Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

L

LilMiss_91

Just curious to see how many people celebrate it.
Me and OH don't and I feel like we're the only ones!

We "mark" it yeah, it's our anniversary on the 12th so we tend to do something to mark both occasions in one. He's military and been away for the last 3 years on valentines day so we haven't done much in recent years, but when he's here I'd normally cook us a nice meal. I know I have a flower and chocolate delivery expected today. Obviously we show each other we love each other every day, but there's no harm having a little fun and enjoying some chocolate :)

Honestly though I just wish he was here, I would forego the chocolate and roses if I could just spend the day with him, I think that's why we like to make the most of holidays like this when he is around because we know it's not often.

I totally understand that (well not understand, but I can empathise). But you have a real reason to use those holidays.
Me and OH see each other every day, we go out for meals and days out regularly and I get surprise flowers every now and again. I suppose we just don't like the idea of doing those things on the same day as everyone else at it makes it feel less special to us.
But I can understand why these kinds of days would be more important to couples who can't do that.

Yes we do, the argument against it can be applied to all holidays i.e mothers day- I'm a mother all year and my family appreciate me all year don't they? Same goes with every other day that's marked out. For me/us it's a day that celebrates couples and being in love rather than just showing you love someone, we constantly do things as a couple. valentines day is a lovely day of the year and it's a shame that some can't let others enjoy it and just moan and complain, nobody is forcing you to buy things!

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend!

I think everyone is allowed their own opinions on it personally. It bugs some people to hear others moaning about it but it also bugs others to be surrounded by people declaring their love to each other lol. Made much worse these days with things like facebook where it's pretty inescapable.

I guess it's the public nature of valentines day I don't understand. I don't personally feel the need to tell the world how I feel so long as my OH knoss and much of Valentines day can be construed as a little ostentatious.

But like I said, that's just my opinion.

don't worry you didn't offend! I just find the general attitude of make a big deal out of not making a big deal out of Valentine's Day a bit OTT in people, I just get on with it :haha: I think it's fine that not everyone likes it but going out of your way to make a point of it comes across a little snobby, I guess it's just fashionable to hate V's day these days :haha: You don't see posters going around anti fathers day/mothers day/new years eve/st patricks day/easter/halloween etc

forgot to say I didn't mean you OP btw! I meant people IRL and in general.

I don't do Valentines Day. If we want to have a day to celebrate our love it is our wedding anniversary as that day is special and means something to us.

Having said that I have no problem with people who do celebrate Valentines day, I think that's lovely. I also get sick of people proclaiming to hate Valentines day but I don't think that's what OP was doing at all. I've often wondered if my husband and I are the only ones who don't celebrate Valentines day, doesn't mean I have a problem with anyone who does or I'm trying to spoil it for anybody.

I think everyone is allowed their own opinions on it personally. It bugs some people to hear others moaning about it but it also bugs others to be surrounded by people declaring their love to each other lol. Made much worse these days with things like facebook where it's pretty inescapable.

I guess it's the public nature of valentines day I don't understand. I don't personally feel the need to tell the world how I feel so long as my OH knoss and much of Valentines day can be construed as a little ostentatious.

I can understand what you're saying, but then would it be the same for mothers/fathers day for you? On Facebook, both of those days are filled with people posting pictures of them and their parents and going on and on about how wonderful they are and how much they love them. I find it to pretty much be the same thing as Valentine's Day, just with family instead of an OH.

What I dislike about Valentine's Day is when it's like a drama trying to find a valentine and people go on and on about "being alone on valentine's day". You don't need someone to spend Valentine's Day with, it's celebrating love and that can be with your significant other, your family, or your friends.

I'm not celebrating Valentine's Day though... It's not that I don't ever, it's just that it's not all that important to us and we're getting married in less than 2 months, so all of our focus is on that.

We became a couple on the 13th of Feb (coincidentally) so we put more emphasis on that date, my boyfriend will probably buy me a CD, a card and a rose, but only because he started it the first valentines we were together as I had just miscarried and I was really down, so it was more just a cheer up present than for valentines day.
We always agree not to do anything and then he gets a hard time at work so usually picks me up a little minding. I will probably make him a nice dinner tonight and we will snug up and watch tv.
We do these little gestures throughout the year too, so it literally is just another day.

