Diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Blah11, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

Ok so I'm 30w tomorrow and for the past week I've had really bad gastro issues. I get crippling cramps that go round my stomach and sides/back and down into my groin andthighs. The first ttime it happened I thought it was labour but it goes away after a bathroom trip (yellow watery disgusting). Then im left with a very sore tummy and back from sore muscles. This happens loads everyday (4 times overnight last night) approx 10 times a day.

Anyone else had anything similar :(?

2. whittnie117

whittnie117 Well-Known Member

I'd talk to your doctor. I have constipation one week and then diarrhea the next week. I have never had it as intense as you have though. Going to the restroom for diarrhea 10 times a day is excessive. It could be a bug and it couldn't hurt to let the OB know what's going on to get it checked out. It could be normal, unfortunately, but I've not read anything about THAT much for a pregnant woman.

Hope you get some relief soon.

3. Blah11

Thanks for the reply. I seen my midwife yesterday who suggested I bring in a specimen if things havent improved by Monday. However, I think it's got even worse so I might just make a GP appointment for this afternoon and take a specimen in with me. It seems like everytime I eat and drink an hour after it just all comes out :(:( makes you feel absolutely rotten.

4. angelandbump

angelandbump Working Mum :o)

I agree about booking an appt sooner only because you may end up dehydrated which can cause pre term labour. I have had loose stools for about a week but everyone is telling me its my body clearing out lol x

5. Ninagrrl

Ninagrrl Well-Known Member

It sounds like Gastric Dumping Syndrome. I had that for many years and it became worse during pregnancy. I think mine was a combination of a bunch of things, had my gallbladder out due to gallbladder disease, have diabetes and am also gluten intolerant but since I am gluten free 99% of the time and my diabetes are under control, it hasn't bothered me this pregnancy and is nearly gone. During my first pregnancy it was horrible towards the end. Also, the gas can be made worse simply from gas getting trapped in your intestines from baby laying a certain way. When a bowel movement can't go through when it needs to, gas builds up to try and push itself through and your body will add excess fluids to also try to push it through, turning into diarrhea. It also could be irritable bowl syndrome or you could be eating something/drinking something that is irritating your system that normally you could eat or drink before but your body no longer tolerates. When you are pregnant, your system becomes hyper vigilant and if it thinks you are ingesting something that could possibly harm the baby, it will flush it out as fast as possible.

Other then a bug, the best thing to do is to try and eat more protein in your diet with less "junk" like sugary or processed foods like white bread/pasta/rice and avoid greasy foods. Sometimes adding a yogurt with live cultures can help along with whole grains that are high in fiber. While you have diarrhea you need to remember to drink lots of fluids, as you can dehydrate really fast.

6. lau86

lau86 Well-Known Member

I had it last pregnancy when I was around 25 weeks, it was like yours lasting a long time so I booked a gp appointment and they put it down to a viral gastroenteritis. They just said in pregnancy these things can last longer due to immunity being dampened down. They were only concerned about my hydration which was fine as I was completely able to drink it was all just coming back out!

7. Blah11

Worse than ever today! Feel like I need to go constantly but nothing is coming out. Feel pressure in my stomach too.

8. whittnie117

whittnie117 Well-Known Member

I just thought of something else. I was reading a lot where a lot of women on here have stopped their prenatals. Have you? If you are having such intense diarrhea, I would be concerned that my body wasn't picking up enough nutrients from foods. I'd really get in contact with your health care provider to just check. You can still get dehydrated if you're expelling too much watery stool as well. I had this horrible flu a few years ago and I drank plenty, but got so dehydrated I had to be on IV fluids. Not to scare you or anything, I just remembered about the nutrient trapping as that would be a main concern for at least me if I were having so many tummy troubles.

I really, really hope you feel better. I can barely handle the diarrhea I get, I couldn't imagine having to go through all what you are right now in addition to all the other pregnancy issues. :hugs:

9. Heramys

Heramys It's TWINS!!

Rehydration sachets all the way for you! 1,5-2 litres a day.
    And a doc appointment.

10. Nikkinoonoo

Nikkinoonoo Mummy to a gorgeous girl

I had a few bouts of the runs myself the past few weeks, nothing on the scale of yours by the sounds of it but I was told Dioralite is ok to take. It tastes nasty but it will help to restore your fluid losses. Hope you feel better soon and the doctor can get to the bottom of it for you. Did you book an appt? xXx