Did you stop formula cold turkey at 12 months?

MissMarpleFan

Reaction score
My daughter’s birthday is next week and I still have an unopened large can of formula. I figure she’ll finish it and hopefully I won’t have to buy anymore. Her father is one of those people who drinks a lot of dairy milk, so I’m not too worried she’ll have digestive issues.

Do you switch to all cows milk right away? Do you carry a cooler bag of milk bottles with you when you go out, or do you stick to solid food on outings?

My older two was on cows milk from 12 months, and they only really had a big bottle a milk morning and night, sometimes afternoon before the naps, so I didn't take milk out with me, only their water or juice and whatever food I've made up for them that day

Thanks for your answer. While she loves solid food, particularly whatever I’m eating, she’s still drinking several bottles per day and meals are often on the small side. Maybe her doctor will tell me to try to take them away at her 12 month appointment next week. It would be nice not to carry bottles around!

It's always nice to say goodbye to bottles! :haha: just keep to maybe a few bottles a day at home, if your out you could always take warm milk in a thermal flask? Kind of like an on the go cup of tea for your little one! I never done this because my two didn't drink that much milk at that point, I'm pretty sure it was around 3 full bottles of milk, not sure on the ounces or mls I just used to fill it to the top of cows milk and heat in microwave, their meals consisted of whatever I ate, baby friendly of course and if I felt they hadn't drank much milk that particular day, I'd give them a yoghurt or two for dessert, or some strips of cheese for a snack

Some of my friends weaned off by diluting the formula with milk until eventually they were just drinking milk. :)

Some of my friends weaned off by diluting the formula with milk until eventually they were just drinking milk. :)

That's what I did with my DDs bottles too, it helped with the adjustment.

I gradually reduced the bottles in the day as she ate more food x

Saw the doctor today, she has grown a lot - jumped percentiles from 25th weight and BMI to 46th and 56th. Her doctor wasn’t concerned she doesn’t have much interest in milk in sippy cups, and says she’s obviously eating enough even though sometimes like today she’s only had two tiny meals (and one snack overload).
So far she seems equally happy with formula vs whole milk, so long as it’s in the bottle.

Saw the doctor today, she has grown a lot - jumped percentiles from 25th weight and BMI to 46th and 56th. Her doctor wasn’t concerned she doesn’t have much interest in milk in sippy cups, and says she’s obviously eating enough even though sometimes like today she’s only had two tiny meals (and one snack overload).
So far she seems equally happy with formula vs whole milk, so long as it’s in the bottle.

Glad she’s doing so well ! X

I will add that she is not generally finishing the cows milk bottles, so she might miss formula.

Since she’s grown so well, I’m not going to worry about it right now! She’s also teething and has a cold.

I wanted to update the thread for any future worriers: two weeks in, and she is enjoying her cow milk just fine. No toddler formula here. I’ll have to work on reducing the amount of milk and increasing the food though.

Its “no cows milk as a drink BEFORE 12 months”. It’s not that at 12 months they must drink cows milk.

However it’s the bottles themselves (not the drink) that they want you to wean off ASAP, so if you still have formula in your cupboard use it, but just in a cup or sippy bottle. Obviously formula is expensive so a child who is eating well can be weaned off formula, and if they like it can have cows milk as a drink at 12 months. However they don’t need cows milk to drink, just sources of dairy (cheese, butter, yoghurt) - or dairy alternatives if vegan. Drinking lots of cows milk can cause reduced appetite and constipation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->