dissapointed with OBGYN office

hersweetleaf

mommy to a baby hulk
Reaction score
So, i made my inital appointment on Jan 6th, they said to come in on the 26th. Then they called a few days later asking me to come in on the 31st at 10am. They called yet again, asking if i could come in the same day, only at 3:00pm because my doctor was going to be "in surgery all day". They called me this morning confirming my appointment. So i called back and had a few questions. I asked if they would be giving me an ultrasound. Ill be at 8 weeks, 1 day on the date of my appointment. She said that they dont normally give ultrasounds until TWENTY WEEKS, to determine sex. Im very very dissapointed. Everyone Ive talked to, and even my step-sister-in-law had TWO ultrasounds, and we are both at 8 weeks almost. The nurse said i could ask, but more than likely, i wont be getting one. Im very very sad about this. Ive had this whole "omg, am i making this up" feeling, and i want to see for myself that theres actually a baby there. I cant stand the thought of waiting 20 weeks to see. she also said they would give me another PG test, but the last one i took the positive line was really really faint compared to the ones i took earlier that month, so what if theres no line this time? i heard after so many weeks, tests are null and void. im just so confused. i dont know what to do. so far, im not happy with the amount of back and forth thats been going on. I asked for the number to my sister in laws doctor so if im not completely satisfied with this one, i can go to the other one.

it just seems weird to me. everyone ive heard from, or about has had a scan at 8 weeks, even if there are no complications. :growlmad:

Not all places do u/s aside from the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. If you disagree with that practice you might have to go somewhere else... MAybe your OB office only does external scans, and before 12 weeks it would have to be internal? ..
Also, the test will show positive if you are indeed pregnant, and they will (should!) have a blood test done at your initial visit. You can take a preg. test all through pregnancy and it will come out positive... i think what you are referring to is a test taken may lose the visible lines over time.. good luck!

Not all OBGYNs do early ultrasounds. It's not common practice at the one I am going to, but they did one for me because I have PCOS and they wanted to make sure they got the right due date. Otherwise, in normal, healthy women with no history of complications, they only do one at 18-20 weeks and later on if needed due do complications, measuring early/late, etc. Hopefully they will try to find a heartbeat for you at your appointment, but don't be scared or disappointed if they don't because it's too early for a lot of women.

I can only imagine how disappointed you must feel. I would feel the same way! I got my scan early this week at 11 weeks and am getting another one at 15 weeks and it has given me a sense of peace that everything is okay with the baby. If I were you I would go somewhere else. Especially after the changes three times in your appointment...sounds like they have either low staff or poor time management. I hope whatever you decide that it works out for you though.

Hi there. Just from my personal experience (I'm also in the states) when I went in for my initial 8 week appt, they set up an appt for my 20 week ultrasound which is done in the lab part of the clinic. During my appt she felt my uterus to make sure that it was growing and then she brought in the scanning machine and did the transvaginal.

I was immediately deflated when they told me I wouldn't have one until 20 weeks, and I asked my NP about it (I actually didn't see my ob/gyn that day) and she said she was going to do a scan same day. And I'll admit I'm stupid about this whole thing, so is an ultrasound different from a scan??

My OB hasn't booked me for a scan yet. I have an appointment next week to meet with the NP for the family history, etc. and then an appointment with the mid-wife at 10 weeks. No scan in sight. :-(

OOOps..I guess I should have said mine was vaginally done....but I got to see the baby and the babies heartbeat and everything.

It depends on the OB. Mine does an ultrasound (I would assume internal?) at 7 weeks for everybody.

Maybe look for a new one? I'm sure you have plenty of choices in a large city.

Another option is paying for one. There is a Reproductive Health Center here that does them for $95 and my regular OB does them any time you want (aside from their routine ones) for $130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->