Discouraging Screaming and Screeching?

RJsMum

Mommy of RJ
Reaction score
DS does it for everything...mostly when he's excited and sees the cat or his cousin (5 mos older - and it scares her and makes her not want to play around him), but also does a loud scream sometimes when he cries or when he's having his nappy changed.

I've tried saying "shhh" and "not so loud" in a quiet voice and I've also tried ignoring it, but he's just SO noisy! I'm talking, Mariah Carey "Let me Know" noisy, too

HELP!!!

Hmmm, it can be tricky. Abigail is also very noisy. Sometimes when we are out she will just screech or scream at the top of her voice - not out of distress, just because she likes the sound and wants to be heard I think! If we are out somewhere like a coffee shop and it's going to disturb other people then I am afriad my usual approach is to give her something to eat as that keeps her quiet! Other than that though, if we re at someone's house or at home I just ignore it. I think it is her way of communicating nad finding her voice and I am hoping that soon some of her noice will turn into actual words!

Hmmm, it can be tricky. Abigail is also very noisy. Sometimes when we are out she will just screech or scream at the top of her voice - not out of distress, just because she likes the sound and wants to be heard I think! If we are out somewhere like a coffee shop and it's going to disturb other people then I am afriad my usual approach is to give her something to eat as that keeps her quiet! Other than that though, if we re at someone's house or at home I just ignore it. I think it is her way of communicating nad finding her voice and I am hoping that soon some of her noice will turn into actual words!

This is actually what I do sometimes as well. When I go grocery shopping and he's with me, I bring along some breadsticks or pre-pack some jam sandwiches to keep his gob busy, hehe.

with Hannah we started talking to her about using an inside voice (she was screaming on the bus :rofl:) but she was older so I'm not really sure that would work for you

Yeah with Tegan we tell her to use her inside voice. If she's been bad for it that day it's usually more like "will you STOP SHOUTING!" :rofl: Not sure how I'd deal with it in a younger child. Tell him not to shout but he probably won't understand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->