Dilemma

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Kayleigh09, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Kayleigh09

Kayleigh09 Well-Known Member

When i am on my own and get petrol i leave Summer in the car when i go and pay as i can still see the car, i lock the doors and i'm only in there for like 3 mins.

I went to the post office earlier and i was agonizing over whether to leave her in the car or not, i was going to until i saw this old man in the car in front of me just watching me so i took her in with me. Was in there for like 4 mins, if that.

What would you say is an acceptable time/place to leave the baby in the car?

2. lozenge

lozenge Well-Known Member

It is a really tricky one. In my opinion it is probably best to be better safe than sorry- I daren't leave my LO anywhere! I too had the post office dilema - I parked right outside the post office so could see my car, went in, but then decided I felt too uncomfortable and ended up going back to the car to get LO. And I was in there for a total of 2 mins!

As for petrol, I use pay at the pump. I do know lots of people do leave their LOs whilst they quickly pay, but I just daren't in case something happened. x

3. sparkle_1979

sparkle_1979 Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009

Must admit I would never leave Ruby in the car alone....you never know!!!!

A friend left her little one while popping to the bank and her hubby saw the car and was furious so took her car and the little one to teach her a lesson.....you can imagine how she felt!!!

4. Connah'sMommy

Connah'sMommy Well-Known Member

Personally i wouldnt leave Connah in the car alone at all,but thats just me.
    Im extremely overprotective x

5. Boony

Boony Mummy to 3

I would never leave my son alone in a car for any amount of time whether i could see him or not it only takes a second for something to happen!

6. AP

AP Well-Known Member

7. Kayleigh09

I know everyone is saying use pay at pump but im scared of using it, my mum used it once and got charged for the previous person's petrol!

8. Soph&Bump

Soph&Bump Well-Known Member

I'd not intentionally leave LO anywhere but having said that....the other day I went to Tesco and was pushing pushchair round as OH had trolley with shopping. After paying, I started walking towards the exit, only to be prompted by OH that I'd left the baby behind. Oooops!

9. Kayleigh09

To be honest with you i dont see the problem with leaving them just to pay petrol or send a parcel seeing as we leave them for 12 hours in the night... They're just as safe in a car seat in a locked car as they are in a cot/crib in a locked house...

10. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

I personally do not feel comfortable at all doing it, even just to pay for gas, even if you can see them, you are not right there and anything can happen in a second and you wouldn't be able to get there fast enough. Here it is illegal to leave your kids in the car unattended, though I'm sure to pay gas no one would say anything, but it's not worth the risk of something happening to me. But for the post office, same thing, would take them in. I even undo all 3 boys for everything like that and have to come back and put them all 3 back in car seats to go again

11. kateqpr

kateqpr Well-Known Member

12. beancounter

beancounter Well-Known Member

I take Finn into the loo with me :blush: I have to find disabled bogs to get the pram in... is it just me then? I don't drive but I'd pay at pump. If i got charged twice id get him out and go in and complain :shrug:

13. Sherileigh

Sherileigh Well-Known Member

Personally I'd never leave my son in the car alone...! Luckily we don't have to worry about the gas/petrol issue as most gas stations here fill up your vehicle and then take your credit card inside to charge for you so we rarely leave our cars...handy when it's -30 out!

14. Lucy_lu_84

Lucy_lu_84 Pregnant with #2

Would never leave him as I said in the topic that was quoted!

I'd take my LO to the loo to Beancounter...Either disabled or some mother and babies ones have room to take them in. Either that or i wait!

15. dizzyisacow

dizzyisacow wife,mother & myself

i disagree. its alot more risk of your car beeing hit by another car, or stolen than it is for someone to break into your house and they cant take the house away with the baby in it like the car.

16. cleckner04

cleckner04 Well-Known Member

I won't even leave her in the car alone in my own driveway. Even if I have to bring groceries in, etc., she is always the first thing I bring into the house because I worry way too much.

17. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

I had this dilemma the other day....I had a full day of Christmas shopping and we had had a lovely day. I'd got Earl all strapped into his car seat (which is no mean feat as he's a big lad lol) and we set off to the pet shop. I had to get a couple of little bits for our dog, I knew exactly where they are in the shop and I can see the car from the till. I expected to be in for all of 60 seconds so made the decision to leave him as he had just fallen asleep. I ran in, got to the display and....... they didn't have any. I asked the woman behind the counter and she said, in the slowest voice ever :dohh: 'I'll...go....and....get.....some.....from...the....back.....for .....you.'

She was gone for what seemed like an age! She came out with them, and put them through the till.

'That's.....£3.......98p........please'. I already had the money ready. I handed her £4 in coins, grabbed the chews, yelled, 'KEEP THE CHANGE' as I was running out. I was so sure that something will have happened! He was still fast asleep in the car:dohh:.

I also had to get petrol and my friend, who previously worked at petrol stations, has told me that they are told to advise people to keep children in the car rather than bring them into the stall. This is becuase the combination of fumes, the possibility of oil spills, and the time it takes to get them in and out of the car, it's always quicker and safer to leave a child in the car. I also have a Visa Electron which you mostly can't use in pay at pump round here.

It's difficult but petrol stations are places I tend to avoid with Earl in the car lol

18. Lizzie Lou

Lizzie Lou Well-Known Member

hmm I can't help thinking that this advice is given for the good of the petrol stations pocket! They don't want mum's messing around strapping babies in and getting them out when there's customers waiting! (IMO)

As for ever leaving LO in car...no I wouldn't dream of it - cars can be broken into, hit by other cars etc it's just not worth it for the sake of the hassle of getting them in and out. I either use the little garage up the road that has a guy who comes out to fill up for you and and take your money or get OH to go. I've locked my keys in the car before now (with dogs in it) and would hate that to happen with LO in it!

19. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

TBH I leave Ruby in the car. I wonder why we don't have pay at pump petrol stations around here? That would of course be preferable.

20. sobersadie

sobersadie 2 sons and a daughter :-)

I think everyone is a bit over paranoid - i mean what are the chances of someone actually taking ur car with baby inside wile u are buying petrol (and how exactly can they drive ur car away if u take the keys with you??) Or hitting it? You have more chance of being in a car accident and this doesnt stop you taking baby out in the car does it? If u can see the baby from the petrol station i dont see the problem. Also why not just get petrol when u are alone?

I have 3 kids and wud not risk taking them all out the car and across the garage forecourt with all the other cars driving about. I think they are safer in the car.