Diagnosed with hyperemesis :(

mummySS

Mum of 2!
Reaction score
Hi all, as some of you have probably seen from my moany posts, I have been getting horrid sickness. I FINALLY saw a doctor yesterday that actually listened to me, assessed my symptoms, checked my urine, and diagnosed me officially with HG. (for those of you that don't know, it's a severe form of morning sickness - here's some good links https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/complications/hyperemesis/, https://www.helpher.org/)

People kept telling me to just 'get on with it', 'have a ginger biscuit', 'eat a cracker and you'll be fine', etc etc. Even my mum would tell me I was overreacting and that I couldn't possibly feel this sick.

Thankfully I am avoiding hospital as i'm managing to keep down *some* fluid, so I don't have one of the most severe forms. And it has got a little better in the past couple of weeks.

But GOD I wish they had listened to me earlier! I saw 1 doctor, two nurses and two midwives, and they all sent me away with a condescending 'it's just morning sickness, everyone gets it'. I've had 12 weeks of this and it's been hellish!

Anyway hope my post raises awareness of this condition and prompts people to find a GP that listens... it's so important. I now even have an official note for work that says i need to work from home with amended duties (they offered to sign me off but i said i'd rather not... more fool me!).

:flower:

That's good you've got a diagnosis :thumbup: Have they put you on any antisickness tablets to help?

I've never been diagnosed with it but I assume that is what I had with F and I'm the same this time, even on antisickness tablets I'm still being sick 1-2 times a day and feeling sick for a large chunk of the day and these last few days when I ran out of the tablets I am back to being sick all the time (9 times so far today so feeling rather wobbly!) and like when I was pregnant with F even when I'm not actually being sick I'm feeling sick.

I've been managing to keep sipping fluid through the day to try and keep as hydrated as possible and I'm just eating whatever I can whenever I can no matter how 'bad for me' it is as any food is better than no food.

I don't think people understand unless they have had it. The amount of people that told me with F 'oh you'll be fine once you get to 12 weeks' and 'loads of women get morning sickness', 'it can't be that bad' etc :dohh:

I'm so sorry you had to suffer so long- how dare all those people not listen to you! I'm glad someone is finally helping you! I got put on Zofran and it was a LIFE SAVER!!!! They make a generic now so it isn't very expensive and there is no way I would have been able to survive without it!

Oh no the dreaded HG. Feel so sorry for you. I had it and i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Had mine from 7-14 weeks and lost a stone and a half. Was also in hospital three times to be rehydrated as couldn't even keep water down. Eventually I was prescribed anti sickness tabs. Had quite a few before they found the ones which were suitable for me. Now ok (touch wood) and have felt better since 15-16 weeks. Hope you feel better soon x

KS1977: Should antisickness tablets stop you being sick/feeling sick altogether as I'm still being sick on mine although only 1-2 times a day and feeling nauseous a fair bit too.

KS1977: Should antisickness tablets stop you being sick/feeling sick altogether as I'm still being sick on mine although only 1-2 times a day and feeling nauseous a fair bit too.

Hiya,
I started on Cyclizine and was ok on it for about 4 days, but still felt very tired and groggy. Then after that started being sick again so had to go back. I had about three lots of different tablets before they found one which suited me. You need to go back to the place you got the first lot from and tell them you are still being sick. They may suggest alternative ones that suit you x

Thanks ladies :flower: Sorry to hear you suffered / are suffering.

I've not been put on meds for now as I've been slightly better in the past 2 weeks, but I wish I had been more insistent on them earlier as it would have made the hellish weeks more bearable.

Lottie - so sorry to hear the meds aren't working - make sure you ask to keep trying different ones, I know different ones work for different people. I've done a lot of reading on this and I know Zofran (ondansetron) seems to be very effective but is VERY reluctantly prescribed in the UK as it's expensive and hasn't been tested enough in europe (although in the US it's used a lot and seems to be problem free!). I have also heard that they don't get rid of the nausea necessarily, but should stop at least most of the vomiting.

What i'm learning with the doctors is you have to be very insistent and bossy!

xx

f**ks sake your docs etc are useless. We could all have diagnosed HG weeks ago! Hope youre on the road to feeling a bit better anyway. xxx

Thanks DM :hugs: you're right, i haven't had the best deal doctor wise!

hello all, glad you had a correct diagnosis at last. can I ask if you get horrendous stomach pain with the sickness? My stomach has been dodgy for a month and have had sever pain with it and sickness..just wondered if it could be this?

many thanks x

Oh hun I feel for you, I really do. I suffered with it from weeks 5-16.

