Dilated kidneys

kirst76

Reaction score
I had a scan done at 21 weeks and it was found that my baby had dilated kidneys.
I am due to have another scan in a couple of weeks and am getting pretty nervous about it....hoping that my baby's kidneys are normal and healthy now.
Has any body else been through this?

Yes, my first baby had this picked up at the 20 week scan. We had another scan at 34 and then 36 weeks and it was the same both times, no better no worse. We had to give her a tiny dose of antibiotics daily from birth to prevent UTIs in case the dilation was caused by kidney reflux, which is left untreated could cause problems.

She was scanned at a week old (same) and then again at 8 months (the dilation had gone.)

Don't google. It is very common, seen in 1 in 20 pregnancies apparently.

thanks heaps for that....less worried now!

PS: I already googled but tended to only read the good outcomes, lol!

We are exactly in the same situation and will be going for another scan in about another 1 1/2 weeks, hoping for the best................ Good luck with your second scan, hope things have improved for you and baby x

thanks mojobear, I hope things have improved for your baby as well.
Please let me know how your scan goes.

Yay, had scan this morning and our baby's kidneys are measuring just fine now. Also sex has been confirmed as girl!!!!

I am so glad it has rectified itself!
My LO (a girl also) has bilateral pyelectasis (thats what it is called). She was due yesterday but is taking her sweet time arriving, I will keep you posted on what happens after she arrives :)

Hope she doesn't go too overdue for you and that she is good and healthy when born!

Hi Kirst76,

We also had our re-scan on 13 Feb and both kidneys were measuring normal (gone down to 4mm), excellent result x

hello. I'm in 31 weeks now. I had my 4D ultrasound yesterday. It was going well until the sonologist said my baby girl has a mild pyelectasis in the left kidney (0.84cm). I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow but I am distraught since learning about that condition. It got worse when I read in the internet it is a soft marker for Down's syndrome. I remember my Congenital anomaly scan last month, when the sonologist sought advise from another sonologist about the nuchal thickness, which is alo a marker for DS. Although, she decided that it was within the normal range, I am so worried now. I am 34 years old which makes the odds higher and this is my first baby. I can't help but cry. I know anxiety is bad for me and my baby but I can't help it.

My daughter had dilated kidneys at our 20 week scan. We had to go at 22 weeks to have a level II ultrasound done. The dr said her right kidney was dilated and she also had an EIF. Which was 2 soft markers for DS. She was born at 39 weeks And is perfect! Try not worry I know it's hard. :hugs:

hello. I'm in 31 weeks now. I had my 4D ultrasound yesterday. It was going well until the sonologist said my baby girl has a mild pyelectasis in the left kidney (0.84cm). I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow but I am distraught since learning about that condition. It got worse when I read in the internet it is a soft marker for Down's syndrome. I remember my Congenital anomaly scan last month, when the sonologist sought advise from another sonologist about the nuchal thickness, which is alo a marker for DS. Although, she decided that it was within the normal range, I am so worried now. I am 34 years old which makes the odds higher and this is my first baby. I can't help but cry. I know anxiety is bad for me and my baby but I can't help it.

Please tell me how your baby is. My dd was diagnosed with this and I am 28 1/2 weeks now. I am so worried. My early screening for downs was negative but doctor said this is a marker for downs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->