Do you appreciate hand-me-downs or shop second hand?

Momma2Violet

Reaction score
I was going to do baby's laundry last night and realized that I hadn't purchased one single item of clothing in the pile. My elderly neighbors (are SO excited about a babe!) and a friend who has a little girl, who will be a year to our due date, have been so generous that I really haven't had to buy anything yet, even down to onesies. The items are all lovely--some of them haven't even been worn. Of course I know my mother and in laws will buy new things till the cows come home, but I wondered if any of you believe in the "recycle" of well loved baby clothing?

I also seem to have thrifted my nursery furniture, as well. Finding things in vintage shops and making them "new" again. I'm stuck on a crib, though--for whatever reason I don't seem to want a used one. Dunno.

hell yes... they arent in things 4 long so the more i get free the better :)

i was silly on my first and wouldnt eeven consider it.....older and wiser now tho lol

I shop at thift stores, I buy things that look clean and new tho I wont buy anything dirty or gross looking. My MIL went to the thift store and Bought us a ton of clothes that looked brand new and they were only .49 cents a piece, Id rather spend .49cents a peice then $15 That they will only wear once or twice. I have bought New iteams tho, Its just neat seeing what sum thift stores have :)

I love vintage shops i go in them all the time, with the baby tho im really weary about people giving/buying me things as i don't know where they have been. I know they can be washed but it still doesn't feel the same as something new.

As i say when its myself i don't care haha.

If i know for a fact that the person is super clean & i liked whatever they were giving me then yeah no problem at all.

I hate it when people give me things that they don't want & i don't like but i don't have the heart to tell them so i have to take them then wonder what to do next with whatever it is.

Its just me as a person tho, im a clutter free freak i hate clutter & only like things around that i actually use. x

I'm EXACTLY the same about a used crib. NO WAY. I dunno why, I suppose we could just buy a new mattress and then its LIKE new, but I'm stuck on that too... gonna be new I think... :blush:
We haven't got any clothes at all yet, I'm gonna hafta start looking in thrift shops, I have NO prob with that as long as, as you say, they are clean and new looking!
xxx

i love handmedowns and second hand stuff. I have bought a few new items but most of my stuff is from other ppl charity shops or Ebay. As long as its washed what does it matter its been worn before. I've saved bucket loads.

I have said to everyone though that the few things I want new are feeding things, electrical things and the cot!

Recycling at is very best!! and its free. Getting a load of stuff from my sister whos saving all her Newborn stuff. Great. Did I mention it was free..

hell yes... they arent in things 4 long so the more i get free the better :)

i was silly on my first and wouldnt eeven consider it.....older and wiser now tho lol

ditto!!

now its bring on the freebies!!

h x

I definitely appreciate hand-me-downs! It saves money not to mention planetary resources!

Good! Glad to know I'm in good company! I do a ton of thrifting for myself and my husband (he wears vintage 1960's era buttondowns and cardigans), so it stands to reason I'd shop second hand for baby...except I really haven't had to yet because everyone has already done the leg work :)

Our friends who have little Olive, who will be a year on our due date, gave us clothing and said, "If you only like one thing, great--and the rest, just pass on to someone else, or to the thrift because you know SOMEONE out there needs them!" I did just that. There were many things that I gladly took, but some that just wouldn't work because of the season/size (a size 12 months bathing suit--our little one will be a year in February--brrrr!!!! too cold for a swimsuit!). But overall, there are some adorable, wonderful things.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one concerned about a 2nd hand crib--I really can't pinpoint it, but if it's the only thing new our little one has, so be it ;)

I'm a bargain hunter, so I don't mind stuff 2nd time around (as long as it's in good condition) or hand-me-downs. My SIL and one of my good friends have given us a suitcase each of baby boy stuff - loads of it is still new with the tags on!

Definitely, we're so lucky OH parent's friends have just had their first and last child through ivf and aren't having anymore so they're giving us all their baby stuff and apparently its all state of the arts prams and stuff like that so won't need to buy much, so pleased about that as its all the stuff that wud be costly, and now we can buy clothes and spend time looking at the lil things and not worry about the big stuff. xx

Definitely, we're so lucky OH parent's friends have just had their first and last child through ivf and aren't having anymore so they're giving us all their baby stuff and apparently its all state of the arts prams and stuff like that so won't need to buy much, so pleased about that as its all the stuff that wud be costly, and now we can buy clothes and spend time looking at the lil things and not worry about the big stuff. xx

That's been the way I feel, too. I bought a lovely vintage 4 drawer dresser with a bookcase up top for $12.00 at the thrift, painted it up, and replaced the drawer pulls....it has dove-tailed drawers, and is real wood, unlike the stuff they sell at the baby super stores. And now, if I want, I can spend a little extra on custom crib bumpers and quilt, and actually be able to pay the hospital bill :)

well my mate is giving me her cot as her sons grown out of it now. I dont mind all i have to get is a new matress. Dont want a second hand pram for some reason but i am all for recycling.

