Dilated kidneys :(

L

Lilahs Mum

Hi ladies, well I had my first midwife appointment last night which seemed to take FOREVER to come! During the appointment I asked about the anomaly scan, and she opened the file and briefly read the report to us. Then she says 'oh this should have been written in your file I'm sorry'. I'm like "WHAT????" She then told us that our baby's kidneys are 'slightly' dilated!? :cry: My immediate reaction was panic of course. She said if you want to find anything in your 20 week scan then this is the issue you want, which to me was a STUPID thing to say!! Obviously this woman hasn't had kids as you really don't want ANYTHING to be found during your scan!! She sent a Dr in to speak to us who told us this is very common and can even sort itself out by the 32 week scan. But there's a chance it might not and worst case scenario bubs could need surgery after she's born.
I might be overreacting, but DH and I have never even heard of this condition before? We came home and immediately 'Googled' (of course) and things didn't seem as major as we imagined but it's still in the back of our minds.
Has anyone ever gone through this before or heard of anything that has gone/going through it. Reassurance would be welcome right now :cry:

I have no experience with this, but didn't want to read and run. I hope you get some reassurance from other ladies on this board, and you also might post to the gestational complications board to see if others on that board can reassure you. I'll bet all is well by your 32 week scan!

hey i am going through the same thing now! both kidneys slightly dilated. my dr said if he had a quarter for every time this showed up at a twenty week ultrasound he would be a rich man. we were also told that if it doesnt resolve by birth it often resolves after they take their first wee. try not to worry. i have a follow up scan tues to see if it resolved and i will try to update then. i really think surgery is a very very small chance and they probably mention it to keep from being liable for not telling you. hang in there and dont worry its very very common and even the genetic counselor said ninety nine percent resolve by twenty four weeks.

Thanks so much ladies! xx
TTC126- How far along are you? I have to wait now until I'm 32 weeks for another u/s. It sounds like your Dr was so much more informative than both my midwife and the Dr last night. They were both quite young and spoke more like they had read about it in a text book, not so much from experience (not that it's their fault, but still not too reassuring for us). Would love to hear your update. You have no idea how much better I feel now, thanks so much for posting :flower:

Hi, I am going through the same thing. Had our scan last Monday, and also found out babys left kidney is slightly dialated. They want it to be s 4 or beliwe, and my babys is a 5. Doc said it usually resolved before birth, but if not rhen surgery may be.needed. It is also very common in boys, which is what I'm having. I have a Rescan on June 21. So hope all is well by then. Doc said if it goes above a 12 then I would be.sent to a high risk ob/gyn doc.

Really hope it works out for all of us!!!

I know 2 people that had this with their babies and all the babies ended up fine. One even had it with both of her boys. Do you happen to be having a boy? Apparently it's more common in boys!

TTC126- How far along are you? I have to wait now until I'm 32 weeks for another u/s. It sounds like your Dr was so much more informative than both my midwife and the Dr last night. They were both quite young and spoke more like they had read about it in a text book, not so much from experience (not that it's their fault, but still not too reassuring for us). Would love to hear your update. You have no idea how much better I feel now, thanks so much for posting :flower:

I'm now 23 weeks 2 days. Next week at my u/s I will be 24+2. The dr said it usually will clear up by 32 weeks but they sent me for another scan anyway just to see how it looked in 4 weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about it and they are probably having you wait since they normally see a big improvement by then.

I'm so sorry they weren't more helpful. Its such a scary thing to hear (and dr google does NOT help). I'm sorry you're going through this worry as well! Just try to stay positive as the vast majority clear up. And the chance of surgery is unlikely. I'm hoping for a big improvement next week!
Did they tell you how dilated they are? One of my baby's was 4.5 and the other was 5.8 and 4mm is what they want to see. To me hearing the numbers made it sound a little better since those are not at all soooo far out of range. Would it help if you knew? I asked because I was also told "slightly" and wasn't sure what slightly meant...lol.
Hang in there! And I will definitely update next week :)

Hi, I am going through the same thing. Had our scan last Monday, and also found out babys left kidney is slightly dialated. They want it to be s 4 or beliwe, and my babys is a 5. Doc said it usually resolved before birth, but if not rhen surgery may be.needed. It is also very common in boys, which is what I'm having. I have a Rescan on June 21. So hope all is well by then. Doc said if it goes above a 12 then I would be.sent to a high risk ob/gyn doc.

Really hope it works out for all of us!!!

