Do you have low iron levels?

mummySS

Mum of 2!
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I have been feeling EXHAUSTED lately and a few people have suggested it might be down to a low iron count. Just wondered if any of you have been diagnosed with this, and whether the MW/doc will tell you automatically after a routine blood test, or if you have to have a separate blood test to check for it?

And do you just remedy it with iron supplements? Do they work?

Thanks for any advice!
xx

Hiya :flower:

I had low iron both times. It was picked up when they took the blood tests at my booking appointment. I was then asked to go to hospital to re-check part of it (apparently your iron levels are made up of 2 parts - haemaglobin (sp?) and the iron 'stores', but I've forgotten the name of the 'stores')

To get my levels up I took Spatone (liquid iron in sachets from Boots or Asda) and I had lots of beef casseroles with lentils in. I read somewhere that having lentils with red meat really boosts your iron intake. Also, drink orange juice with meals as the vitamin c helps absorb the iron.

I can't really remember everything else, but the midwife may give you a diet sheet with all iron rich foods on.
xx

Hi ladies, I have been feeling EXHAUSTED lately and a few people have suggested it might be down to a low iron count. Just wondered if any of you have been diagnosed with this, and whether the MW/doc will tell you automatically after a routine blood test, or if you have to have a separate blood test to check for it?

And do you just remedy it with iron supplements? Do they work?

Thanks for any advice!
xx

yeah signs are tiredness exhaustion generally. you may need a seperate blood test and they will give you iron tablets whidch will work but may bung you up butt wise!! lol mindyou sometimes different makes of iron tablets can help change that.

please get it sorted as when i was 30 or 31 weeks with my first i went into early labour and they found my blood levels had gone so low from about 10. what ever to 6.4 which is severly low and i was given a transfusion. they are not saying its related by any means but i found the transfusion painful as i reacted to the second bag of blood.

hth.x

stores are called ferratin but even if they are high and your haemoglobin is low you may still need iron tablets but it depends on your care.. i am a thalasemia carrier which means that mine are generally low but i know a bit about the iron stuff from having dealt with it all my life plus with my last pregnancy and this one.

also if in 3rd trimester you are low they will want it up because if you lose blood at birth it can be dangerous for you.

sorry hope im not scaring you i just want you to know everything i do so you're informed because when they explained all to me i freaked! xx

Hiya just tri hopping here, I had low iron levels but the midwive wouldn't put me on iron tablets so told me to eat iron rich foods. When it came to the birth I lost a lot of blood well over a litre and had to have two transfusions. I'm now on iron tablets for 6 months and have to go for bblood tests to check it's back up

If you are extremely tired do ask your midwive for a test as you want to avoid losing too much blood. I don't want to scare you either just trying to help :flower:

The only thing I will say with iron tablets is no one warned me your poop goes black! Seriously got freaked out :haha: good luck xxx

Thanks nikkip, no don't worry about scaring me, i'd much rather be prepared for it and get it checked out. huge thanks :flower:

Haha thanks krissy not looking forward to this black/bunged up poo lol!
xx

It went to my doctor 2 weeks ago because of a 3 day migraine, and she pulled the bottom of my eyelid down and said, your not anaemic. I wondered how she could tell without a blood test? Sorry this is O/T! xxx

Strange mamamay - perhaps because of the colour?!

My ferritin levels were high!! But i was still exhausted up till about a week ago! Going to get second test on tuesday but I've never heard of anyone pregnant with high ferritin (iron reserve) levels! Low is so common....i just want to know that me and the babs will be ok if they stay high

I do. I'm on iron tablets. I still feel tired all the time though :(

Pulling your eyelid down is a really good indicator of low iron levels. Instead of a healthy red colour, the skin will look a light pink colour, and will prompt further investigation.

your welcome mummyss

yeah the eyelid thing is normal. also yes my ferratin levels are normal but my haemoglobin is low and thats why im on iron tablets. im sure high ferratin levels arent a bad but check with the midwife to be sure. my ferratin levels are generally good but still get put on iron tablets despite eating red meat (love it ) and broccoli and other iron rich foods. they say to drink orange juice as vitamin c helps your body absorb more iron.

you could try floradix too (from health food shops) for iron there are different types do double check. with this you can put it in a drink or food to help with the taste.

I do. I'm on iron tablets. I still feel tired all the time though :(

Me too :( I think mine may have dropped even more because I've started to go dizzy again on a night too :/ il just mention it to mw at my next appointment i thinks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->