Did you produce more milk with second baby?

Fizzyfefe

Mama and pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Long story short, I failed to EBF my son because of low supply/flat nipples. I tried every trick in the book to increase supply, to no avail. It was a horrible experience that I still have regrets about to this day, and I am so anxious to not repeat this with the twins.

My question is, for those that had low supply with their first baby, did your supply increase the second time around? If so, do you have an idea why? (Did your labor and/or birth go differently, or something else?)

I think I am producing less with the second baby. But breastfeeding has been SO much easier this time than it was the first time so hopefully will be the case for you too! :)

I think I am producing more with my second baby. For one, the little guy just seems to want to nurse more often than my daughter did. I pumped just a bit (like once a day) in the first week because he was not gaining that quickly--I'm not sure if that had an effect. And, I got his tongue and lip tie released and I think my daughter did not nurse well due to an undiagnosed tie. So, for all those reasons, I think I'm producing a bit more.

Each subsequent pregnancy you grow more breast tissue, so more milk glands to fill up with milk.

Do you have access to an IBCLC you can get connected with immediately after birth to help with latch?

That's interesting about growing breast tissue. My breasts never enlarged with my first. Do you have any links so I can do some additional research?

I don't know about an IBCLC because I haven't done the hospital tour yet. With my first, I had multiple LCs coming multiple times a day and they told me his latch was perfect and he was getting plenty... But they were wrong and he was literally starving.

Nursing was much easier with the 2nd baby (perhaps from having experience from the 1st?). And I'm not afraid to unlatch from a bad latch, and know the difference between a bad/good latch.

Milk came in much sooner compared to the 1st baby. Supply increased too (but I think it is because baby#2 drinks more compared to the 1st) :shrug:

Labor/birth was very similar with 1st (both natural vaginal birth) except it was much quicker! :thumbup:

Fizzy I am trying to find the page where I read this.
I remember finding that information when researching BFAR (breast feeding after reduction) and the article went into recannalization of nerves and growth of breast tissue with pregnancy--hereby concluding that breastfeeding may very well get easier with each subsequent pg.

Sorry to hear your CLCs in the past were not helpful. IS there LLL in your area?

Kind of. I just looked it up; I live in a metro area but the closest chapter is about 45 minutes away. It was not available when I had my last baby so I haven't really looked in to it. Do they come to you or do you have to go to them?

I had more with my second but with my first many things could have been to blame for a low supply.

First:
Pituitary Tumor and meds in pregnancy
Hashimotos
C-Section
Corrected tongue tie
Flat Nipples
Nipple Shield

Second:
Vaginal Birth
None of the above problems
Nursing toddler

With my first Fenugreek increased my supply within a week. Have you given it a try? Also a bad latch can result ina lower supply so I'd definitely get help with that.

Lack of breast change can be a sign of IGT (insufficient glandular tissue). There are SO many hormonal reasons for low supply. Its really not all that uncommon. I didnt have any milk with my first. With my second, I had a maximum output of 1 ounce per day. Im hoping now that I know what tests to run to figure things out hormonally, I'll be more successful this time around. Also, Fenugreek is really harmful if you have any issues with your thyroid or insulin resistance. So be careful there. I have issues with both, and was taking 30 fenugreek a day (because everyone said you need to smell like maple syrup for it to work) and nothing was happening. Come to find out it was hurting me more than helping. Theres a really great group on facebook for low supply moms. Tons of information and support. I can get you the information if youd like, just send me a message here. :hugs:

I don't know if it had anything to do with more milk but my second baby always chokes on my let down which never happened with my first... So maybe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->