Diagnosed with DVT @ 32 weeks & on clexane

Amybee

Reaction score
Hello

This is my first post on this forum and I'm just looking for some advice.

I was diagnosed with a big DVT in my femoral vein on Monday at 32 weeks. I've had it since 29 weeks but it was undiagnosed in all that time despite several hospital/doctors visits (long story!).

Anyway, I'm now out of hospital and have been injecting 80mg of clexane twice a day. I'm seeing a consultant next Tuesday about my future pregnancy care and labour options. My main concern is how the clexane will affect the birth. I have heard that you are supposed to stop injecting clexane as soon as you go into labour as it takes 12 hours to leave your system. The problem would be if my labour is less than 12 hours!

Does anyone know what options they will give me? My baby is currently transverse/oblique so a section could be on the cards too.

If anyone has experienced similar and can let me know how their pregnancy and labour progressed it would be great to talk to someone. I'm still having pain in my leg and can't stand or walk for very long but it's nothing in comparison to the agony I was in for the first few weeks while it was misdiagnosed.

Look forward to hearing from some of you, thanks! :o)

Hi Hun, sorry to hear about the DVT, they are a pain! I had a massive DVT during my last pregnancy (diagnosed at 13 weeks!!) and had clexane all the way through it and for a considerable time after. I'm also on a precautionary preventetive dose for this pregnancy.

Last time, I was told to leave off the clexane if I suspected contractions or if my waters went. I had a normal labour and delivery and no excessive bleeding. I recommend a medicated third stage to deliver the placenta as the drug they give helps to prevent bleeding.

If it appears you may have a shorter labour, the hospital can give you a drug to counteract the clexane, so try not to worry too much!! Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.

Hi, thanks for your reply - your story is really reassuring :) It's good to hear there is a drug they can give to counteract the clexane as that's my main worry. Did they offer you an induction or C section? And did they check to see if your DVT had gone? They said in the hospital that it would go and they wouldn't need to check. It's an excessive DVT but seems to be getting much better from a pain point of view.
Thanks again, Amy

I wasn't offered an induction or a c-section and would have turned it down if they had tbh, but I did have an extra growth scan at 34 weeks. That was more because of how long I had the DVT for though. As long as baby is healthy and happy, there's no reason to put yourself through extra pain as far as I'm concerned lol.

My DVT started in mid calf and ended in my abdomen, I had warfarin for 6 months after my son was born so I did end up having a leg scan to make sure the DVT was still shrinking. I didn't actually have one to ensure it was gone though!!

My pain started to lessen as soon as the blood thinners were working, nasty injections... but so worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->