DIY Sweep..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Lil_Apple, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Lil_Apple

Lil_Apple Mummy to 3 Beautiful Boys

Would anyone/has anyone try this?

2. Kimmer

Kimmer Mummy to a beautiful baby

Nope. I didn't try it and I wouldn't try it.

I don't think it's safe at all. You wouldn't know what you're feeling for, could be doing all kinds of damage.
    Things like that are always best left to a professional

3. marnie79

marnie79 Well-Known Member

ive never done it, but my friend did get her hubby to try with her last one and ended up giving herself an infection, so i dont think its a very good idea :-( xx

4. welshprincess

welshprincess mum of 3 handsome boys

i havent but my friend done herself on all 5 of her kids and it worked

5. CelticNiamh

CelticNiamh Well-Known Member

I wondered about that my self, esp as I say midwifes have prob checked them self's.

some one posted a question and answer on yahoo and if you are to attempt it, wear gloves and sanitise your hands as you can introduce infection

Im not sure if I have a go my self though :haha: I want to be very desperate :haha:

6. secretbaby

secretbaby Well-Known Member

NO - if you get an infection/infected amniotic fluid it can harm the baby.

7. Celesse

Celesse Well-Known Member

Dangerous. Unless you spend a lot of time feeling pregnant / labouring women's cervix you wont know what you are doing. Worse case scenario is baby isn't engaged well, you accidently break your water and end up with a cord prolapse...unlikely but still possible and not worth the risk. More likely is the possiblity of giving yourself an infection.

8. special_kala

special_kala love my bugs

no way. that could be really dangerous

9. Divinebeauty

Divinebeauty Guest

I would never do it , my sister tried it with one of her kids at what she thought was 37 weeks as she was so uncomfortable with SPD and she ended up popping her waters, baby was born and actually was only 35 weeks gestation so had to go to NICU for while.

Its deffinitely not something that I would think of doing at all, a doc checks your cervix all the time so they know when its favorable of doing a sweep and when it could cause problems.

10. Hayles

Hayles Well-Known Member

God no!!! Leave it to the professionals!!!

11. Breezy

Breezy Mommy to one gorgeous boy

Toooooo scary! Would never forgive myself if something happened because of it.

12. brunette&bubs

brunette&bubs Mommy to James

I would never do it.
    My OB is such a gem that if I just asked her she could do it for me as she knows what she is doing.
    They don't go to medical school for nothing! If it was easy, we wouldn't hire MW or OBs.

Plus, I would have no clue what I'm looking for so I'd probably just end up fingering myself for 30 odd minutes.

13. Terangela

Terangela Well-Known Member

I would do a cervical check, but not a S&S. A cervical check is no different than having a penis poke around in there. LOL!

14. TattooedMama

TattooedMama Bubba, Daddy & Belly

I'm used to checking myself from TTC so I know exactly what my cervix is/feels like etc. I have done a mini sweep but cant get the reach that an OB can get obviosuly with belly in the way and the angle I'm at.

My dr told my husband it was ok to check me just to be gentle and clean his hands well beforehand, she did of course tell him not to attempt a sweep. I dont think any caregiver would reccomend trying it yourself but to each their own, I'm comfortable enough with my body. I've been screwing around with my cervix a long time:haha:

As far as infection, you can get that from sex, masturbation or toys(if you used them). You should always wash your hands well with antibacterial soap but gloves arent necessary. And with the water being in the amniotic sac I dont know how anyone thinks you can infect the waters....?!:shrug: Gloves are for both your & drs protection when you have an exam. When it is your body, clean hands is good enough!!
    If you have never felt your cervix before dont mess with it, you can hurt yourself and cause pain then you will probably just freak out if you end up bleeding or having pain(which is normal with a stretch and sweep).

15. bumpy_j

bumpy_j Well-Known Member

might be tmi but how far would you have to go for that? never had a sweep don't really know what it is... but i always get too scared to do perineal massage incase i do something i'm not meant to do

16. TattooedMama

TattooedMama Bubba, Daddy & Belly

Your perineal area is the section of skin between your vagina and anus, you can massage that safely without being afraid :winkwink:

A sweep, or stripping of the membranes, is when someone(usually a caregiver) inserts a finger into the vagina, finds the cervix and inserts the finger into the cervical opening. Then they would gently slide their finger as much as they could(think crooking your finger) just inside and around the top portion of the uterus to seperate the amniotic sack from the cervix and the uterine wall. They dont poke upwards but to the side and in a circular motion.

How far you would have to go up depends on the location of your cervix. There is no road map to to pinpoint where your cervix is, its different in every woman and in each woman can be felt in different positions in one day-so in the morning my cervix is usually higher(can barely reach the bottom) then later in the day I can reach it entirely and inside of it. I wash my hands then sit on the toilet as that is when I can get into the best position to reach.

Google it, you might get a better idea of how to check your cervix. TTC sites will have a lot of info about it.:flower:

Oh & I wanted to mention a sweep is extremely difficult/impossible if the woman is not dilated at all. I was 1/2cm with my son when my OB tried and it was excruciatingly painful. I was 3cm when my current dr did it monday and it barely was uncomfortable.

17. goddess25

goddess25 Well-Known Member

If you are comfortable with checking your cervix and know exactly what to feel for then I don't see the issue. But if your like me and have never felt your cervix then probably not a good idea.