Do you drive?

ive only just passed my test (aged 26) and so relieved to finally be driving. such a hassle getting to and from work before, and shopping etc. i couldnt do without the car now x

No, i dont drive and neither does OH. He has a bike though to get to work as we live in a teeny village with no shop or anything. Bus to town is 45 minute bus ride. I manage to live here because my mum and whole family live in the same village. Otherwise it would be impossible. We actually have a car, as of last week. So need to get one of us driving. Its just so expensive, finding an extra £100 for insurence is Mega!

oh goodness yes! i'd be totally lost without it, driving gives you imo such a sense of freedom! i passed at 18, after learning from 17, so been driving over 8 years now. hubby drives too, passed months apart! we live in a village and it would be a nightmare getting anywhere without driving i'd imagine!

Yes I can drive,would be lost without our car,I hate it when our car goes for mot that hour without the car is a killer for me

I don't drive, I've tried learning but there's just nobody who has time to spare to teach me and I can't afford lessons, so my learner license is about to expire and I'm going to let it :(

I've been driving for almost 5 years and I don't think I could manage without my car now. Especially now that I have LO and have to drop him off at childminders for work etc xx

I don't have a licence.

For me it's confidence. I've taken my test 5 times and failed all of them when it came to parking up at the end of the test because I just want it over and done with.

Also I'm just use to public transport and due to having very little money. I don't think I could keep up with the keeping of a car.

I'll probably be back on this thread in a few months time saying I NEED to drive once Isaac is home from NICU with all the carting around on buses and less hands freedom when I'm pushing a pram and juggling the shopping!

yes i drive passed at 19! so glad i did it before having a baby!

i could probably live without a car but wouldnt want to lol x

Yep. I need to drive where I live, so it's a need rather than a want! I prefer DH to do the long motorway drives, but I do all the local pootling!

I drive and I would never give up my car, I don't know how peope cope without one!

But to be honest it's hardly left the drive since I went on mat leave... no where to go that I can't walk to.

I can't drive; I'm a bit dyspraxic so struggle with anything that involves 'multitasking'. My OH really worries and wants me to learn to drive but ATM my heart just isn't in it. For some reason people in my immediate family really struggle with learning to drive anyway; my dad finally passed his test aged 35, my mum cannot drive, and only one of my sisters can drive-she passed her test aged 37 or 38 after many attempts and she can only drive automatics xx

I am dyspraxia and I have really struggled with my lessons. Gave up manual and I have been learning automatics for 6mths and now I am test ready. My instructor specializes in nervous and disabled pupils so he is brilliant. It is worth finding a decent instructor. :hugs:

Just a question though. What would you all class as an "unwalkable distance" because I would say up to 4miles is walkable daily.

I've been driving for 3 years now and there's noway i could imagine not having a car now! i rely on it way to much x

I can drive and passed my test first time.... but i dont...........i passed my test whilst 8 months pregnant with my eldest daughter and had two near crashes with her as a baby in the back of the car mixed with a hubby who didnt help my confidence, shattered my confidence completely and i became a nervous reck everytime i drove anywhere so much so i just stopped completely...........i dont miss it at all.....i hate it........ maybe when i feel i want to i will have some refresher lessons and get back into it but at the moment theres not a bone in my body that wants x

I can but really don't need a car (or can afford one) I live in the middle of Glasgow city centre and the public transport is excellent and parking is a nightmare. All of my sisters and most of my friends drive (Charlie has 4 car seats in different cars) so if I really need a lift somewhere I always have one :) It would definitely be a waste of money for me :flow:

Yes I drive.. I'm lost when I don't have the car if OH has it for work :(

yes i drive, i passed in july and i hate driving, hate hate hate it!
i'm hoping the whole fear thing gets better the longer i'm passed but i avoid driving if i can which is not normal i dont think :haha:

there wasn't a real need for me to drive i.e i live on a good bus route town is 10 minutes away on a bus that comes every 10 mins, my mums round corner, other family are 15 minutes on the bus the opposite way!

the only reason i got a license and a car was so i can go to college and take my daughter to nursery without bothering messing about on buses! its a real godsend that because without it i wouldn't be able to go carry my education on :flower:

I do, I would totally be lost with out it! I turned 17 on 17th April 2007, bought my car, passed my theory, 4 weeks later (15th May) I passed my test! :happydance::yipee:

Technically I don't drive, because I don't have a license, but I'm learning and about to take my test.

I am 27, and watched all of my friends get driving lessons and cars all given to them by their parents, but that was never something my parents could do for me, so I never learned. And all of my jobs (even working 3 jobs at a time) never could pay for lessons, so I had no choice but to live without a car.

I managed on public transport - which in my area turned out to be way more expensive than owning and running a car :wacko: - for years. I hated it, and I hated relying on stupid bus/train services that were always delayed, but I had no option.

Now we live somewhere so small you really don't need a car, and you can walk everywhere. That doesn't mean people do, because in reality they're lazy, but the entire country is 3 square miles. I think that's pretty walkable! People saw me in the street walking miles every day when I was about to pop with my first daughter, and they thouht I was insane "walking so much" (about 3 or 4 miles daily), but I was just bored and I didn't have a license.

But it's not practical to have two small children and be a SAHM and not be able to drive. What if I need to do the supermarket shop when OH is working? Am I supposed to battle with a double buggy on the bus, plus shopping? Or ask my MIL to take me? And what if I need to go shopping over the border in Spain for something? Or what if the kids need to get to nursery/school and we're running late? Or hospital?

We still can't afford to get me a car, and my OH doesn't want me driving his because it's a 2L and "too big" (whatever), so when I pass I won't be able to drive anywhere, but if there's an emergency, at least I know I can drive if I need to.

OH and I both have licences but we don't have a car as we live in London. When we went to South Africa 2 years ago we hired a car and drove the garden route. It was the first time OH had driven in 8 years and the first time I had driven in 12 years!!! We didn't have any accidents luckily! OH has never owned a car but I had one when I was younger and didn't live in London. Last Christmas we hired one to visit parents etc up North but this year we are taking the train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"