Now don't shout me down girls but I wouldn't have anything second hand unless it was from my immediate family and no one in my immediate family has children...so...I'll be buying all new.

Maybe it's because this is my first and I'm being super protective but I'm a massive clean freak and I wouldn't wear second hand so I wouldn't expect my baby to.

I wouldn't buy a pushchair/carseat/cot etc second hand especially because you can't put them in the washing machine! I know it sounds mad and I've already spent a fortune on things for bambino but while I can afford it (ie. before Maternity Leave) then I am going to spoil my LO.

I am a bit funny about second hand items of any sort. Maybe it'd be different if it was my second or I didn't have the spare cash (not that I have much, but what I do have is generally being spent on baby at the moment).

I may only get to do this once so I will spoil LO. Mad I know! :dohh:

I love a bargain, and have bought a few bits off ebay 2nd hand, although the cot and pram are new. My friend has given me loads of baby girl stuff as shes just had twins, as long as its in good clean condition then I dont see anything wrong with a bit of recycling.

Gosh no--no shutting down--to each his, um her own :) I would love to be able to buy all new, but things are so....unpredictable financially (in the US) that I'm just playing it safe. My husband is a server in a fine dining establishment, and you just never know when the bottom will fall out of his good money. Now, that said, there are some things I won't buy second hand for us (like bras and undies, and socks). Agreed, though, I'm mostly purchasing items that I can wash and get clean my way--things you can't like exersaucers and what have you, I'm on the fence.

I'm also a bit leary of the second hand cloth diaper market--anyone have experience with that? I want to use the cloth dipes that are one size, but each one is about $13.00...but overall, the initial investment is worth it (at least for me) when you calculate how many disposables one might use. Don't know if I like the idea of some other little one's poo in them--and some other little ones momma who might not wash like I do!!!

Yep love all the things i have been given .
You girls should see the site freecycle , I was given 3 black binbags of next,bhs designer clothes :) , Most never worn . i was sooo happy and this womans genorsity was so kind .
I like many other went crazy with my first half of wich she never wore ! , I threw most of it and swore i would never do that again .
I have been given a cot , But its from a very close family member only used for 6 months and i have baught a Mothercare New matress when i was in town the other day.
I love freebies but allso have a thing about used matresses so allways buy them new . Other than that bring on stuff people dont want , With OH been made part time at work the other week , The things we have been given really really help :) . xxx .

I love second hand and hand me downs. I have 3 kids already so this one will be getting a fair few hand me downs. I do buy new too but not a lot. With my first everything was given to me so when I my second 8 yrs later and financially better off then I bought most thing brand new but as I have gone on to have more I have gotten more use out of it anyway!!

Gosh no--no shutting down--to each his, um her own :) I would love to be able to buy all new, but things are so....unpredictable financially (in the US) that I'm just playing it safe. My husband is a server in a fine dining establishment, and you just never know when the bottom will fall out of his good money. Now, that said, there are some things I won't buy second hand for us (like bras and undies, and socks). Agreed, though, I'm mostly purchasing items that I can wash and get clean my way--things you can't like exersaucers and what have you, I'm on the fence.

I'm also a bit leary of the second hand cloth diaper market--anyone have experience with that? I want to use the cloth dipes that are one size, but each one is about $13.00...but overall, the initial investment is worth it (at least for me) when you calculate how many disposables one might use. Don't know if I like the idea of some other little one's poo in them--and some other little ones momma who might not wash like I do!!!

Things are financially shaky here in the UK too hun, same almost everywhere right now. You never know what might happen. So we too are grateful of anything we can avoid paying out for so we have extra cash for a rainy day. It makes far more sense to SAVE now while we can, rather than SPEND.

We're going cloth for nappies too and that's pretty much the only thing I wouldn't get second hand too! Most online places that you can get cloth nappies will do a bumper pack that dramatically reduces the cost even further. (In Britain you save about £600 for the first child if you go cloth, then any subsequent children you obviously save the full £900+)

We're getting our cot second hand, but getting a new mattress and bedding. And I'll probably get new steriliser too. But pretty much anything else people want to offer us for free or cheap is very gratefully received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->