did anyone drink a lot in week 4?

vids

Reaction score
I drank 2 drinks per day for 5 days straight on the 4th week (client mtgs)- i obviously didn't know i was pregnant. at the end of that week i got my bfp.
I'm anxious because i see so much conflicting info out there.

One view is that beg of week 4 is the embryonic period, which is when mother's nutrients pass on to the embryo, which means high risk for Fetal alcohol syndrome (which can't be detected in prenatal tests apparently)

Another view is that upto week 6 embroyo gets it's nutrients from the yolk sac (no clue where the yolk sac gets it from) vs. getting in from placenta, which only starts working after week 6.

When i asked my doctor, she said as long as you've stopped drinking now - that's all that matters.

This keeps me up at night :(

anyone else go through the same thing?

It was too early. Don't worry about it. My dr said don't worry about any drinking you did before your bfp. Chances are the baby didn't implant til about 9dpo which is a little over 3 1/2 weeks. You may have had 3/4 days that you were techically pregnant before your bfp... Unless you chugged a handle of vodka I'd save the worrying for a million other things coming right up lol.. GL

Everything is probably fine. Placenta doesn't take over until 10-12 weeks.
I also had a few drinks the week before getting my BFP cause we weren't actually trying lol! So I had no idea I could have even been pregnant. I'd even taken sleeping pills for two nights as well and nurofen.
I freaked out once I got my BFP but everything is fine :)

Nobody here is an expert, so just listen to your doctor. I had a massive night out at a Christmas party before I knew I was pregnant last time. That was probably closer to week 5. My little boy is perfect and sharp as a tack. That's no guarantee about anyone else's situation, of course, but I think you'll find if you ask your doctor, FAS is generally only seen in the babies of alcoholics.

I wouldn't worry about it tbh. There are millions of women who didn't know they were pregnant until at least 4 weeks (often later) and would have drunk alcohol or smoked before they got BFP and their babies are ok. Plenty of women don't know they're pregnant until the birth and their babies are fine too!

Also keep in mind there are people who drink their whole pregnancies and smoke too. This awful girl I went to school with smoked cigs, weed and drank pretty much every day when she was pregnant. It was disgusting to see. Especially since she got off bc to get pregnant. Her baby was born on time and healthy. Although I dont know how he is doing now. I always wonder about long term affects like learning disorders. But I think you're ok.

I think your situation is extremely common. Many women drink until they get their BFP, especially with surprise pregnancies which happen a lot. And even for women who are actively TTC, I think it's unusual to abstain from alcohol simply because you're trying to get pregnant, which can take years. And we're not seeing babies with FAS all over the place. It's something you see in mothers who are alcoholics... drinking lots of drinks daily throughout their entire pregnancy.

You'll be absolutely fine. I had two very boozy weekends in a row at 3 and 4 weeks pregnant. Most of my pals who got pregnant were the same as you don't know at the time.
It's so early it won't have any effect. X

Hi, I popped over from second tri. I drank more than I ever have in the 2 months into my pregnancy. I drank heavily at least 8 times and I normally drink once every 4 months so when I found out I was pregnant I was sooooo upset. Thinking something had to be wrong with my baby. I'm now 23 weeks with a perfectly healthy baby girl. 4 weeks is really early I'm sure everything will be fine. Trust me and save yourself the worry and guilt. I know it would have made my first trimester a lot easier....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->