Disappointed :(

Shedevil18

Reaction score
Had my first OB appointment yesterday and we were so excited going in thinking we could hear the babies heart beat. I am 11 weeks today so it shouldn't be an issue.

She told me that where I have extra weight on my we wouldn't be about to hear the heartbeat and didn't even try :(

So basically she told me I am to fat to hear my baby :( I was so heartbroken. All I want to do is hear the heartbeat or see it, haven't gotten to do any of that yet

Boo on her for blaming it on belly fat. My first we couldn't hear the beart beat at 11 weeks. With my second I'm 10lbs+ but we heard a heartbeat at 10 weeks because my uterus is expanding faster. It's all about where the baby is placed and if the uterus has expanded beyond the pelvic bone.

I don't know what you weigh but I rather strongly question that decision as several of my quite overweight friends have successfully heard the heartbeats at 10 weeks and the couple that couldn't were sent for immediate ultrasound. Seems like she didn't want to go to any extra effort. I am not overweight and once they had a very hard time finding the heartbeat but the doc worked very hard until we heard it!

Sounds like she is just a sloppy cow who didn't want to do her job properly....

No health professional would even try to find a heartbeat at 10 weeks here - way too likely to worry you because it wouldn't be super easy to find. They couldn't even find my baby's heartbeat at the hospital when I was 25.5 weeks along because she kept rolling around.

That's ridiculous. I'm overweight and my OB tried and found it at 9 weeks. They should have tried. Sorry for the disapointment.

This

No health professional would even try to find a heartbeat at 10 weeks here - way too likely to worry you because it wouldn't be super easy to find. They couldn't even find my baby's heartbeat at the hospital when I was 25.5 weeks along because she kept rolling around.

Oh that's awful, I remember with my 1st at my booking in appointment the midwives weighed me and I must of had a bmi of about 26 so I was barely big to be honest I was pretty tiny and they gave me this awful and embarrassing time in front of my partner about being "overweight". I was so ashamed I started crying and put a complaint in straight after! Always been self conscious about my weight and never want OH knowing what it was so it was like my worst nightmare.

Anyway here where I live in the UK non of my midwives have ever tried before 16 weeks and even then it's been a struggle but maybe could you buy your own? I've just heard bubs heartbeat on mine for the 1st time at 10 weeks. Then your OB can shove her doppler up her you know where :) x

What? I would have lost it! My dr has always been able to find baby's hb as of 9 weeks on Doppler. This is my 4th pregnancy and I'm not overweight but still she should have tried :(

I was just told yesterday that it was unlikely we would find it before 12 weeks and even after that it was hit or miss sometimes. I'm sorry they were mean to you. :( that isn't okay. perhaps a new provider is in order if that's possible? No one deserves to be treated that way.

I live in the Midwest US. Here it's standard procedure to find the heartbeat at 10 weeks. Maybe we have better dopplers I don't know but they WILL find it and if they cannot you get sent for an ultrasound.

How cruel of her!

I went in for me to check hb at 13 weeks and they couldn't find it. They just found it at 16 weeks. I think it depends on where the baby is lying. Mine is still really low down and tucked away in my pelvis.

I live in the Midwest us but my dr doesn't try until 12 weeks at your second dr visit. We don't have appts until then, but I found it on my Doppler around 9 weeks

Where I am the midwife said they won't even attempt to find heartbeat with a Doppler until 16 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->