do i buy a doppler?

ethan amelia

Mummy to Isabelle
Reaction score
iv been thinking this over for ages now and need your advice!!

ill be 10 weeks at the weekend and would love to hear my babys HB on doppler

BUT

i am a really big worrier!! OH thinks its a bad idea cos if i cant hear it at first i will freak out and worry that somethings wrong.

had a scan 2 weeks ago and everything was brill, saw HB and baby.

i dont know whether to get one or not??

I ordered my Doppler at over 12wks
and didnt hear beans heartbeat until i was 13+4 then
id deffo recommed one..
BUT patience is a MUST!! took me an hour and half to find beans H/B
at 13+4
can find em in space of few sec/min now tho

BEST OF LUCK x

hi - which one did you buy? Its my first anniversary in a couple of weeks and i am contemplating buying one so OH can hear his baby....thought ide get it sooner rather than later as i understand its tricky to find heartbeat straight away.............

I had one with DD and it was great, but we sold it after! But you do start to panic unecessarily if you cant find it!

I'm thinking the exactly same thing :) i've been worrying all the way through that something is wrong, i want to buy one to reassure me when i'm worrying but i'm so scared that if i buy one it will make me worry more that i cant find anything! :( I completely know where your coming from, i think we both need to stop panicking so much and just get one lol! xx

i finally caved in a bought an angelsounds doppler! im 13+5 so hoping to hear hb when it arrives

xx

i gave in and bought the same one yesterday.....will be firm with myself and stay level headed if i cant find the heartbeat!

I would talk to your birth provider about this. More research is being done on dopplers about their safeness to the fetus, since we know that ultrasounds aren't all that safe (especially not 3D or 4D) and they think dopplers may have long term effects. Also, it can create unwanted worry if you can't find the heartbeat, which a lot of mother's have a problem doing. Also, all dopplers are different. The ones in the clinic are very expensive and better quality, the ones for home use are lower quality so may take longer or more skills to find the heartbeat. I had a doppler with my son, used it a few times, but wasn't worth it. If I couldn't find his heart beat then I would worry, when I should have just enjoyed being pregnant. Soon enough you'll be able to feel your baby move, which is just as good as hearing the heart beat. I will be using a fetoscope with this baby for many reasons (I'm studying to be a Midwife and most Midwive's use them). Good luck to you in whatever you decide!

I've got an Angelsounds doppler which arrived today and it was lovely and reasurring to hear the heartbeat again :cloud9:
But don't panic if you can't find the heartbeat straight away, it took ages this morning to find it! In fact hubby found it in the end :thumbup: and then I tried it again just now and couldn't find anything.
So I've packed it away now cos otherwise I'll be on it hourly hehe...also I found I had to press quite firmly and I didn't want to start up any tummy cramps again.
So I would say only get one if you can control yourself with it lol xx

I would talk to your birth provider about this. More research is being done on dopplers about their safeness to the fetus, since we know that ultrasounds aren't all that safe (especially not 3D or 4D) and they think dopplers may have long term effects. Also, it can create unwanted worry if you can't find the heartbeat, which a lot of mother's have a problem doing. Also, all dopplers are different. The ones in the clinic are very expensive and better quality, the ones for home use are lower quality so may take longer or more skills to find the heartbeat. I had a doppler with my son, used it a few times, but wasn't worth it. If I couldn't find his heart beat then I would worry, when I should have just enjoyed being pregnant. Soon enough you'll be able to feel your baby move, which is just as good as hearing the heart beat. I will be using a fetoscope with this baby for many reasons (I'm studying to be a Midwife and most Midwive's use them). Good luck to you in whatever you decide!

I told my midwife yesterday at my appointment that I had a doppler and found the baby's heart since 9 weeks. She thought that was great. Didn't seem to think there was the least bit of risk to the baby.

Ethan amelia - Did you decide to get one?

I still havent decided!!! im so indecisive. i may wait until im 12 weeks x

I bought one from another girl on here a while ago when i was pregnant with the twins i'm just waiting for my gel to arrive and then i'm going to give it a go. I think as long as you don't freak out if you can't find it straight away it shoudl be ok. If they weren't safe they wouldn't be allowed to sell them to non healthcare professionals.
Let us know how you get on x

I just got mine!! and im at work and couldnt wait to try it. Was really nervous and telling myself not to worry if i cant hear anything (i feel sick enough to know all is ok :D) i listened to my heart so i wouldnt mistake mine for Juniors. Took me a few different locations and then i heard it! Was amazing to hear it again! i hope i can find it again for my husband...and i hope he likes his anniversary present! Hope those of you who have bought one get as much happiness from it as i just did xx

oh wicked nice one babes how far along are you?

my gel arrived yesterday and i tried late last night but i couldn't find it only tried for 10 mins though!

Just wanted to pop back from second tri to say I absolutely love my doppler :)

It's an ultratec one, which i think is one that midwives themselves use. I bought it off someone from here for £35 when I was just over 12 weeks. I first heard LOs heartbeat at 12+2. I recorded a little video of it at 12+5. I have heard the concerns about safety of dopplers etc so i only use mine max twice a week but it is lovely. I had mild food poisoning and it was so nice to be able to just check LOs heartbeat. I will say though, it did take me about 20 mins to find it the first couple of times. From then on I tended to know where about to look so find it near enough straight away now.

I'll attach my video of bubs HB at 12+5 to show you how amazing it is, the quality of my camera isn't fabulous and the video is quite noisy so turn your speakers down if you watch, I don't mind if no one watches it though :)

https://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/katy_t89/th_006.jpg.

oh i'll have to check that out when i get home!

Hello!

I rented one in my first pregnancy due to bleeding for reassurance. babybeat.com, my second pregnancy I bought one (https://www.activeforever.com/p-2294-babycom-home-doppler-fetal-heartbeat-monitor.aspx was about $149.99 - I really liked this one....and I could keep it (I also bled)....now for this pregnancy, I have one....I think it is a great investment!!! .....

P/s. - If you do get one, I would advise you to get more Ultrasound Gel than what comes with it.....I used the gel generously =)

Good Luck

Here are some others that seemed to be a resonable price and looked good.

Check out site below:

https://www.contecmed.com/paypal/product1.asp?id=Fetal Doppler&gclid=CJLq957UxpwCFSMeDQod1W_CJQ

Love mine - just jumped into week 17, i have been lucky and found it everytime but sometimes takes a good few pokes before i can pick it up. Its wonderful to hear just before bed to say Goodnight....so soppy!
aflight84 - did you find it in the end?

I told my midwife yesterday at my appointment that I had a doppler and found the baby's heart since 9 weeks. She thought that was great. Didn't seem to think there was the least bit of risk to the baby.

Glad to hear it. I have been researching dopplers and their safety since I'm studying to be a Midwife, and haven't found any studies that suggest doppler use for homes, and haven't found any Midwives that I personally know who suggest it. Mostly advise against it, but everyone is different. To each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->