Do cm define labor?

Bluewings

Blessed Twice
Reaction score
Does the size of dilation define when you're in labor, or contractions? ...

I ask because obviously you have to have some kind of "working" (non BH) contraction to dilate. I am 2cm dilated but haven't had anything I'd call a contraction except now that I realize I am dilating and effacing... I see what might be classified as one.

But they're in no way the can't-move can't-bear kind of pain. The worst one I got was today and I was able to walk and stand but just had to bend over a little to bear it.

Does my question make sense? ... Lol

I have heard that you are in active labour when you reach 5cm. Not sure how true this is as I havent looked into it. I juat got checked and havent had contractions that I couldnt bare and im at 3cm. So its kind of hard to believe that BH dont have anything to do with dilation.

That's what I keep thinking. I know BH can NOT do things, but at the same time if I don't have unbearable contractions but am dilated then SOMETHING is making stuff happen lol

I agree!! Lol I cant even remember the last time I had sex so that isnt helping me dilate either so what is it...baby playing with it..bhaha

It's 4cm when you are deemed aftive labour. But I guess you wouldn't go in unless you have contractions anyway!

I think it depends. Last time i had been having horrible contractions for 2 hours and when the midwife checked i was only 3cm (so not active labour). I asked for an epidural and she said no because there was no space in labour suite, but i think its because she didnt think I was far enough yet. Anyway 20 minutes later i told my dh to press the emergency button because i needed to push, a space in labour suite magically appeared and my dd was out in 2 pushes. I am not sure what they recorded my active labour to be, but i KNOW it was 3 hours.

I'm 3 cm and completely effaced. I haven't had a single contraction except for BH occasionally. I had some AF cramps and back pain right after my last check, but that's it.

It's so frustrating! I don't know what's going on either.

From my experience 4cm is active labour, but I remember when I had my DS I was dilating and not feeling anything but bhs, the MW told me they wernt BHS and they were contractions so maybe in early stages of dilation/ labour some women like myself only have tightenings that feel like bhs so not that uncomfy, but once I got to 5cm and my waters were broken it Definatley kicked in as contractions lol..x

Sounds like then 4cm means you're in active labor whether you feel it or not! LOL

I think it depends on the person. My mother was 6cm dilated for a month with her last pregnancy but that was number 8.

If you are 4cm dilated they will usually admit you to the hospital if you are having other symptoms but people can also walk around that way for quite some time without issues.

There are some posts here from people who are 2-3cm dilated from 31 or 32 weeks and still go overdue and others who have had their waters break or steady painful contractions and are barely dilated and suddenly it just goes from 0-10 within a few short hours.

I think here it's 5cm and you're in active labour x

Hmm. That's all kind of disappointing haha.

I wonder if at my next cervical check (do they do that every appt in the US?...)if I am 4 if they'll tell me to go to hospital. Haha

My ob has never done a single cervical check. I ended up getting one when I went to l&d due to severe pain and some doctor there decided to give me one and it wasn't even at my hospital!

There is a lady on here too who has been 4cm dilated and 80% effaced for a couple of weeks now and still hasn't gone into labor. It's all very individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->