Discard after 1 hour?

MissMandieMitz

Mommy of 2 :)
Reaction score
I was reading the back of the can of formula and it says to discard after 1 hour once the baby starts to eat. Maybe I'm just completely oblivious...but whats the reason for that? :dohh:

Because it starts to go off I imagine? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to leave a glass of milk on the side for an hour and then drink it. :)

Something to do with the bacteria that multiply in it or something but I don't always discard after an hour and it's never done Grace any harm.

I think once they are older it doesnt matter as much... one of my friends has always made bottles and kept them for more then 1 hour and nothings happened to her son... im paranoid though haha.

I never threw them out...couldn't afford to waste the formula, it's way too expensive! I'd just put it in the fridge!

If they start to drink it, it's no longer sterile as it's been exposed to the air and to baby.

I don't think it matters once they get a little older, only when they're really young & extra susceptible to illness :)

Ours says it can be put in the fridge but shouldn't be left at room temp for more than an hour...I would never give it to them if it was out even close to that long, yeah it's expensive but it goes bad just like milk or anything else.

Thank you all for the replies.

I wasn't implying that I was gonna ignore the warning....I was just generally curious. Maxson usually finishes his bottles in 15 minutes or so, so I've never worried about it being out too long.

would u drink a glass of milk that was left around for over an hour? i wouldnt but iam guilty of giving zane his bottle back after an hour has passed!

I think they put that so it's a disclaimer of sorts. Like was mentioned earlier, drinking it exposes it to bacteria and they don't want any sort of lawsuits (IMO)

I'm paranoid too though, and never use it past the hour, or reuse a bottle that she hasn't finished.

I make Jaydens bottles in the morning and leave them on the side all day untill hes ready to have one, is that classed as the same as it hasnt been exposed to the air?

I have done this with my first 2 and there is nothing wrong with them, in fact they are very healthy children, they both used to attend the nursery that I used to work at and they rarely caught any of the illnesses that were going around

With us it is advised to discard after 2 hrs, this is after starting the feed. I think once the feed is started, the babys saliva will have mixed with the milk & that will help the bacteria to grow?

Its the warmth of the milk that multiplies bacteria, I never leave the milk for longer than an hour!

I am one of those that ignores it. :rofl: I go 2 hours, because in a couple of my books it says 2 hours.

I thought it was 30min?!!?!?!?!?! I have to check the can!

i was naughty last night! recently zane hasnt been sleeping and the only thing that helps is giving him a bottle in bed and i was so tired and he didnt stop crying all night i used the same bottle for about 6 hours! as i said before i normaly dont use then after 2 hours. If left over milk does make baby ill i will soon find out lol

SHIT!! I do this all the time! :dohh:
mylo is a graze feeder- I used to make all his bottles for the day then leave them on the side.. but now I make them as he needs each one.. but each one will take me 2/3 hours to give him.. then, half hour later hes hunry again.. its like non stop feeding.. only taking an ounce or 2 at a time.
so discarding after an hour? I would be wasting sooooooo much formula- like more than half of the tin! I could try making half bottles- but then its hard to measure out the infant gaviscon accurately. :wacko:

It is more of a disclaimer. My neice used to take over an hour to take her bottle and the HV said that was fine. She's a healthy toddler now :)

my midwife said we could use them upto 4 hours then chuck! (she has 3 kids)

my health visitor said 1 hour then chuck (she has no kids)

I would say split the difference - and say 21/2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"