I was prescribed Cyclizine and did take it sometimes, although I found it didn't help much at all in the end.

I feel wonderful now, but my god I have never felt so terrible in all my life.

Just try and do what you can to get by x x

You poor thing. I am on my 3rd HG pregnancy. 1st was horrid as no one diagnosed it until around 10 weeks by which point i was rock bottom. The second one i got basic tablets that never really worked but this time i have been given ondansetron (i have the worlds best ever doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and whilst it has been horrid with 15lbs lost 1 and almost 2 hospital stays it has been more bearable. All due to one small tablet that no one wants to hand out!!!!!!! It never took away the nausea (not up until 14 weeks anyway) but it has stopped me being sick. It has stopped the weight loss too thank goodness.

So sorry it has taken you this long to get help. It sounds like they are too late. People are too quick to pass it off as 'normal'. There is NOTHING normal about hyperemesis.

Feel better soon. We are here for you xxx

I had HG at 11 weeks. I started being unable to keep anything down for two days in a row, and by the end of the second day, and throwing up every 5 minutes for an hour, I knew it wasn't normal. My doctor sent me to the hospital right away and I was there for three days on IV fluids, Zofran, and Benadryl. If the pills you have aren't helping you, ask for something different. If you've tried everything and nothing helps, try taking benadryl with it, too. It helps a lot, trust me. They tried to put me on phenergan but that stuff made me throw up even more. I ended up on Reglan in the end. They gave me a subcutaneous pump of Zofran before I left the hospital, to control my nausea. It was a nightmare to deal with, but it really helped my nausea so much, I was very grateful for it. I ended up switching to Reglan though because the Zofran is a lot more irritating to the skin, and I already have sensitive skin anyway. It finally went away and I was off the pump before Christmas, but around New Years I've started getting regular morning sickness again. I'm nauseous constantly, but hungry constantly, and throw up frequently in the mornings and always when I take a shower, and often when I wash my hands. I don't know why but running water really sets my stomach off.

I'm glad you've finally got a diagnosis. I've had the same difficulties with getting my SPD diagnosed, too. These doctors are so used to "normal" pregnancies, they seem to forget that not everyone is "normal" and that sometimes things happen that are not normal. Personally, though, I think my dr just doesn't care.

@ Mummy1980: I don't remember having any stomach pain with the hyperemesis. If you're having pain in your stomach along with the vomiting, you might have some kind of virus or other infection. I'd check with your doctor if I were you.

I had the same diagnosis in my first tri, unfortunately I wasnt able to avoid the hospital and was there a few times for fluids and such, and my doctor prescribed me Zofran. It makes the quality of pregnant life so much better, It really helped with my sickness and didnt make me sleepy so I was actually able to enjoy my days. You should ask your doctor about Zofran. It's totally safe & my doc is still giving me refills and i'm in my second tri and have a totally healthy baby. Hope you feel better =)

Huge thanks ladies, your support really helps.

Lea - you're right the diagnosis just came too late... Next time (yes, I am bravely talking about a next time already!) I will know what to expect and be far better prepared. I'm so pleased you finally have something that's working.

Mummy1980- I don't really get sharp pains, that could just be the pains of your uterus stretching, but if you're worried do see your doctor.

Giving love and hugs to anyone that's still going through this!

xx

Just a question for all of you ladies, when did the nausea actually go away? I've been on Zofran since I was 6 weeks and I would love to be able to go off it eventually!

lol. that used to really bug me 'have a gineger biscuit' i dont want a bloody ginger biscuit!!!!

on a more serious note, i hope you feel better soon and its good you are gettings ome help xxx

Just a question for all of you ladies, when did the nausea actually go away? I've been on Zofran since I was 6 weeks and I would love to be able to go off it eventually!

The nausea for me went away around 15 weeks when the hormones had settled and second tri began to move along. x

With my first 2 it was 20 weeks. With my ondanestron this time I think it will be earlier as i am starting to feel a little better and I am only 14 weeks. Hoping to be able to eat again in 2 weeks time!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->