Dilated kidneys?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by smithmommy2, Jan 24, 2011.

1. smithmommy2

smithmommy2 Pregnant - 3rd Trimester

I had my 19 week ultrasound last month. My first ultrasound in my first so far successful pregnancy. I found out that I'm having a little boy, but the next day my OB told me that my son has a dilated kidney. He didn't tell me much else, but that it's common in boys. I don't know what this means, but from what I've looked up it is common in boys due to their urinary system. The articles I've read say that it's caused by urine backing up into the kidney. It usually fixes itself before birth, but in some cases can only be fixed by surgery in the early months after birth. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I need some comforting words. I never expected to experience problems in my pregnancy. If you have any other information on this, please let me know.

2. BabyBoyle

BabyBoyle TTCAL of 2nd angel xx

Hi hun, my little girls got dilated kidneys also..

Like you, I was told it's fairly normal with babies and as you say usually corrects itself.

Csnt give you any info or advice but stay strong, they grow and develop SO quickly.. Sure he will be just fine :) xxx

3. ChristinaRN

ChristinaRN Mother of 3, pg with #4

I am in the same boat you are.....pregnant with a little boy and was told that he has a dialated renal pelvis.....and given very little other info other than we will rescan in 10 weeks! ARGH!

4. DolceBella

DolceBella Mum of 2 Gingers!!

It's very common to see on ultrasound at this gestation. A follow-up ultrasound is usually done for the baby after birth, but the fluid is almost always resolved by then. :) (BTW, I'm an L&D nurse.)

5. ticktock

ticktock mum to one boy

Hi I got told this at my scan 2 weeks ago, have a rescan at 32 weeks. It turns out my brother who is 42 had had this since birth and they've just noticed so I'm not too worried about it if he's managed for so long!

Am hoping it will just resolve itself which I've read it often does, try not to worry too much x