• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Did you know there were 2?

PugMama22

Reaction score
Hey ladies! Did any of you suspect you were pregnant with twins/multiples before your first scan? If so, what made you suspicious?

I'm just curious. My Dad and my maternal grandfather were both fraternal twins and I'm pregnant with my first so I can't help but wonder? Thanks ladies! :flower:

We have never had twins in the family until mine... But I knew something was different very early on in the pregnancy as i felt so different compared to when I had my daughter! All my hormones were on hyperdrive and all the usual pregnancy symptoms were much more pronounced than with my first. I also knew I was pregnant before my late period, because of the increased hormones!! When I went for my 12 week scan and they told me it was twins I just laughed- it just made sense!!

Well fraternals can only run on a womans side of the family so it wouldnt come from your dad its about the amount of eggs you release and there is no explanation for identicals.

My mum had twins but I didnt have a clue. I had a scan at 6 weeks and there was 2 sacs but only one baby she said it was a failed pregnancy so even when I went back at 8 weeks I didnt expect to see two.

Congrats on your baby.

yes i had a strong feeling , talked about it for weeks and even when walking into the scan. I knew how i fekt pregnant before and this time every sympton was so much worse, sickness and tiredness awful!

I had not a clue.

I didn't find out until I was 18 weeks along. One of the doctors in my office did a bedside ultrasound for my 1st one because I couldn't get in to see a tech...he missed the other baby.

the only reason I found out when I did was because I was feeling horrible...and had to have an ultrasound to check everything...and there was the other baby...talk about a shocker. Esp. after hearing "there's definitely only 1"

Hey ladies! Did any of you suspect you were pregnant with twins/multiples before your first scan? If so, what made you suspicious?

I'm just curious. My Dad and my maternal grandfather were both fraternal twins and I'm pregnant with my first so I can't help but wonder? Thanks ladies! :flower:
Of the factors that influence multiple birth, there is only one that could be identified as genetic or explained by family history: hyper ovulation. Hyper ovulation is the tendency to release multiple eggs during ovulation, increasing the chances of conceiving dizygotic (or fraternal) twins. So, in families where the women have a gene for hyperovulation, genetics would sufficiently explain an increased presence of fraternal twins.

However, only women ovulate. While men can carry the gene and pass it on to their daughters, a family history of twins doesn't make them any more likely to have twins themselves. Fraternal twins "run in families" if she inherits the gene for hyper ovulation.

If you consider the influence of genetic hyper ovulation, this pattern could appear in families depending on whether their children were sons or daughters.

Generation 1: Grandma
Grandma has the gene for hyperovulation. She & Grandpa have fraternal boy twins, Rob and Bob

Generation 2: Rob & Bob
While Grandma's sons may carry the gene for hyperovulation, they do not ovulate. They will not have twins (excluding other factors). However, they each have a daughter.

Generation 3: Molly & Polly
Molly and Polly, cousins, inherit the gene for hyperovulation from their fathers. They each have a set of twins.

You can see how this example makes it appear that twins skip a generation in families. The pattern is influenced by whether the inheritor of the hyper ovulation gene is male or female.

Well fraternals can only run on a womans side of the family so it wouldnt come from your dad its about the amount of eggs you release and there is no explanation for identicals.

Exactly what Laura said...

I had IVF and they put in two embryo's due to my age but i never thought both would take, i just hoping for one so at the scan and they told me twins, I nearly died.
I had no idea, i felt no different then what I did with my 3 singltons.

Congrats

I'm the one who told the dr to look for another one- she gasped and said "You're right, there's baby number two!"
So, yeah, guess I knew ;)

Yup...Somehow I knew twins were next, even before I got pregnant! I told the midwife that we wanted to take a look, and she about jumped out of her chair when she saw two! I had never been so sick or tired with any of the others...We just knew!

Hi,
i had a niggling feeling there might be two, as i had symptoms early on and also had +test before AF was due.
i asked my midwife at my booking in appt if there might be two as i was getting big at 8wks but she said no. Then at my scan there they were!!! lol
my Grandmother had fraternal b/g twins x

I had no idea whatsoever!! I have no twins in my family so was a huge surprise. I didn't have many pregnancy symptoms and didn't show early either, so when i was told there were 2 i nearly passed out!

I had a feeling, can't really explain it, it was just something in my head!

But twins do run in my family, my mums a twin, and I know its meant to skip a generation, so it wasnt impossible!

Plus there had to be something to explain why I was soooooooo ill, when in my first pregnancy I had no problems at all with morning sickness!

Although, I was only 17 at the time, so the thought of having twins doesnt really cross your mind when you're that age, seems silly saying that now, cos obviously you can have twins at any age, but I have always known older people to have twins or they already have 2 or 3 kids to start with!

I knew I was. Don't ask me what made me think there was more than one, but I knew. Just like I knew they were boys. It is weird. I had just a weird 'feeling'. I don't know how to explain it!

I didn't have a clue. I havn't been pregnant before, so I couldn't tell if anything was "different".
This was somewhat of a surprise pregnancy, so we were still getting our heads around the idea of a baby when we found out we were expecting twins! We feel so lucky.

I had no idea there was 2
you should have seen my dh face when the sonographer said twins lol, its maing me chuckle now

he was so shocked but so happy!
it didnt click with me till he said twins!

theres none in either family, so our girls are the first

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"