Did you take prenatals while TTC?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by jess1983, Jun 1, 2011.

1. jess1983

jess1983 Mother of 3

I was just wondering if any of you guys to prenatals while TTC and maybe what kind? I am going to begin TTC in about 3 weeks and was wondering if I should start taking them

2. Housewife83

Housewife83 Wife and Mum of 1 boy

I've heard that you should but I don't know how far in advance. Could your medical professional give you some advice about a particular brand?

3. Sketcher

Sketcher Well-Known Member

Yep I did, actually they were pregnacare conception, had something that possibly made things more 'sticky'. I got pregnant first month trying so maybe it helped, worth a try anyway. It's good also to prepare your body, getting as healthy as you can.

4. Dollface

Dollface Thank you Jesus!

I bought some from Wlamart, just to grow my hair out. The next month, first try ttc, BOOM! I'm preg! LoL! I would recommend taking them starting now, as you need folic acid to protect against neural tube defects, and that can happen before you realise your pregnant. Good luck!

5. mamawannabee

mamawannabee Natural Mama/WTT #2

I would take them too, I did and though I don't think it helped me conceive, they make for a healthier you and healthier pregnancy once you are pregnant. They most certainly won't hurt, so why not

6. Sketcher

Sketcher Well-Known Member

Yep that's right about the folic acid x

7. cantwaitforu

cantwaitforu Mom of two boys and prego

You need to begin taking them at least three months before you get pregnant - this is what my doctor recommended. I began taking them over a year ago, so my body had very good vitamin storage by the time I got my bfp.

I take an all-natural vitamin that breaks up the dosages to twice a day (this is recommended because it means I consistently have vitamins going through my body every 12 hours.

The sooner the better. While your baby is developing in the first weeks, it's pretty much feeding off of your storage. Your baby is what you are before you get pregnant as well.

Best of luck!

8. TheNewWife

TheNewWife In love with my girls

You definitely should. I did with my first two but this pregnancy was a surprise so I missed the boat. I'm taking them now, though.

9. dreamer1978

dreamer1978 Guest

I got a prescription for folic acid, and took Flintstones. I have prenatals now that I HATE. But, the folic acid is really important. I was told three months of it before TTC.

10. jess1983

jess1983 Mother of 3

thank you guys so much I will go buy some today. hugs to all of you

11. mrsrof

mrsrof Mum to one :)

I didn't take them as it literally was our first month trying and we'd barely got our heads around ovulation etc...but I started taking them the day we found out.

12. LuckyInLove09

LuckyInLove09 Expecting our little girl

I started taking mine 3 months before I became pregnant! I just had an over the counter prenatal vitamin by Nature Made that had plenty of folic acid and other vitamins. I had to stop taking it at 9 weeks because my nausea got so bad and I couldn't keep the vitamins down anymore. Now I'm taking the prenatal gummy vitamins twice a day and they are much easier on my stomach.

I'd definitely recommend starting a prenatal now if you are going to TTC soon. Baby dust to you! :)

13. ao30

ao30 Well-Known Member

I started taking them in April '10, so I've been on them for well over a year. Didn't do that on purpose really, but I wanted to be ready in case we got pregnant, and it has taken a long time...

14. Julia323

Julia323 Well-Known Member

Years ago I'd read an article that all women who "could" get pregnant should be on prenatal vitamins as their daily multi because the folic acid is most needed and useful before most women even know they're pregnant.

Knowing that, I started taking Prenatal vitamins about 2 years ago, but could never remember to take a daily pill (hence why I never stuck with BC pill either!). I started taking them regularly about 4 months ago (when we were WTT).

15. NDH

NDH 5 on earth, 6 in heaven, 1 in utero

I've been taking a good quality multivitamin for a year that has everything essential in a prenatal. When I got my :bfp: I also started taking an additional folic acid supplement. My vitamin has 500mcg of folate, and the minimum recommended dose is 400mcg but I wanted to double it to be safe. I'll continue taking the vitamins for the rest of my childbearing years to on the safe side.

16. SpunkyMunkey

SpunkyMunkey Well-Known Member

I started taking them when 3 months before we conceived, just to try to regulate my cycle better (which it did) and I think largely because of that we were able to conceive, but I have no proof of that, as we had not tried before then.

17. apple84

apple84 Well-Known Member

I took them for several months before ttc

18. tbaby

tbaby Well-Known Member

I was told by a nutrionist not to take them because their are extra vitamins in them for you and the baby and their are some vitamins your body doesnt pee out.. I took aspiring mom vitamins from iherb.com I did stop them because I was ttc for almost 2 years. I also am not taking prenatals instead I am getting my vitamins through food because I only eat meat, nuts, fruits and veggies..

19. RedheadBabies

RedheadBabies Expecting #3!

I got an RX from my doc for them, and they are free at certain pharmacies (at least around me). I just take what they give me as the free ones. It has the recommended amount of folic acid, plus lots of other goodies for me and baby. :) I started taking them a couple months before we conceived the first time, and just continued through the MC, and am now pregnant again.:thumbup: I have beautiful nails and hair, but I have to cut them all the time because they grow like crazy!!

20. Yersinia

Yersinia Well-Known Member

I did take folic acid, and some multivitamin while trying - it took us three months (I had to figure out my cycle etc.), so I wanted to be ready with vitamins for a baby straight away :)