Dilema....bleeding...hcg staying the same then going up...

KiraLeigh

New FTM after LTTTC!! :D
Reaction score
Hello ladies, a couple of you may have seen my previous posts a week or so ago.

Here's my story...sorry if it's a little long.

At 5w3d I woke up to brown blood...but only when I wiped. The brown continued, along with minimal cramping and lower back ache until the evening, when it turned very dark red and got a little heavier. By the time I was going to bed it was brown and light again. The next day the brown continued so I rang the early pregnancy unit. Due to it being a Saturday they couldn't scan me until Monday.....they weren't expecting to see much but just wanted to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.

On Monday morning (5w6d) I went for my scan. They couldn't find any evidence of a pregnancy in my womb so took blood to check my hcg levels. I got the results following a 2nd blood test on Wednesday (6w1d).....my hcg levels were at 600 and something but remained the same 48 hours apart. An appointment was made for Friday for more blood work and to see a Dr.

That brings me to today..... I had to be at the hospital for 8.30am....they took my blood and asked me to wait in the hospital for 2 hours by which time they would have the results. I got my results at 12.15 and they showed that my hcg levels have risen to 800 and something...so they have gone up but only slightly.

I saw the Dr and we discussed what happens next. He has concluded that this is an ectopic pregnancy and suggested a methotrexate injection to end it. I have had methotrexate before with my first pregnancy so I know what to expect.

However, I am unable to have the injection until Monday so I have been told to go back on Sunday for another blood test. They are hoping my levels may drop by themselves.

I was informed that it's hard to see a pregnancy via ultrasound if your hcg levels are below 1200. My dilema is....if my levels have risen again come Sunday should I have the injection...or risk a ruptured tube to a potential ectopic by waiting to see if my levels get high enough to request another scan?

Thank you for reading ladies.

Even at that early scan you would still see a gestational sac, so i would say its an ectopic. And if it was a viable pregnancy there is no way your levels should still be that low. So if it were me i wouldnt risk rupturing a tube and get the injection. Anyone who i have read who had a scan at that time at least saw a sac. Maybe ask for a transvaginal ultrasound just before getting the shot, but again with levels that low and staying the same within 48 hrs and then only going up by a little within another two days tells me its not good news im afraid.

If it were me (and it isn't so I apologise if I step out if line) I would go for the jab. The pregnancy sounds textbook ectopic and I wouldn't risk a tube x

As others have said above, below 7 weeks and with a low hcg you should not get a ruptured tube. Some ectopics do naturally go on their own but levels need to be dropping.

I had an ectopic in Oct/Nov, it was missed by the hospital and ruptured when I would have been 12 weeks and my hcg was over 9000.

Wishing you lots of luck and best wishes through this time.

I was in your boots 3 years ago.. Almost exactly. I went for the injection. As the others said it was too obvious there was something wrong and I knew that In my heart anyways. Xxx

We are all here for you if you need support. I know in your heart you dont want to believe that there will be no baby, but unfortunately this is the case and really isnt worth you doing that to yourself. And if you get a ruptured tube because of your choice, you will end up regretting it badly. There are lots of others who feel your pain. An ectopic is just as sad as having an mc. Im so sorry that things are so grimm. But it would have had to have been a big rise in order for it to look viable.

Thank you ladies.

I have been researching since I got back from the hospital and have spoken to my husband since he's been home from work.

We have decided that if my HCG levels are over 1100 I will ask for a scan prior to methotrexate. I know the pregnancy is failing but if there's a chance I could have ovulated/implanted late and it is in my womb I want to miscarry naturally.

The methotrexate will put me out of action for 3-6 months.

If my levels stay the same, rise below 1100 or have barely dropped I will have the methotrexate.

I think it's routine for them to rescan anyways prior to the injection. So sorry you are going through this xxx :hugs:

I would ask for another scan ASAP. My 2nd miscarriage my levels were pretty much like yours at 6 weeks, and it was a in-utero pregnancy, with heartbeat and everything. I knew I was gonna lose that baby but at least I didn't take the shot and didn't have to wait before starting to TTC again (got prengnant with DD1 on the next cycle :) )

What is the reason for waiting 3-6 months after the shot? I hear of women trying after their next natural period all the time.

If the doctor feels it is ectopic and your tube is at risk, definitely get the shot as soon as recommended. I have only one tube and one ovary and went into a deep depression after the surgery that removed them. It is a huge loss and has a big impact on future fertility. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

What is the reason for waiting 3-6 months after the shot? I hear of women trying after their next natural period all the time.

If the doctor feels it is ectopic and your tube is at risk, definitely get the shot as soon as recommended. I have only one tube and one ovary and went into a deep depression after the surgery that removed them. It is a huge loss and has a big impact on future fertility. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Apparently it stays in your system and there is a risk for the embryo/foetus if the woman becomes pregnant too soon, hence why they advise to wait 3 months before trying again, just to be on the safe side.

:hugs: I am so sorry you are being faced with all of this. Good luck.

Apparently it stays in your system and there is a risk for the embryo/foetus if the woman becomes pregnant too soon, hence why they advise to wait 3 months before trying again, just to be on the safe side.

Actually, methotrexate does not stay in your system very long. It can affect your kidneys after dosage, but for the most part it is gone after the first week.
I became pregnant 1.5 months after my shot and was reassured by two separate doctor things should be okay. I resumed prenatals a week after the shot.
I asked why they recommend the 3 months and it was basically explained as a blanket safety recommendation. It allows for healing, your body to rejuvenate itself, and you to emotionally heal as well. You are also at higher risk of etopic after your first etopic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->