I can understand what you're saying, but then would it be the same for mothers/fathers day for you? On Facebook, both of those days are filled with people posting pictures of them and their parents and going on and on about how wonderful they are and how much they love them. I find it to pretty much be the same thing as Valentine's Day, just with family instead of an OH.

What I dislike about Valentine's Day is when it's like a drama trying to find a valentine and people go on and on about "being alone on valentine's day". You don't need someone to spend Valentine's Day with, it's celebrating love and that can be with your significant other, your family, or your friends.

I'm not celebrating Valentine's Day though... It's not that I don't ever, it's just that it's not all that important to us and we're getting married in less than 2 months, so all of our focus is on that.

Tbh, I think what annoys me is that it's not about love to most people these days. Like you say, people get stressed about "finding a valentine", but that isn't love, that's just finding someone so you can say you have them for one day a year! A mother is always a mother, you don't pick a new one every year like some people do with partners. It might all sound very cynical of me. But I've never been in a long term relationship over valentines day till me and my OH got together so I've never felt the need to declare my love to someone who... well that I don't love... for the sake of a day.
Does any of that make sense?! Basically I understand couplea who have been together a while and do truly love each other celebrating it. But when it's people who have been together 5mins, it all just seems a bit silly.

I don't think it's a big deal, but yeah, we celebrate. I got him a Mickey Mouse Chicago shirt, he got me my favorite chocolates at Sees. We will be going to a hibachi place tomorrow to avoid the crowds. We *officially* got engaged on February 16th (though we were unofficially engaged since about date 3 or so haha) so it's kind of special.

We sort of do, but we get each other little treats throughout the year anyway. Although this year we said we weren't going to bother, he bought me roses and a DVD off us to watch. And obviously I didn't get him anything lol!

And he's paying for Chinese takeaway tonight :D I'm starving so I can't wait to scoff it!!

We dont make a big deal of it usually just a card and thats about it, but this year I got in from work to find a dozen red roses had been delivered and he'd done the washing up for me! (V. Unusual!) :D plus we are going to see Dirty Dancing at our local cinema (but thats more as its a one chance thing and not a valentines thing - how often do ya get the chance to see it on the big screen?!)
I'm not really for or against - as my hubby said, we dont need a specific day for society to tell us to declare our Love for each other (but it is nice if he surprises me!)
Live and let live, enjoy your evenings ladies! :)

We dont make a big deal of it usually just a card and thats about it, but this year I got in from work to find a dozen red roses had been delivered and he'd done the washing up for me! (V. Unusual!) :D plus we are going to see Dirty Dancing at our local cinema (but thats more as its a one chance thing and not a valentines thing - how often do ya get the chance to see it on the big screen?!)
I'm not really for or against - as my hubby said, we dont need a specific day for society to tell us to declare our Love for each other (but it is nice if he surprises me!)

Omg so jealous I would love to see it in the cinema!

not really, I think maybe the first 2 valentines days we spent together we exchanged small gifts...like candy & a teddy bear. no jewelry or expensive gifts.

I think the only holiday we really buy gifts for is christmas. We arent big on anniversaries or even birthdays really. BUt in 2013 we didnt do any holidays! it was a rough year financially.

It was awesome! (Even caught hubby smiling and laughing! ;) )
AND we watched Bridget Jones Diary when we got home - dunno what happened to my hubbuy last night! (Though prob means i've used my quota of romance for the year! ) ;)

It was awesome! (Even caught hubby smiling and laughing! ;) )
AND we watched Bridget Jones Diary when we got home - dunno what happened to my hubbuy last night! (Though prob means i've used my quota of romance for the year! ) ;)

Haha glad you had a nice time :)

Wee update - for the first year since we met, I didn't even get a card! Oh well!

Thanks for all the replies ladies :) it's interesting to hear other people's Valentines traditions and opinions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->