Do I need anything else?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by aimee-lou, Dec 22, 2009.

1. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

I've got some spare cash (amazing considering the time of year! lol :wacko:) so I decided to go onto ebay and get my 'equipment' for when we wean in a few months.

I have bought:

2 x beakers with handles
    3 x weaning bowls
    8 x food pots for the freezer
    10 x weaning spoons

I also bought some spoons in the shape of aeroplanes but they're more for hubby lol. :blush:

I have loads of bibs, and will obviously need a highchair. I think I may also get a plate for when he has finger food. I have a blender and we're going to buy a food processer in the new year as well. I am going to get a recipe book (see my other thread as I am open to recommendations). I'm not sure whether or not we're going to try BLW - I would really like to though so is there anything special I need for this?

Thanks ladies, now that Earl seems to have settled down a little with his eating, i'm not panicking quite so much and can now think about nice things again, like the fun we're going to have with food! :happydance:

2. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

If you go for BLW you probably won't need the freezer pots, or bowls really, they tend to just get thrown!
    A splash mat is probably a good idea, Asda do them at a good price, don't buy mothercare's rip off ones! However I don't bother with one because I find our wooden floor is just as easy to clean.
    If you've spare cash then I'd say the Gill Rapley book 'Baby Led Weaning' is prob a good investment. It's about £10. Then you can really know your stuff before deciding which route to go down!
    With the highchair, if you're considering BLW I would say either get a chair that is height adjustable, or get one that pulls right up to your dining table, so LO is at a comfortable height to reach food.

3. ellismum

ellismum Ellis' mum!!

I have found the Dustbuster hand held hoover has been a godsend!! Saves lugging the Hoover out 3 times a day lol!!!

4. aimee-lou

Thanks for that! :thumbup:

The stuff I've bought was really cheap (i'm a bit of an ebay fiend! lol) so I thought it best to have these things in just in case. I think the whole lot has cost be £15 including postage which for a 'just in case' set isn't bad considerng the same set in Mothercare or the like would be around £30!!

Highchairs.....I am going to do some shopping around as there seems to be a baffling array. I would like one that reclines so that he can come to table as soon as possible and get used to 'mealtimes' iykwim.

I will get that book as soon as I can I think.....give me some good bedtime reading material! :dohh:

Thanks again x

5. aimee-lou

Lol :haha:

Does a small terrier count? lol

6. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

Tell me about it, it's a nightmare trying to find the right one because some seem to be great for one baby and no good for the next! Good luck :)

7. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Agree with what Claire said for the BLW equipment. If you go down the puree route though and want to make it yourself you'll need way more than 8 freezer pots!

8. aimee-lou

Oh I know....I'll keep buying more as I go along (I have a feeling that a combo route may be best for earl.....both hubby and I are foodies lol) and I'm definitely going to be making my own....I never trust a jar, even for us! lol

9. ellismum

ellismum Ellis' mum!!

My mum has 2 Cockers and they go mad when we put Ellis in his highchair there. They don't budge until he's done:haha:

10. Kayleigh09

Kayleigh09 Well-Known Member

I use a hand blender for making puree's, £5 in asda and its brilliant!! Small, easy to use, just use it with a pyrex jug and there you go :) its must easier and minimal washing up after that! :)