did they reject me just cause im pregnant?

Christine1993

Full-time mummy to Aidan
Reaction score
i've decided i wanted to earn some extra cash so today in town i noticed toy master had a job advertisement in their window - temporary 12 hours a week. sounds perfect huh just to get some extra pennies coming in ! so i went in & this woman was all for it telling me in was 2 days a week, i would have to cover shifts, if i had work experience & she seemed impressed that i had done certain simular things before & she was saying not to bother about filling in an application form. then i turned to my mum & i think she seen my stomach and this baby belly all hanging out and she turned to me and went 'how old are you btw?' i told her i was 16 and she said 'oh we dont take on 16 year olds'. I was thinking BULLSHIT, about 2 of my friends used to work there when they were 15 and the one in the bigger town i have a friend who's 16 who works there. I was raging. Do u think she just rejected me because i was pregnant? Gaaah !

Unfortunately it sounds like it. They aren't allowed to discriminate against pregnancy so she had to pull another excuse out of her a**
If you really need the job then maybe see a lawyer (solicitor over there, right?) and get statements from the people you know that worked there at or below age 16. If it's a temporary job that's only 12 hours a week they have to worry about paying mat leave and stuff right? and you wont be missing work for appointments with so little hours so there really is no excuse not to give you the job.

Hmm...Sounds like she's discriminating. I'd get in contact with their head office, or just ring one of their shops and just ask them "I'm interested in a job with you, do you employ 16 year olds?" If they say they do then say I feel I've been discriminated against by one of your employees, blah blah, I spoke to her and it all sounded very positive and promising, then I moved and she saw that I was pregnant and told me that you don't employ 16 year olds...If you DO employ 16 year olds, then surely this lady lied to me? Something like that... I'd definitely find out if she was telling the truth and if not submit a complaint.

:hugs: Sounds like it to me I'm afraid.. they can't discriminate against you because you're pregnant.. but they can pretty much say whatever they want to hide that as a reason. I agree with nightkd, call their head office and ask how early they hire and then have a word if you think there was an issue. Did you get your interviewer's name?

What a bitch! Call the head office and either make a formal complaint or demand an explanation. I'd of been really pissed off and would of had it out with her there and then but that's just me being me lol xxx

They're not allowed to by law but it does happen, i'd make a formal complaint if i were you because it sounds like she definatly discriminated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"