• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Do you follow all of the dr's advice?

whit.

Mommy of 2!
Reaction score
Just curious. Sophia just got back from her doctors appointment and she weighs 13.4lbs and is 23.5 inches long. He said her weight gain is perfect but to start her on rice cereal in a few weeks? She's not even 4 months old yet! I'm strongly leaning towards not feeding her any until she's 5.5-6 months old.

What's your opinion? I'm not trying to start a debate but I haven't REALLY done any research, just from reading on here it seems to be best to wait.

Do you always follow your pedi's advice? =/

I wouldn't follow that advice!!
Just keep going till 5.5/6 months like you intend to.

Edit: The research says it's best to wean at/around 6 months.. I don't see a reason to wean before unless medically needed.

That was my thinking. I don't see why he told me to do it if her weight gain is just fine?

Are you in the US? They recommend between 4-6 months, but almost all pediatricians push it at the 4 month checkup.

No I personally don't follow any advice a doctor gives me.. and if I do, I'd always do my own research on it first :haha:
I personally believe doctors are just people too, nothing special about it. If you have the internet and are able to do a little research yourself, you can for sure make your own decisions etc.

And no I wouldn't give my kid any solids until closer to 6 months. (no matter the weight)

I wouldn't follow that advice!!
Just keep going till 5.5/6 months like you intend to.

Edit: The research says it's best to wean at/around 6 months.. I don't see a reason to wean before unless medically needed.

Agree :thumbup:

I haven't followed my doctors advice :lol:
She said I should formula feed because Isla was feeding every 2 hours...
I don't think I'd follow that advice either without doing my own research :)

I always try and research any advice doctors/nurses give me as they've made mistakes in the past.

Oh heck no.

Mine said my boy needed rice cereal at 6 weeks (he told my mom the same for me, just goes to show you that this guy had a serious case of OLD)

A lot of doctors don't keep up with research.

Use your sense along with the advice - we tend to be one of 1000's and they are human too.

Nope , but I havnt had my kids near my doc but my hv is someone I dont listen to either with her baby training type approach and opinions I dont agree with.

Did you ask your Dr why they thought weaning should be done soon? If you were thinking about it I would do research to see what you think, as there's so many differing views on it (and everything else to do with babies!)

Never been to a pediatrician, and no I don't follow most of my GP's advice about anything. All he ever wants to do is give pills.

He said she's probably going to start acting 'hungrier' and I should start giving her rice to fill her up.

I don't think I'm going to. I'm going to do my own research, I just haven't yet because I didn't think I would need to do it for another month or so. :haha:

I just wanted to see what everyone elses thoughts were about listening to the docs. I don't know why they push for weaning so much earlier in the states than abroad. If she gets hungrier I figured I'd just give her more formula like I have in the past? Just upping oz's?

(Everytime I have to make a comment about formula feeding her it makes me so sad. :()

No I personally don't follow any advice a doctor gives me.. and if I do, I'd always do my own research on it first :haha:
I personally believe doctors are just people too, nothing special about it. If you have the internet and are able to do a little research yourself, you can for sure make your own decisions etc.

And no I wouldn't give my kid any solids until closer to 6 months. (no matter the weight)

100% Agree!

Never been to a pediatrician, and no I don't follow most of my GP's advice about anything. All he ever wants to do is give pills.

Sophia has eczema break outs on her cheek and her forehead that I've been taking care of with natural eczema cream and he said if it gets a little worse he would give her some steroid cream. :dohh:

If the eczema natural cream is working I don't think I want to use the steroid cream.

I totally don't get the push to start early from doctors/people...I don't care if people need to for whatever reason...but the reasoning never makes sense to me. Because babies are big they should be eating more?? I'm overweight...I can guarantee you no one has EVER looked at me and said, Hey you look like you need more food! lol My LO is perfectly happy with just BM and she will not be weaned until 6 months...I don't see a need for it tbh

That's what I don't understand. I can see if she needed to because it was medically needed. Reflux, Not putting on weight at all, but he said her weight was perfect! (She's actually a little chunky on her legs, love it) So, why would I add in extra that she doesn't really need? I feed on demand and she sleeps through the night. (If she woke through the night I would feed her, too) -but she doesn't so obviously if she's going 10-12 hours then she must be getting enough through the day since she's putting weight on?

I'm not judging parents who have done it, my sister started weaning at about 4.5/5 months because her dr told her to & she's the kind of person who does something just because the dr says. (Love her - haha)

I guess I just don't see a point?

That's what I don't understand. I can see if she needed to because it was medically needed. Reflux, Not putting on weight at all, but he said her weight was perfect! (She's actually a little chunky on her legs, love it) So, why would I add in extra that she doesn't really need? I feed on demand and she sleeps through the night. (If she woke through the night I would feed her, too) -but she doesn't so obviously if she's going 10-12 hours then she must be getting enough through the day since she's putting weight on?

I'm not judging parents who have done it, my sister started weaning at about 4.5/5 months because her dr told her to & she's the kind of person who does something just because the dr says. (Love her - haha)

I guess I just don't see a point?

Even if the weightgain wasn't as much as desired, formula/breastmilk contains soooooo much more calories than normal stodgy food. By feeding a baby other things, they might end up taking less milk, which isn't going to help the issue then.

I don't blindly ever take advice from anyone, I listen to it, research and decide based on our own very personal situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"