Do the microfibre/terry inserts in nappies have a life span?

L

lepaskilf

Tom's been in cloth nappies on and off for 2 years now and the inserts are looking a bit tatty. He also seems to leak alot more in them, I put this down to his bladder being bigger now than when he was a baby but it made me wonder whether the inserts are less absorbant now they're older? I've never used fabric softner on them x

Do you strip wash them? If not, try that because it could be detergent build up. I don't think they get less absorbent over time although I've been wondering about bamboo when it goes 'bald' with age. Toddlers do wee differently to babies so it could be that too - big flooding wees are much more likely to leak suddenly than little baby wees which are just little dribbles compared to toddler one! And elastic around legs can slacken with age so the fit may not be as good - Flips are a particularly bad culprit for this.

All cloth actually gets thinnner the more it's worn and washed, so after 2 years, yes your inserts will be thinner. They'll still be absorbent, but not as absorbent as new ones will be. It's the same with all clothes - that's why things get thin particularly at the knees, elbows etc, after time

Do you strip wash them? If not, try that because it could be detergent build up. I don't think they get less absorbent over time although I've been wondering about bamboo when it goes 'bald' with age. Toddlers do wee differently to babies so it could be that too - big flooding wees are much more likely to leak suddenly than little baby wees which are just little dribbles compared to toddler one! And elastic around legs can slacken with age so the fit may not be as good - Flips are a particularly bad culprit for this.

Thank you :) How do you strip wash? Can you tell I've not done this in the 2 yrs he's been wearing cloth :blush:

Also, I use a combo of the itti's and the BG's. The BGs leak more now than when he was older, maybe that has something to do with the fit with the elsatic, like you say, around the legs because they're birth to potty!

There's a link in my signature with all the details. If you've never done it, I'd say that's quite likely to be the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->