Do they always do a 12 week scan?

Periwinkle58

Reaction score
I had my first ultrasound at 6weeks. At 10weeks I went in to do the harmony test (no idea why they requested it. I'm 25 with no history). I have a 14week appt tomorrow but it's just a checkup and she said I won't have an ultrasound til 20 weeks. Is that normal? From what I've seen on here everyone gets a 12wk scan. I hate having to wait 15wks to see if everything is "okay" :(

My Dr doesn't do 12 week scans either. He says they are unnecessary unless I was 35 or had some genetic reason to need it. He does quad screening from 16-18 weeks which is just a blood test to see if I have higher risk for downs/spina bifida and something else that I forget now. :dohh: but he is of the thought that 12 week scans are a waste of resources. :shrug:

Possibly the people you hear talking about 12 week scans are from the UK. We only get two scans as standard. 12 & 20 weeks! You guys overseas get lots more!

My doctor doesn't do them either. She does a dating scan at 8-10 weeks and then the anatomy ultrasound at 20 weeks. And then a growth/position scan at 36-37 weeks.

Possibly the people you hear talking about 12 week scans are from the UK. We only get two scans as standard. 12 & 20 weeks! You guys overseas get lots more!

This is what I was going to say too, our twelve week scan is essentially a dating and anomaly scan in one (you have to be at least 11 weeks for the anomaly scan to be accurate).

I had one at 8 weeks but won't have another til 20 weeks.

As pps have said it depends on where you live. Typically in the US you get your first ultrasound around 8 weeks, anatomy at 20 weeks, and depending on the doctor a growth scan around 37 weeks

I'm in the UK, with my first pregnancy I had 7 scans for various reasons from 6-33 weeks. In my area we get one at 12 weeks and another at 20 weeks.

I'm in the US had a 12/wk scan. I guess it depends on where you live even in the US.

In the U.K. The dating scan has to be done between 10 and 14 weeks so ideally 12 weeks, they believe this is when the growth regulates so can give a proper estimated due date. We also get offered screening tests too to check for other things if we choose.

Then the 20 week scan is the big one to check everything x

I'm in Canada and I'm having a scan at 12 weeks for the genetic testing (apparently supposed to be done between 11 and 13 weeks). After that, it's 20 weeks, and that's pretty much it.

I have Kaiser and last time I was in the office they had a chart up saying prenatal one was around 7-8 weeks and then basically every four weeks after until you get close to due date. I swear it said they scan at every appointment but the doctor came in before I could snap a pic and since I wasn't pregnant yet I didn't ask. But if they don't scan at 12 they do at 16 according to the website

I am in the us and my doctor gives 8 week growth scan, 12 week scan to check nuchal fold, 20 week anatomy scan, and 36 eeek growth scan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->