Discrimination against BFing mothers?

Chel

Reaction score
I was watching the news last night - in australia - and they said that there were 1500 formal complaints to the equal oportunities department reporting woman being asked to leave or discriminated against by resturants/hotels/cafes etc for breast feeding, being pregnant, or having a baby in tow. (mostly it was breast feeding publicly)

They were saying that statistically, for every person who makes a formal complaint 5-10 others are discriminated against, but say nothing.

That soooo many woman! I wouldn't have thought it would be that bad.

I've been denied access to a bus by the driver because I had the pram - even though their was wheelchair access and the wheelchair space was empty - I noted the time, bus route and the buses number reported the bus driver and he got in trouble :happydance:

Anyone else had experienced discrimination? Or heard of it?

What would/have you done?

And.... if you saw another woman being discrimated against, would you say something? Like, I was standing there in the street on a hot day in te midde of the day in the middle of summer in australia with Jasper who was crying - clearly a new born cry - but nobody thought to stand up for me, they just pushed passed me to get onto the bus after the bus driver had told me I wasn't able to get on with me pram :hissy:

I cant say I know I would have the confidence to stand up for a complete stranger - but I like to think that I could.

I dont know how common it is in other countries, but if its happening, I think its important for mothers to stand together and stand up for one another. Even if I was FFing, I think I'd wnt to stand up for someone if they were being asked to leave for Bfing.

I'd stand up for anyone - I'm a gobby cow though!

I cant believe that there is that kind of discimination ?!?!?!?!

I suppose I am lucky to live where I do, im sure its around, but I haven't seen any kind of open discrimination like that towards any mother or pregnant woman! Im out and about all the time at shopping centers, stores, groceries etc.... Most people open doors and make way when you have a baby or carriage, and are totally friendly and inquisitive about your baby.

Canada is an extremely diverse, multi-cultural and pro-choice place though. (not trying to offend anyone cause I have never been to the UK or AUS so I dont know what its like there)

Canada is an extremely diverse, multi-cultural and pro-choice place though.

well said for sure ! I got told once to stop BF in the resto as it was offending a women as he husband was staring at my boob lol well I walked over to her & husband and said " If i squirt your husband will he stop staring at me ? my sons quite offended that someone is eye balling his lunch "

well they both turned red and said sorry ..all the waiters were red with laughter

well said for sure ! I got told once to stop BF in the resto as it was offending a women as he husband was staring at my boob lol well I walked over to her & husband and said " If i squirt your husband will he stop staring at me ? my sons quite offended that someone is eye balling his lunch "

well they both turned red and said sorry ..all the waiters were red with laughter

=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>:thumpup::thumpup::thumpup::thumpup::thumpup:

In Scotland, in public places like restaurants, they cannot refuse to let you breastfeed. You are right Chel, women should feel able to stand up for each other.

I do think that public transport is one of the worst offenders when it comes to pregnant women and women with children. Where I live, buses often are those old fashioned ones with the steps going up and a barrier down the middle - how are you able to get your buggy on with a newborn baby if you are unable to fold down the buggy/pram? Often the drivers are completely unhelpful and/or even quite rude to you as well. Also, the London Underground is an absolute nightmare when you are pregnant - it is hot, crowded and no-one gives you a seat. I was 30 weeks pregnant when I was in London and often took the underground to get around. There are stickers on the windows by certain seats which are reserved for pregnant women, but I found that people would sit in them and ignore me and my bump! I was to embarrassed to ask for the seat, so just stood. Once, a seat became available and as I was moving towards it, this rude woman actually pushed me out of the way to get to the seat and I ended up banging my head on a pole! I just said loudly, 'That's right, race the pregnant woman to the seat.' She just ignored me. Aaaaaggghhh!

In Scotland, in public places like restaurants, they cannot refuse to let you breastfeed. You are right Chel, women should feel able to stand up for each other.

I do think that public transport is one of the worst offenders when it comes to pregnant women and women with children. Where I live, buses often are those old fashioned ones with the steps going up and a barrier down the middle - how are you able to get your buggy on with a newborn baby if you are unable to fold down the buggy/pram? Often the drivers are completely unhelpful and/or even quite rude to you as well. Also, the London Underground is an absolute nightmare when you are pregnant - it is hot, crowded and no-one gives you a seat. I was 30 weeks pregnant when I was in London and often took the underground to get around. There are stickers on the windows by certain seats which are reserved for pregnant women, but I found that people would sit in them and ignore me and my bump! I was to embarrassed to ask for the seat, so just stood. Once, a seat became available and as I was moving towards it, this rude woman actually pushed me out of the way to get to the seat and I ended up banging my head on a pole! I just said loudly, 'That's right, race the pregnant woman to the seat.' She just ignored me. Aaaaaggghhh!

How awful!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"