Did anyone's LO still have to be swaddled at 9 weeks old?

britt1986

Reaction score
My son is 9 weeks old and still has to be swaddled in order to go to sleep. On some occasions when he is in a deep sleep I can unwrap him and he will stay a sleep. He still sleeps around 14-16 hours in a 24 hour period and I don't want him to not have good arm control. Is it ok that he is still having to be swaddled? How can I encourage him to sleep without it?

Hi, my son was swaddled until 16 weeks and the HV sais that it was ok and not to worry. She did suggest half swaddling him. So a few nights I tried with one arm swaddled and the other not (difficult to try to position the blanket but managed it). Then I swaddle him but left both arms out. And at 18 weeks he was in a sleepbag sleeping through the night.
You could give that a go.
Or maybe put him at the bottom of the cot and get a blanket and put that over him and wrap it underneath the cot. Bit less restrictive than swaddling.

My little one is 16 weeks and still swaddled - if she's not she wakes herself up by hitting herself in the face haha! HV said it's okay though!

I swaddled until 4.5 months, if your swaddling for naps Id start with that and then try the above post at night.

swaddlind did not last long for us but my friends baby who is 2 weeks younger still swaddles and he is 9 months he is far too much of a fidgit not too and he has great motor and hand/eye coordination x

I swaddled until 1 week ago. Noah wouldn't sleep without, he weaned himself off it in the end, just kept trying every now and again without it, then in the end he just slept in his bag. Has done for the last week now, all on his own accord. Also Noah isn't delayed in any way because of it. xxx

Thanks ladies. That makes me feel a lot better.

we still swaddle, theres no way he would stay asleep without it x

I swaddled my twins for months,they loved it :)

I am still swaddling and she is 5mo old, if I dont she will never sleep because she would be up playing with her fingers. I would like to wean her away from the swaddling but Im not sure when that will happen.

My LO is 7 months and still likes to be swaddled at night. I don't do it very tight, so he can get out of it if he wants to.
He's very good at waking himself up and keeping himself awake by shaking his arms about, so the swaddling really helps him get to sleep.
I feel really bad about still doing it at his age, but I know that if he wants to he can "break free." And I don't see the point in stopping doing something that suits you and your LO just because it isn't the "norm" :)

We stopped swaddling when LO was able to roll back to stomach and vice versa while sleeping, so yes, we continued to swaddle past 9 weeks also :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->