Do you think it's worth asking for a homebirth kit?

Greta Chick

Happy mum of 3 :-)
Reaction score
Hi

It's been in our local paper that the birth centre (JBC) I'm booked in at is under review and could well be closing in April next year:cry:. That obviously won't affect me, but what may is the fact it has already closed 66 times this year due to staff sickness/shortages!:nope:

I went there with DD and was only there 45 minutes before she was born as I didn't believe I was in real labour and only went "to see if I really was in labour or not." I was 5-6cm dilated when I got there, I got in the pool after about half an hour and she was born 15 minutes later:-k

I spoke with hubby about the fact that JBC has closed so many times and has had to turn some women away and he isn't keen on a homebirth (he wasn't when I mentioned it at the beginning of pregnancy):wacko:. I explained that there's nothing that can be done at JBC that can't be done at home by the midwife as there isn't anything more there than she'd bring with her (apart from a pool but I could get one of those). I'm really *not* going to the main maternity hospital unless my baby's or my life is at risk, I totally refuse and would much rather be at home than go there. Hubby knows this but as he's never seen a home birth or knows anyone who's had one he's unsure and anxious about it.

I saw the midwife last week and she wants me to go to the GP next week then to the birth centre for my appointment 2 weeks after that (when I'll be 36 weeks). I don't know whether to ring the midwives up or wait until my JBC appointment to ask for their thoughts.......

I'm going to be doing hypnotherapy this time and hopefully I'll be really relaxed so I'm worried that a) I may not realise I'm in proper labour or b) baby will come so quickly that I don't make it to the birth centre, or c) when hubby rings to say we're coming in to JBC they're closed and they try and make me go to the maternity hospital! Any of those things happen and hubby will be delivering baby himself - which he absolutely does not want to do!!!!:nope:

What do you think ladies please?

xx

You do sound like the perfect home birther to me BUT at the end of the day you have to feel comfortable with that and ideally so does OH! I know the issues at JBC too. I know it's been a factor in other women local to you choosing to have a planned home birth rather than find JBC closed, unlikely as that is - but it's still a consideration.

It's probably a good idea given how quick and easy your labours sound to be to at least look in to home birth a little deeper. x

I think I'll give the community midwives a ring tomorrow and see what they advise. I'd be happy with a homebirth, JBC was the compromise as hubby didn't like the idea of a homebirth and there was no way either of us wanted to go to W&C.

Thank you, I'll post their thoughts tomorrow night if I can get through to them.

xx

You still have lots of time so dont feel under any pressure at all xx

I'm in a similar situation but I'm now facing the opposite decision, considering asking about the plausibility of changing from home birth to birth centre if I can get into it. I also have very fast labours and don't feel sure I'm actually in labour. I wish you the best of luck and I think whatever you feel most comfy with is best, it's a shame they are closing your local birth centre here in London they only started opening some in the past 5 years or so.

Thank you ladies.

I didn't manage to ring the mws today but need to arrange my 36 week appointment with the birth centre midwives so will hopefully speak to them tomorrow and ask their opinion.

I spoke to hubby about it again tonight, me going to ask about having an emergency homebirth kit. His first reaction was "we're not having it at home!" When I said that we might not get there in time coz we were only at the birth centre 45 minutes last time he said "we'll get there!" Then I said what if it's closed and they tell us to go to the maternity hospital? He said "we'll have to go there then." to which I replied "I'm not going there, no way, not a chance!" I then said we'd be safer at home with a midwife than we would be at W&C and he said what if a midwife won't come out. I said if I book a homebirth they have to come out, there are plenty of community midwives in our area (there's actually a team based about a 2 minute car drive away). He went quiet then and didn't say anything else, so I'll ask the midwives and see what they say. If they're keen the might even come round and speak to hubby about it to calm him down about the possibility of having a homebirth if we can't go to the birth centre.

One of my friends is a midwife but although she lives 5 minutes away she works in a town an hour away so may not be available for help lol.

xx

My MW set aside some time to talk to my OH as he was a bit nervous about us having a HB with my 3rd. It was really useful. It's funny because we had some friends round who are expecting their first baby and he was really bigging up homebirth to them!

Lol, I'll update what happens when I've spoken to them and see if they can arrange some time to speak to hubby.

xx

We just got the last appointment of her clinic so we could have a little extra time so perhaps you could suggest that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->