Do your gums hurt??

Melsue129

Reaction score
I woke up today and my teeth and gums hurt!! Does anyone else have this symptom?

Mines don't hurt as such it my gums have been bleeding a tonne. This morning it wouldn't stop for about 10 minutes!

It is a normal symptom, but make sure you are brushing at least twice and FLOSS!! People never do it. I floss every day and pregnant, or not pregnant, I never have sore or bleeding gums.

I have swollen gums. Its weird and is starting to really bother me.

There is no way I could floss, my gums are way too sensitive! I have really good teeth generally, never had anything done at the dentist and don't need anything done an I never floss! I use a really good toothbrush (electric) and a good toothpaste and then mouthwash twice per day.

The bleeding is just due to increased blood volume. I'm also on aspirin which might me contributing to the bleeding ...

Its a catch 22. You aren't flossing, so your gums are the way they are. Your gums won't improve unless you floss. Whether they hurt or not. Also go to your dentist for a clean.

Yes, the aspirin will make you bleed more..but only if there is blood to bleed.

Definitely gently floss hun :flow: it will be worth it i promise.

It's most important that we look after our teeth well during pregnancy as the wee babies were growing use up our calcium to grow their bones, teeth and all that. Lots of ladies teeth suffer for this if we aren't taking care. Xx

I have already been to the dentist and he didn't mention anything, my teeth are perfect actually. Pretty sure it is just the aspirin as I have been bruising easily and had bad nosebleeds too!

They only bleed on the odd occasion when I'm brushing, never at any other time so I'm probably just banging my gums with the brush or something. Im a pretty aggressive brusher and I use a firm brush with the plastic bits which floss as well. I also consume lots of calcium (milky cereal every morning, cheese most days and yoghurt most days)

I floss every single day and brush my teeth the recommended 2 minutes and this is the first time I got really painful gums. It only lasted a few days though.

Its a catch 22. You aren't flossing, so your gums are the way they are. Your gums won't improve unless you floss. Whether they hurt or not. Also go to your dentist for a clean.

Yes, the aspirin will make you bleed more..but only if there is blood to bleed.

<-- this exactly. Your gums are sensitive because you don't floss. It's a symptom of gingivitis: teeth may be perfect but diseased sensitive gums are 99% due to not flossing. Oral health is 50% gums, 50% teeth. Food bits get caught inbetween your teeth & gums causing sensitivity, halitosis, receding gum line, and scaling & rot on sides of teeth (eventually causing tooth decay as well). Gingivitis symptoms increase slowly and are irritated more with hormonal changes (being pregnant) 1. swollen inflamed gums which results in 2. sensitivity and increases to 3.receding gum line on teeth (irreversible) 4. bleeding gums. The #1 sign of gingivitis is sensitive gums, #2 is bleeding swollen gums. If your dentist says you never need to floss I'd be switching dentists:winkwink:

I'm a dental hygienist so I encourage you to floss, floss, floss!! If you can't floss or don't like to, invest in a waterpik!! Get an electric toothbrush!! Your gums will thank you and it will be so much better for baby. Pre-term labor and low birth weight are linked to gum disease!! If you're gums are swollen and bleeding and if you haven't gotten your teeth cleaned in a while, go to the dentist! It may be best for you and baby to maybe even get your teeth cleaned every 3 or 4 months during pregnancy ( even if insurance won't cover it)....Just some helpful hints :thumbup:

Also never use a firm brush because you'll be wearing away your enamel in the long term, as well as cause your gums to recede. Always use a soft brush.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-B-Action-Electric-Toothbrush-Replacement/dp/B003U9V7PK

these are the toothbrush and heads I use. I also use this toothpaste which has antiseptic ingredients:
https://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Euthymol-Original-Toothpaste-75ml_868667/

I'm just confused as I go to a very reputable dentist, I have never had a tooth removed or a filling or any other dental work other than the odd scale and polish which they do as part of the checkup anyway. I always consider myself to have really good teeth and now I'm freaking out that all my teeth are going to fall out or something. I bought floss today but it just made my gums hurt. My dentist has never really had to give me advice on how to look after my teeth as my mum drummed it into me from a young age.
I actually had to look pretty hard to find floss here! It isn't really the done thing where I live it seems! I'm guessing you are us based?

Also I always use a firm
Toothbrush when not using my electric one as I feel it gives a much better clean? Isn't that what I should be doing? Soft ones just go frayed within a day or two!

Soft brushes shouldn't go frayed within a day or two, if they do it is a sign you are putting too much pressure on it which will damage your teeth and gums over time. This will be much worse if you use a firm toothbrush. Always use a medium bristle brush.
Floss and interdental cleaning aids are very common here in the UK, you just need to know where to look. Have u been for a checkup recently and did you have some cleaning done at the same time? If not, I would advise having a clean done asap and returning to see your dentist in any case if your gums remain sore. Flossing shouldn't be sore, your technique may need checked and your dentist can help you with this.

I have checkup a every 6 months, I'm just about due another but I have to wait to get my exemption certificate through which I won't get for another few weeks.

I got floss in boots but the interdental brushes were all massive - my teeth are really tight together. According to a website I read (probably NHS but not sure) it is more common for flossing to hurt when pregnant anyway. I'm sure all the bleeding is just due to the aspirin as I have had a 24 hour nosebleed (on and off, not severe either) an. I bled for a while after getting a cut on my hand. I am also covered in bruises. I'm basically bleeding everywhere! Haha!

Hi loeylo, where are you from that they don't floss? I'm on aspirin and Injectible blood thinners twice/day and my blood is so thin my doc told me NOT to get into any accidents as I'd die in a few seconds by bleeding out:saywhat: I have 2 conditions that cause blood lots when pregnant which cause mc without serious blood thinners. BUT, my gums have never bled. My nose yes because I live in Canada and it's so dry in Calgary that you can get electrocuted by shocks just by putting static clothes on:haha:

If your dentist is good, he'll have a baseline measurement for receding gums and be educating you on things like hard vs soft brushes, flossing, brushing twice/day, not eating acidic or constant sugary foods. Brushing too hard will make your gums recede exposing tender areas of your tooth. Then everytime you drink/eat hot/cold it'll leave you with terrible zings. Some electric toothbrushes have a light that comes on when your brushing too hard, teaches you what pressure is appropriate for healthy gums. The ladies here have all had excellent advice, I'd get in to see a dentist as soon as your able too.

I work at a dentist in Australia and although we are constantly telling people to floss, they don't always do it. People don't understand how bad it is not to!

Agree with pp that if your soft toothbrush is going frayed that quickly then you are pressing WAY too hard when brushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->