Do you give your 9 mth old cheerios?

honeygrl

Reaction score
I have been letting Beau feed himself cheerios since 8 1/2 mths and he hasn't had any problems at all with it but his pediatrician fussed at me for it and said it was way too early. I really think she's full of crap and has no idea what she's talking about but was wondering if I started earlier than other people normally do. I also started letting him have baby goldfish crackers a few weeks ago which I thought was going to give the poor doctor a heart attack. lol She went on and on about how he will choke on them even though he's been fine with them and loves them. I feed the goldfish in moderation because they have more sodium in them but I let him have cheerios as much as he wants because they are a healthy snack.

His pediatrician is starting to really annoy me with her parenting ideas. She clearly has no children and constantly says really dumb things. Last visit Beau had an ear infection and I asked if she would give me some numbing drops for his ears to help until the antibiotics kicked in.. her answer: "Well, I really don't like to prescribe those because then you can't tell when their ears hurt." Well DUH! I thought the point was to stop their ears from hurting! Then she puts him on an antibiotic that I am horribly allergic to. Anytime the stuff accidentally gets on my fingers my skin peels and feel like a burned it but when I told her this and asked for something different I get "I don't like to use any other antibiotics unless this one doesn't work." Yaknow, I really don't care at all what she LIKES to do. I don't LIKE to take my son to her but I do because his normal doctor is on maternity leave and no one else is taking new patients!

Imogen has had them since 6 months :)

over in the uk cheerios have alot of sugar in but ive heard the us version are ok so yea id give them to River

Oh and she also told me not to give him the new stage 2 formulas that are out now for babies 9-36mths because "they don't have as much calcium as regular infant formula." I looked on the bottle and the stuff has MORE than TWICE the calcium!! How does someone become a doctor when they seem to have absolutely no clue what they are talking about?

over in the uk cheerios have alot of sugar in but ive heard the us version are ok so yea id give them to River

The plain cheerios here don't have much sugar.. in fact I'm not sure if they have any. They also have a ton of new varieties now like banana nut, fruit flavored, yogurt coated, apple cinnamon, cinnamon burst, and multigrain. They have chocolate too but I am holding off on that one until after he's a year because for some reason I was thinking chocolate is one of those things that is supposed to wait.

Imogen has had them since 6 months :)

Wow that's awesome that she could chew them so young!! I was terrified to try them at first and made the little guy wait until I was absolutely certain he could handle them. Now he cries and tries to get them out of the pantry himself if I don't give them to him when he wants them.

The plain cheerios here don't have much sugar.. in fact I'm not sure if they have any. They also have a ton of new varieties now like banana nut, fruit flavored, yogurt coated, apple cinnamon, cinnamon burst, and multigrain. They have chocolate too but I am holding off on that one until after he's a year because for some reason I was thinking chocolate is one of those things that is supposed to wait.

You have yoghurt coated cheerios :shock: Why does the States have all the best flavours?!

You have yoghurt coated cheerios :shock: Why does the States have all the best flavours?!

Because we have to be tricked into eating anything good for us!

I wouldn't, but only because of the choking hazard. My LO puts the entire thing in her mouth if she can, and then she ends up gagging or throwing up because she can't chew it, so I stick to bigger things she has to bite apart, and she's normally okay with that. I say if your LO manages fine with them, then give them it. Just watch out for the sugar content of some cereals

I give Evie cheerios that have been pre soaked in milk so they are softer

Tom loves cheerios and started having them as part of his breakfast at around 10 months. He has a very small handful of which he eats maybe half.

They have got some sugar in but are no worse than normal cornflakes or rice crispies. When I had his 10-12 month developmental check, the community nurse recommended them as healthy snack as they are wholegrain and no where near as full of rubbish as lots of children's prepacked snacks.

My LO has them and LOVES them. I pre-soak them in EBM. She also has shreddies which I do the same with.

Oh and she also told me not to give him the new stage 2 formulas that are out now for babies 9-36mths because "they don't have as much calcium as regular infant formula." I looked on the bottle and the stuff has MORE than TWICE the calcium!! How does someone become a doctor when they seem to have absolutely no clue what they are talking about?

I was curious whether we had stage 2 formula or not and couldn't find any. What brand is that and where did you find it?

Daisy has them just how they are and she loves them :) x

I was curious whether we had stage 2 formula or not and couldn't find any. What brand is that and where did you find it?

I found it at Walmart.. Similac and Enfamil both make infant/toddler stage formula and walmart's Parent's Choice brand also has it. Enfamil's version says 10-36mths but Similac and Parent's Choice says 9-36mths. I think it may only be in the powder form, not sure. It's also less than half the price of infant formula. Here a regular size can of the brand name infant formula is about $15 but a DOUBLE size can of the infant/toddler stage formula is $12-$16. I compared the nutrient info on them and the infant/toddler has more of all but one or two things so I think it may be better for babies who are already on the move and using more energy than an infant. Beau has been crawling since 6mths and is very close to walking on his own now so it seems appropriate.

Not cheerios because we don't buy them, but Gabriel has been happily eating oyster crackers since 6 months. We did BLW so he quickly learned how to chew them and not gag.

yes i have done from younger than 9 months, i put them in milk first tho so they are a bit soft, but not much. although she prefers shreddies/mini wheatabix/raisin wheats.

Ronan gets them on occasion and has for quite some time. as someone else said, they're low in sugar here in the US, and they're great early finger foods for developing pincer grips because they're small, easy to pick up, quickly dissolving, and extremely difficult to choke on because they have a hole in the middle!

To the OP, sorry you have to deal with the pediatrician you have right now. Hopefully you can get a new one sooner rather than later.

Earl will eat anything - and I mean anything!

He loves cheerios, and shreddies, and corn flakes, and weetabix, and anything else in the cereal aisle! lol

As far as I'm concerned it's a matter of balance! He has fruit and veg, home cooked meals, water, milk and fruit juice, so a few biscuits, crisps and cereal bites as snacks are not going to hurt - his favourite is shreddies dry with his bedtime bottle!

Earl was offered finger foods from the moment we weaned him at 17 weeks (he was grabbing at food and quite happily eating it from 15 weeks so we held off until the Dr signed us off) and he would have cereals from 6 months when he could have the gluten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->