Do you believe this?

CapitalChick

Mommy to 1 and preggo!!!
Reaction score
I have a friend who works in a lab in a hospital. When I told her I was TTC, she told me that her lab stashes these pregnancy tests that cost $100 a piece (!!), but can tell whether the egg has been fertilized within 2-3 days after fertilization. I explained to her everything I had read about how your body doesn’t produce hCG until after implantation and blah blah blah...and she insisted that her tests cannot be bought by the public, are only for laboratory use, and can tell within 72 hours of fertilization.

Now, I’ve looked around, and a few sites do concur with what she’s saying...that hCG is produced before implantation...But I still don’t know what to believe...She sent me 7 tests (ssshhhh...I know, she’s a criminal :p ), and I don’t want to waste them, so thusfar I’ve been just using them on 10 DPO and have had BFN’s every time....which is fair enough, because I’ve never been pregnant (except for that very early miscarriage).

The first detection of hCG in the blood depends on when implantation happens. Extremely sensitive tests which are not available in a regular laboratory can detect the hCG even before implantation. But with regular laboratory hCG tests, hCG is usually found in sufficient levels as early as 2-3 days after implantation.
https://babymed.com/faq/content.aspx?13508

“In order to test positive on a home pregnancy test, there must be hCG present in your blood stream. hCG production starts at an early stage of development, just a few days after conception, before implantation in the uterus, but you will not be able to read until after implantation.”
https://www.fertilinet.com/frequentlyaskedquestions.htm
“hCG is produced by the trophoblast cells of the placenta. hCG production starts at an early stage of development, just a few days after conception, before implantation in the uterus. hCG enters the maternal circulation almost immediately after implantation of the embryo (blastocyst) on about day 21 of the menstrual cycle.”
https://www.hcglab.com/hCG levels.htm

What do you think?

seriously i don't know! there is a part of me who think it's kind of good to wait to test just in case the PG doesn't take and i will just have my Af and not know i was BFP i think i will prefer to not knowing .
but i do thing there is some super sensitive test out there!

I've never heard of this, will have to look into it later (when I'm not at work!)

i cudnt see tests at value of $100 a piece being available tbh!

all doctors and hospitals round here only reccomend u test at blah time, and would be a bit pricey to fund something like this!

also im sure if $700 of tests had went missing ur friend wud b in deep doos!!!

Yes, I go believe (and indeed know, as it's scientifically proven, right?) that hCG levels shoot up only a day or two after conception. This explains why so many women notice symptoms within about 2-3 days of ovulating - especially the tingling bbs and tiredness. 2 friends who are PG both said their bbs started tingling and increased in size around 16dpo, which makes sense.

However, early testing is kinda dangerous unless you're advised to do it for medical reasons (eg. if you're on medication that could damage an embryo) ... I still really think people ought to wait till their AF is late b4 testing cos there are many cases of chemical pregnancies where, in essence, you are PG for a few days but then the bean falls away and you get your AF maybe a little later than usual. if you don't test, you wouldn't know that you were kinda PG for a few days - and thus save the heart ache! But it's up to individuals what they wish to do! x

hey its worth a try! i bought the 20 hcg's bc i was so impatient!

I don't know anything about these tests but I know there is HCG before implantation. Just not too sure how it gets into your bloodstream. The cells as they divide begin making it I think and then the yolk sack it making it. This is supposedly what causes morning sickness because even when it's implanted and the placenta is being created, most of the hormone is still from the yolk sack, until the placenta takes over fully at about 12 weeks & morning sickness tends to go.

I spoke with her again yesterday, and she said that she JUST did a test on a woman who had conceived....CONCEIVED....3 days prior. They did an ultrasound and determined that the fertilized egg was in her fallopian tube still (not even implanted yet).
Now...I should say that you can use these tests with urine or blood. She says that hCG shows up a few days earlier in the blood than it does in urine. She says that the woman would've had a negative result if she had used urine, but she thinks even the urine would've shown positive in 3-4 days (that's 6-7 dpo!)....
Anyway, I'm still waiting 'til 10dpo

I don't think it's such a good idea to use those, I wouldn't wanna get my hopes up if the implantation would then fail and AF would arrive.

Yes, I believe it. I'd love to have some, but would perhaps miss the little voice that says 'well maybe test in a few days time and see' after testing with a cheapie.

With these all singing all dancing tests, the one test would say game over too early for me.

Never heard of them, but it's definitely not impossible! Best of luck honey

I thought that the hcg (pregnancy hormone) gets released in to your blood stream when implantation occurs and the hcg comes from the placenta which starts to form same time as implantation? dont know what to think now :dohh:

I don't think it's such a good idea to use those, I wouldn't wanna get my hopes up if the implantation would then fail and AF would arrive.

I agree with that. So many pregnancies fail because implantation doesn't happen or happen quite right and you'd just dismiss it as AF. It would only cause more disapointment if you knew an egg had been fertilized.

Sandy said:
I thought that the hcg (pregnancy hormone) gets released in to your blood stream when implantation occurs and the hcg comes from the placenta which starts to form same time as implantation? dont know what to think now

The placenta does make it and so does the yolk sack which appears before the placenta & releases most of the hormone until the placenta is big enough to take over the job.

I know that years ago when I went to the ER with a kidney stone they used a pregnancy test that I was charged $75 for, this was 10 years ago. Since I had to have a dye test to x-ray my kidneys to look for the stones, I can see why they would need a test like this.

