Did you find a swing helped your baby to self-settle to sleep?

Feline

OMG I'm a mummy!!
Reaction score
The Happiest Baby book suggests you can get your GP's permission to let LO sleep at night in a fully reclined swing, if you're experiencing sleeping problems. My LO is going through a hellish 4 month sleep regression that I don't see any solution to other than waiting it out...which could be years. :-o. He falls asleep and self settles when in his pushchair - he really likes the rocking movement. What I was wondering was, assuming I get my GP's permission, did you find a swing actually helped your baby self-settle to sleep without being fed to sleep etc first? I'm probably clutching at straws but am willing to invest in a swing if it might actually help.

Unfortunately at the moment my very spirited baby uses breast feeding to get to sleep - both at bed time and during the night. He loves his food and knows what he wants so sadly gentle 'no cry' methods aren't having any impact.

Any success stories with swings?

Thanks in advance girlies. Xx

I wouldn't say it helped her to self-soothe, because in actuality the rocking motion is a sleep assocition.... But it certainly helped us get some uniterrupted sleep during tough times! I don't thin it would hurt to give it a go. At some point you'll have to wean her off of the rocking, but I think Karp recommends slowly reducing the speed over time and that seems to work well.

My first would nap in the swing, my second doesn't go in it not his thing at all. I would never put a baby to sleep in one but I know lots of people do, I don't think its self settling at all though as they are being rocked.

Of course girls, you are right about the sleep association thing...I guess it's an association I can live with though because it doesn't involve me having to get up so many times in the night!

Noelle, I'm guessing your LO didn't sleep in it overnight, you just used it for naps?xx

I'm currently using a combination of swing and Ewan the sheep to get my LO to take day time naps. Before this combination she would only nap in my arms, in the car or in a sling.

I'm hoping that in a while I can remove the swing and keep the music from the sheep to try and guide her into sleepy time.

I have to say- for me, the swing has been a lifesaver!
Managed to get a brand new one for £24 on eBay!

Of course girls, you are right about the sleep association thing...I guess it's an association I can live with though because it doesn't involve me having to get up so many times in the night!

Noelle, I'm guessing your LO didn't sleep in it overnight, you just used it for naps?xx

She slept in the swing at night when we had a rough time... Usually after 2am or so, up until around 4 months. We used it for naps until around 6 months.

I know every pediatrician is different, but mine said it was fine. She explained that things like swings and rock-n-play sleepers having warnings that they aren't intended for overnight sleep, but that's really for babies that are STTN or for longer stretches. A baby that's up every 2 hours or so is basically taking a series of long naps all night!

Thanks Noelle and thanks Wellington ...your comments are muchly appreciated. Xx

The rocking is helping the baby to fall asleep, so the baby is being 'sent to sleep' rather than self soothing.
My LO used to go to sleep easily in the swing but has never learnt to self soothe to this day!
I think swings are invaluable though, it helped us a lot in the early days :flower:

We used a swing to get our baby to sleep. Now he doesn't seem to need it. Though some nights are definitely better than others for sleep!

I do think it's a tool of self settling because although LO is being rocked, it's not being done by mom or dad, which is a step in the right direction.

Depends on the baby honestly. Worked wonders for my cousins twins but my LO can take it or leave it

The first 5 months of my son's life he only slept in a swing. As a newborn he slept in his pack and play for about a week and then would no longer sleep in it. He napped and only slept in the swing. I tried being sneaky and placing him in his crib when he fell asleep in the swing but he would only sleep a max of 15 mins and then wake up.

I asked his pediatrician and she said I could keep him in the swing until 6 months. He has no softening neck muscles, his head was not being pushed flat from it, and he had no "spots" on the back of his head (it happens when the skull softens). His doctor gave me the green light but thankfully at 5 months old I got him into the crib.

When your LO is ready he will sleep in his crib - right now the rocking motion of the swing reminds him of the womb and comforts him. Good luck. :)

Thanks Greenbeans, that's really helpful. X

Swing works great with us but we're trying to wean from it as he's getting too long for it and keeps kicking to push himself off. TBH, I don't know if it's worth it for just a month and half and then you'll have to wean your LO off it, but if you're desperate, then I suppose I would try anything too, I know I'm glad I have it when he wakes up in the early morning and won't go back to sleep any other way. We're going through a crappy sleeping phase too :(.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->