Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes today...

thelistkeeper

Reaction score
Well, I have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes... now that they test early here, I am glad I know early to take care of myself better...

Also, Friday, have my cerclage surgery scheduled... so much going on, but so happy about my pregnancy and glad I can finally share it with all our family and friends!

Sorry to hear about the diabetes. I am glad that you know because you can look after yourself.

I hope your surgery goes well and enjoy telling everyone!

I was pre diabetic before I knew I was pregnant. Doc thinks it's a matter of time before I get GD. Am pricking myself and am on metformin. I was good with my diet. But the past 2 weeks I have been so hungry and temperamental I have given in to rubbish every 2 to 3 days :(
I would love to share diet tips with you!

Got my appt with the diabetic clinic next week to start classes and get my meter. I am already using a diabetic cookbook and trying to change my habits. Hoping I can control this with diet only and no insulin needed, but the lady who booked me in said she believes they want me on meds already... I didn't think the numbers were that high...

I had GD with my first two, and sure I already do with #3. I use my monitor, and my numbers have been pretty good so far. Good luck! It's totally manageable and not to hard if you do have to go on insulin. Try to avoid glyburide if possible. It's a little pill they try you on first, before insulin. BUT, I would CRASH on it. Low 60's half the time. I would rather just do the shots to get it right the first time!

My level was normal on the morning of my surgery, which I thought was odd... I have my classes this Friday on how to use the monitor and diet and how to give myself insulin...

Well, found out today I will be starting insulin this evening. Did the diet and managing carbs and still having high glucose levels in the evening and first thing in the morning... So I will have to do 2 shots a day... Not too bad, I will do anything they tell me to in order to have a healthy baby...

Sounds like you are being rather sensible so fingers crossed it doesnt get too bad!

Well, I am only just now going on 15 weeks, so I will be doing this a while yet. And they have told me that later in pregnancy is when the need for insulin becomes the greatest, so I better get used to it now... Thanks... I am going to do whatever I have to do to be healthy and have a healthy baby. Next check up next Friday...

Dont worry youll be fine. I have type 1 Diabetes got diagnosed in December iv had Diabetes whilest im pregnant longer than I did when I wasnt pregnant haha my poor body hasnt had time to ajust. Iv just turned 20 so everything is a bit mindblowing. Diabetic team are lovely keep a close eye on you get your urine tested all the time bloods and you get alot more scans than normal pregnancys :D xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi hun, im diabetic type 2.. i was just diet controlled... now im pregnant im 7 weeks im on metformin and started insulin monday.. the 24 hour one in the evening and the food insulin just at breakfast... my sugar levels are still high, so i had to call today and they have upped my dose... be good to stay in touch... what were your sugar levels? i was worried at lunch before food i was 10.2 and then an hour after 7.2(within range) but they vary each day xx

Dont worry youll be fine. I have type 1 Diabetes got diagnosed in December iv had Diabetes whilest im pregnant longer than I did when I wasnt pregnant haha my poor body hasnt had time to ajust. Iv just turned 20 so everything is a bit mindblowing. Diabetic team are lovely keep a close eye on you get your urine tested all the time bloods and you get alot more scans than normal pregnancys :D xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah the diabetic center is wonderful! Everyone there is so understanding and so nice. I usually get more scans and such anyway, I am always a high risk pregnancy. Incompetent cervix, history of premature births will get you that distinction. LOL I am sure I will be fine, just have to keep monitoring everything...

Hi hun, im diabetic type 2.. i was just diet controlled... now im pregnant im 7 weeks im on metformin and started insulin monday.. the 24 hour one in the evening and the food insulin just at breakfast... my sugar levels are still high, so i had to call today and they have upped my dose... be good to stay in touch... what were your sugar levels? i was worried at lunch before food i was 10.2 and then an hour after 7.2(within range) but they vary each day xx

Our numbers are done a little differently here in the US. They have told me the goal is below 90 in the fasting morning sugar, and below 120 2 hours after each meal. So I check my sugar 4 times daily. My highest numbers are first thing in the morning and after dinner, so they seem to think my hormones are whacky at night. I was 96 this morning and 154 last night after dinner after starting the insulin yesterday. They may just need to up my doses as I am only on 2 units at supper and 4 units at bedtime... I will be calling if my numbers are still high tonight and in the morning...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->