Hi, i want to know, if your bub hasn't implanted yet, and you're past your due date for your period, what tells your body to wait for the embryo to implant?

The embryo must produce hcg and it must be absorbed into your reproductive system. Even if its miniscule, our bodies are so sensitive to hormone changes it must be enough to signal the corpus luteum to continue to produce enough progesterone to stop your period. Its the only thing that makes sense!

I was 3 days late, I took a positive preg test 2 minutes before i started my period (i thought it was my period) and the bleeding stopped within 24 hours. The positive test must have occurred because there was hcg present in the menstrual blood, and there must have bn a little blood in my urine. Its the only explanation i can come up with.

I tested again 3 days later and the test was negative, but still no period. 1 an half days of bleeding is not long enough for a period for me. So assuming implantation bleed, i have to wait a week for hcg to be present in urine to get accurate test result.

Holding my breath!!

One of those super sensitive tests would be a heaven sent right about now! lol:wacko:

I really didn't think you could even see an egg at all, or anything before 5 weeks into the pregnancy. I'm not sure if I believe it.

No, I don't believe it. First of all, a lab doesn't just drop a bit of urine or blood on a stick like we do and look for two lines or a smiley face. A quantitative HCG test of the blood can detect an HCG level of 1 in the blood, which is a normal level for a non-pregnant woman. So to say that there is somehow something more sensitive than a beta makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The only way I could even wrap my mind around these supposed tests is if they somehow took the blood sample directly from the uterus. That would be in line with some of the theories on this thread that it's a low level, or localized hormone. But really, even that doesn't make sense to me.

I think maybe your friend doesn't know the difference between conception and implantation. If she said they could detect HCG within 1-3 days of implanatation, in a lab, with blood, I would believe that. But even people with plentiful financial resources undergoing expensive IVF/infertility treatments aren't being offered this supposed test. And I'm pretty sure to someone spending $10,000 on IVF, a $100 pregnancy test would be an automatic.

Besides, even with a fertilized egg, you are not considered pregnant. That would be like saying everyone who undergoes IVF and has an embryo put back is pregnant. And in many cases, IVF never results in a pregnancy.

So no, I don't believe it. And even if it was true, which it's not, it would be pointless information, since a pregnancy does not occur until implantation. It would be worthless information, even if it was attainable.

I believe your friend might have given you some ultra sensitive test strips, but detecting a fertilized, yet to implant egg, no.

I also agree that if $700 worth of tests had gone missing, someone would be looking for them.

Tests can pick up a pregnancy before implantation thats why you get chemical pregnancies (the egg has fertilised but doesnt implant)
Some people produce hcg extremly early and alot of it thats why I got my bfp at 7dpo, there was a faint one at 5dpo but I refused to believe it at the time.
I also got a chemical bfp at 4dpo, 5dpo and 6dpo a few months beforhand.
Others produce it at a slower rate hence why most tests wont pick it up till later.

Personaly I wouldnt use them as the heartache of it isnt worth the grief, nowing you where so close yet so far with a fertalised egg that failed to implant.
Saying that though im an impatiant nosey poas addict so I would probably crack and use it :)

FYI -

According to the American Pregnancy Association - Chemical pregnancies may account for 50-75% of all miscarriages. This occurs when a pregnancy is lost shortly after implantation, resulting in bleeding that occurs around the time of her expected period.

Also -

An over the counter HPT (as opposed to this supposed test in labs) CANNOT detect HCG before implantation.

According to www.peeonastick.com - When an egg is fertilized, it takes about 6 to 12 days to implant in the uterus, and then it begins to secrete hCG. It takes another day or two for enough hCG to build up and make its way into your pee. So, generally speaking, the earliest you can expect a positive HPT is 8 days past ovulation ("DPO") and the latest would be about 16 DPO. It is possible to get a positive test earlier or later, but not as common.

FYI -

According to the American Pregnancy Association - Chemical pregnancies may account for 50-75% of all miscarriages. This occurs when a pregnancy is lost shortly after implantation, resulting in bleeding that occurs around the time of her expected period.

Also -

An over the counter HPT (as opposed to this supposed test in labs) CANNOT detect HCG before implantation.

According to www.peeonastick.com - When an egg is fertilized, it takes about 6 to 12 days to implant in the uterus, and then it begins to secrete hCG. It takes another day or two for enough hCG to build up and make its way into your pee. So, generally speaking, the earliest you can expect a positive HPT is 8 days past ovulation ("DPO") and the latest would be about 16 DPO. It is possible to get a positive test earlier or later, but not as common.

FYI
A chemical pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg does not implant into the uterine wall. If a pregnancy test is taken just at the right time it will be positive, however, when a repeat test is taken several days later it will be negative.
Chemical pregnancies also more recently covers extremly early misscariages ie within a day or two of implantation.
So chemical pregnancies covers both, anything that can only be picked up by chemical testing ie hormone strips and blood tests but cant yet be detected by ultra sound (it then becomes a clinical pregnancy)
https://www.ourmiscarriage.com/chemical_pregnancy.html

https://www.womens-health.co.uk/chemical.html

https://miscarriage.about.com/od/miscarriageglossary/g/chemicalpreg.htm

https://www.chemicalpregnancy.org/

HCG is produced on fertalisation but is increased massivly once implantation happens hence why most tests cant pick it up till a few days after implantation but its possible to pick it up before implantation.
At the time of my chemical and my following pregnancy I was undergoing strict observations so I knew the time of ov, the time of conception so I knew how many dpo I was when I had my chemical and my following pregnancy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->