• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Do you give your babies vitamin drops?

bumpy_j

Reaction score
Hi!

I have the River Cottage Baby and Toddler cookbook and it talks about giving babies vitamin drops - which I've never heard of. How do people feel about extra supplements? As i'm BLWing somedays he just doesn't eat very much at all so I'm sort of thinking it's a good idea. Any thoughts would be welcome, thanks :flower:

My HV told me that I should as I told her that my son wasn't eating meat and fish yet when he had just turned 6 months and I had literally just started weaning him. She said by 6 months he should be on three meals a day and eating everything :roll:
Anyway, the woman is a loony, but she did freak me out so much that I went and bought some baby and toddler vitamins and have given them a few times to both my kids, I figured it wouldn't do them any harm.

I give mine drops too as he was finnicky with his food and still is. Are you FF or BF? From what I can gather there is some merit to giving them if you are BF and not eating much solids. However FF contains lot of vitamins anyway :) Oh! Just spotted your ticker! Yes I think give them, they wont do any harm xx

New guidelines say that FF babies over 6 months old and having less than 500ml of formula per day should have them also; though from my understanding its a bit of a blanket recommendation for both BF and FF as some children will need vitamin drops more than others. I do give them to my son but only started at 9 months, I give the abidec drops; they do contain peanut oil but hes had peanut butter and various other ground peanut containing foods before and been fine so I wasn't worried. I did try other brands before but many require you to get a teaspoon or more of the vitamins into them; which isn't easy when most vitamin drops/syrups don't taste too great. The abidec one is either 0.3ml or 0.6ml depending on age xx

Only vitamin D drops. She is bf and its recommended bf babies have it. Formula has vit d so no supplementation extra is needed for ff babies

In the UK its only recommended to give vit D from 6 months unless your baby was premature or mum was found to be deficient during pregnancy; research here has shown in the first six months its better to supplement the mum-interestingly some of the studies the UK government used to decide this are the same used by US authorities to promote vit D supplementation of babies. Babies are born with a certain amount of stores of vit D as well. Formula does have vit D but if an older baby is taking less than 500ml a day then they may not be getting enough xx

I had Vitamin K drops to give LO (wasn't that good at remembering to give it tbh) as I was BF.

Never heard of giving Vitamin D drops.....both were prem as well. (Not saying it's wrong btw, just it was never mentioned to me that's all)

I give her D drops as there is no sun here, exspecially during the winter when the sun rises at noon, and goes down two hours later. Got to love that.

We have to give them it from 2 weeks old till they are a few years old.

we started giving them alexa but then held off but now we are weening her and she will be going on to follow on milk in a few weeks we will probs start them up again as she isnt to keen on fishy or meaty dishes yet

I was told that bf babies usually need drops after 6 months as their iron levels start to deplete - I don't know how outdated that advice is though. I don't give Holly vitamin drops because she is FF and still has 21oz of formula a day. I have to give her more than 500ml of formula because she has CMPI so doesn't have dairy, her dietician has said her milk intake is fine even though most babies her age are only on 2 bottles a day.

Most vitamin drops don't contain iron though and the latest advice is to supplement with A, C and D, iron isn't included in this xx

Most vitamin drops don't contain iron though and the latest advice is to supplement with A, C and D, iron isn't included in this xx

i got the vit a, c and d drops from my hv when lo was one month old and told to start using them straight away. they are free under the healthy start scheme. i never used them but just started now my lo is 6 months and is only having around 18oz of formula a day on a very good day x

My LO is on Dalivit multi vitamin drop and has been since birth as he was premature.

He is also on iron too.

We have been told to give him the vitamin drops untill he is 12-18 months and the iron untill he is fully weaned at 6-12 months.

I cant see the harm in term babies having vitamin supplements. It can only do them some good. It smells awful but i mix it in with a tiny bit of milk then give him his normal milk immediatly after so he can take the taste away. It smells like marmite!!

I went on weaning course this week and they gave us the NHS guidelines and stated that all babies whether breastfed or formula fed should have vitamin drops from 6 months. Vitamin D was the particularly important one they mentioned

My HV recommended vitamin drops when I was worried about Ryan's milk intake. Also at his 10-12mth review that he had on friday, the HV said they recommend them for all babies when they change onto cows milk at 12mths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"