Yep Ive had the same thing- Dr said not to worry its quite common and usually resolves itself. I also was told common in boys and I am having a boy! also my sisters son had the exact same and he is fine now too :thumbup:

My first son had one side slightly dilated too. The person who was scanning me was awful the way she said it and panicked me so we ran off to London the next day to get a private scan! The man doing that said he was fine and no big deal at all! Had our rescan later in the pregnancy and all was fine. He is now a very active 6 year old never had any problems! x

I'm now 23 weeks 2 days. Next week at my u/s I will be 24+2. The dr said it usually will clear up by 32 weeks but they sent me for another scan anyway just to see how it looked in 4 weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about it and they are probably having you wait since they normally see a big improvement by then.

I'm so sorry they weren't more helpful. Its such a scary thing to hear (and dr google does NOT help). I'm sorry you're going through this worry as well! Just try to stay positive as the vast majority clear up. And the chance of surgery is unlikely. I'm hoping for a big improvement next week!
Did they tell you how dilated they are? One of my baby's was 4.5 and the other was 5.8 and 4mm is what they want to see. To me hearing the numbers made it sound a little better since those are not at all soooo far out of range. Would it help if you knew? I asked because I was also told "slightly" and wasn't sure what slightly meant...lol.

I must admit I have had a better day now that I have seen your responses :) They didn't tell me the measurements last night but I called today... One is 6mm and the other is 5.5mm. I wish I didn't have to wait so long for another scan. I might give them a call and see why I have to wait so long? You would think they would want to check sooner than in 12 weeks time?!

I am having a girl for the PP who asked what the sex of bub was. Yes, I noticed too it was more common in boys in my research.

I must admit I have had a better day now that I have seen your responses :) They didn't tell me the measurements last night but I called today... One is 6mm and the other is 5.5mm. I wish I didn't have to wait so long for another scan. I might give them a call and see why I have to wait so long? You would think they would want to check sooner than in 12 weeks time?!

I am having a girl for the PP who asked what the sex of bub was. Yes, I noticed too it was more common in boys in my research.

I honestly don't know that they'd want to check sooner... I think part of the reason I'm going back sooner is because I have a blood disorder (I've even had a blood transfusion already) and they're monitoring closely for growth restriction. They may feel its nothing to worry you over. But I do think that if you're not comfortable waiting you should definitely call! I mean it sounds like they were super unhelpful over it and already have you worrying. If you aren't comfortable waiting I would push for an earlier scan...

Let me know what they say if you call!

Oh and when I have talked to some other people who have had this happen they had dilation from 12mm to even 19mm that resolved on its own. It made me feel better so I hope that comforts you too!

My friend's baby had the same thing. She went back for a scan and the problem sorted itself out. The baby is perfectly healthy. I wouldn't worry too much. Best of luck!

My daughter had VERY dilated kidneys, but they resolved by the time she was delivered. I remember feeling really scared too, but it truly is a common and generally harmless thing to come up in an ultrasound.

same thing happen to me with my daughter, both slightly dilated, was crazy goggling it (very bad idea) even on 32 week they were still slightly enlarged, resolved on its own after birth, she is very healthy almost 14 month old now.....don`t worry too much....everything will be fine....

Oh and when I have talked to some other people who have had this happen they had dilation from 12mm to even 19mm that resolved on its own. It made me feel better so I hope that comforts you too!

That's comforting to know, thank you!! I have decided not to call about an earlier scan and just wait it out. I'm a lot less stressed about it all now thanks to you and the other ladies replies xx Such a helpful forum :) I look forward to hearing how you go next week, goodluck! xx :flower:

Thanks ladies! I have been really touched by all your responses and I honestly don't know how I got through my first pregnancy without this forum??! lol I feel sooo much better knowing I'm not alone. BIG hugs to you all :hugs:

Hi Lilahs Mum! Wanted to update you!

Had my follow up scan today and there wasn't much of a change in lo's kidneys. They didn't get worse but not better either. BUT! My dr said if I lose one minute of sleep over it he'd be mad. He said its nothing to worry over and no interventions can be done. So they will repeat at 32 weeks and see. He said at most we would just let the pediatrician know to check him after he is born. So I'm not worried but I will try to keep updating you and please keep me posted as well :)

Thinking of you!

I to had this while pregnant with my son - he needed ultrasound a week after he was born and was all clear :)

May I also add - I had my daughter at the time she was 3 years old-who had dilated kidney and had 3 ultrasounds months apart & resolved on its own .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"