do you give to charity?

MummyMummy

Reaction score
we don't do anything like they ask for on the tv like eg. the £2 a month sign up type things, though if we are out and walk past somebody collecting more often than not we will give our 3year old 'pen pens' to put in.we donate things to chairty shops too.

i probally sound terrible and so selfish but you hear so many stories about how the money you donate never actually goes to the people it goes on paying admin/advertising/salary expenses etc etc that i just don't bother. if i knew for a fact my £24 a year would be going straight to people that need it i'd be more inclined. kwim?

xXx

I donate to the wwf for the orangutans, only coz I think they are super gorgeous, not a lot but i send a bit every year, and i occasionally go have a look in a charity shop, but i find it annoying when ppl call round to your house and ask for donations! x

At work we have those charity boxes that sell bags of sweeties for £1 ... so yes, i give lots to charity :rofl:

i donate all my old clothes and bit and bob i dont want/need anymore but i dont give a set ammount every month. I will put my pennies in a jar if i get change in a shop and theres one next to the till :) lol

We give to SANDS obviously a charity that is really close to our heart, but also because there are very very few people actually employed by them, 99% are volunteers. It makes me cross that these charities ask for money yet have what they call 'street fundraisers' (you know the people who wont leave you alone in the high street), and in London it is advertised in the job sections week in week out for £9.00 to £15.00 an hour. Grrrr.

i dont give to charity only because i know exactly where alot of the money goes...and it isnt to the cause :-( i was a manager for scope (people with cerebal palsy) and out of all the money we raised, staff wages were paid out, functions with higher managment, shop lease and site, £40 per year given to all shop managers to buy food and drink for all the volunteers....the list goes on.....

also i use to work in connection with comic relief where they hold all the dinner parties and balls....alot of the money raised went to the people raising it...make sense??? i think not...its a CON!!!

Charity wise the boxes of sweets etc that we have are for a small local hospice so i know the money isnt going to some big scam.

I think we live in sad times when "charity" isnt actually for charity anymore

We now have a DD set up for the charity where we got Dogbert from and that will just run forever at £10 a month.

OH gives to PETA and Surfers Against Sewage too.

I sponsor friends who do the walks for Cancer etc and ALWAYS give to the Poppy Appeal.

Other than that no, I dont do Red Nose Day or the adverts on TV or anything.

xx

I work for a charity and I think it's important to remember that (certainly with the smaller charities, less so the big ones) by contributing to someone's salary or to volunteer expenses is vital to providing a service for people. My charity doesn't give money to people, we offer them a service and to do that we have to pay rent, lighting, heating, phone bills, internet, volunteer expenses, salaries etc etc. It doesn't mean that we don't provide a bloody good service to people, it enables us to.

I work for a charity and I think it's important to remember that (certainly with the smaller charities, less so the big ones) by contributing to someone's salary or to volunteer expenses is vital to providing a service for people. My charity doesn't give money to people, we offer them a service and to do that we have to pay rent, lighting, heating, phone bills, internet, volunteer expenses, salaries etc etc. It doesn't mean that we don't provide a bloody good service to people, it enables us to.

i do disagree but each to their own i suppose, it kinda defeats the object of a charity xxx

But how would a charity work without having money to pay for the overheads etc?

But how would a charity work without having money to pay for the overheads etc?

im wasnt disputing that BUT there are to many unnessary payments/functions that are paid out and you only then have around 10% of all monies going towards the charity itself xx

I completely agree that it's wrong for only 10% of the money to go to the service provided, but you will find that this is not usually the case with the smaller charities. Many of them have only a few staff that put in a lot more hours than they're actually paid for.

I completely agree that it's wrong for only 10% of the money to go to the service provided, but you will find that this is not usually the case with the smaller charities. Many of them have only a few staff that put in a lot more hours than they're actually paid for.

I totally agree with this, you usually find the bigger the charity the less money actually goes to where it should be. People become employed for the wages not cos of they care, iykwim? Whereas small charities the workers are usually on minimum wage, long hours they dont get paid for, and actually care about the cause.

Thats why I donate to a small charity

I'm a member of the RSPB and I used to be a recruiter for the National Trust for Scotland (Not the English one...totally different entity). I work for a small volunteer led museum now and donations to us go purely to keep us going, pay the electricity bills, etc. I'm a fund-raiser so I apply to grant aid and apply for large donations from government etc, so I suppose the donations, pay for me, to enable me to apply for more money, to make the museum bigger and so the circle goes on.

What I really have a problem with is big charities etc when the CEO is on £1m a year. i'm on just over minimum wage, and if I earnt any more I would feel so guilty about it. I donate and buy in charity shops, I got my dog from the dogs trust and always buuy tickets for their raffle. I give to Christian Aid when their envelope drops through my door. I believe it's important to give something back...even if it's only a few loose coppers, they may make all the difference....My job has taught me that.

We donate £10 per week to sheffield hospital it comes out of karls wage every week :happydance:
we do this cos they saved my life wen i was a baby and also its the hospital that does all the kidney tests on sam :happydance:
We also take old toys and stuff we dont need anymore to the charity shops x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->