Do babies suddenly taste differently at 10 months?

catty

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused at the minute as my son would literally eat ANYTHING. I'd never tried anything that he'd refused or not enjoyed.
He would eat raw ingredients for meals such as bits of onion, peppers etc whilst I am cooking and seem to enjoy it, then he also has a very varied diet of different meals, fruit and veg.

This past week he started spitting things out with a disgusted look on his face. He has had pasta bolognase the other night and spat it out and looked horrified even though hes had it plenty times before. Then today I gave him a kiwi and he spat it and seemed to hate it but normally he would have maybe 4 of them a week?

is this just a phase or do you think he is just becoming more fussy? I loved that I could give him anything it did make life a lot easier

I'm having the same with my LO ATM (granted he's older) but it's being going on for about a month. Seriously he would eat everything I gave him and finish the lot now he's sooo fussy and pulls his face at everything and spit it out. He's really bad if anything has bits in, like he will get all the veg or mince meat out of his mouth.

I spoke to the hv yday as he's hardly eating anything and she said it sounds more behavioural rather than him not liking the food. She told me to not make it a big deal and if after a few attempts he still won't eat or keeps spitting it out then to stop trying and move on as opposed to keep trying, so that he isn't getting to much attention from it. I'm not sure if your LO could be the same as he's younger but might be worth trying. Ano how frustrating it is trying to find something they will eat especially as he's been so good before.

Sounds like my LO too. Now he's older I just give him his dinner and leave the rest up to him, if I know he likes it but is just being awkward that's fine. I don't make a big deal out of it but I won't offer him anything else.

Probably just a phase, is he teething or anything?

And wow, he ate raw onions??!!

Thanks I will keep trying, good to know he's not the only one!
I no he's not full either as if I give him something nice like strawberry or yoghurt he will eat that. I try not to make a big deal of it and hopefully it will resolve.

Yeh he ate onion haha, I didn't offer it to him he just steals things, he eats things I'd never eat but then I have quite a limited diet

The exact thing is happening with my little girl. She just cut a tooth so I thought it was that but maybe there is something that changes their taste buds.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in feeling worried and frustrated. I honestly thought maybe it was something I was doing.

My DD has just finished a food strike. Lo and behold she has cut a new tooth! Now she is eating fine again. I just kept offering the stuff she used to eat in the same quantities and didn't make a big deal when she didn't eat it. I didn't give in by filling her up with more sweet dessert stuff than normal. She got hungry eventually and started eating properly as if nothing ever happened

I know that toddlers supposedly taste the bitter flavours more strongly, it is suggested that it is to stop them eating poisonous food. So it could be to do with him getting to a more mobile age so therefore being more likely to pick things up and out them in his mouth without the safety of the food being picked by the parents if that makes sense.

We found that it wasn't until around 9-10 months that our daughter started to eat for the sake of eating. Up until then, it was largely just play, though she did eat quite a bit. Around the 9-10 month mark, something just changed in the way she ate and it was more about taste and satiating hunger. I think this is probably case for most babies, especially if you are doing BLW, because it does take a few months to really master the skills to eat completely. Like adults, babies have preferences for things they like and don't like, and you should expect there will probably be things he won't eat and phases he'll go through when he'll only eat a small range of things. Around the 9-10 month mark, my daughter went through a phase when she only really liked fruit and yogurt, probably because those where the things she found easiest to feed herself when she really mastered how to do it. For a month, she mostly ate just fruit and yogurt, but I kept offering everything as usual. One day, the phase just ended and she tucked into a big piece of broccoli quiche and ate the whole thing. Just stick with it. Don't make a big deal over what he eats, as long as it's healthy (no biscuits or sweets or junk food), and keep offering a variety of foods. It won't last forever. My daughetr still has foods she doesn't like (fish, for instance) no matter what I do, but she'll eat most things, including olives and picked onions and beets and seaweed! You just have to be patient and trust the process. And like others have said, it can often coincide with teething or illness (for us, the month of fruit and yogurt was when she was quite sick with bronchiolitis).

I must need a nap cause it took me like 5 times to read the title and realize you weren't talking about eating your baby. :coffee:

I must need a nap cause it took me like 5 times to read the title and realize you weren't talking about eating your baby. :coffee:

I thought the same. I've eaten some exotic foods but baby is taking it too far lol

Haha!! Never even realised it sounded like that!!

Thanks everyone for your advice! I did find it strange that he was happy to eat anything at all, maybe not in start finding out what he really likes

Same here at that age. Jb said its because he's gaining independence. Around 9 months (give or take) they start to realise they are their own person and not a part of their mother. My son is nearly 12 months now and gas started to let me feed him again and eats food he used to too! Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->