Doc says possible PCOS- Advise please?

melon#1

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I'm TTC & I stopped taking the pill, dianette, after being on it for 9 years to control my acne.

Acne & greasy skin flared up after stopping this straight away! My periods haven't returned either. It's now been 5 months.

I just knew something wasn't quite right & went to the docs. He gave me provera to bring on AF & sent me for cycle day 3 bloods.

My appt is on August 28th, I can't get in any earlier! I've spoke to the doc over the phone about the bloods & he's told me not to worry but he said I do meet some of the criteria for PCOS. Whatever that means!

To confirm it I need a scan on the 28th. Does anyone know what this entails?

I just know I've got it & although it's only been 5 months since I stopped the pill, I'm worried that if PCOS is confirmed, he'll send me away to, "see what my body will do on its own" before starting any clomid treatment or something similar.

I feel that if that is the case, it will be torture as these 5 short months have been.

Does anyone know the NHS procedures are for presribing something like clomid for PCOS sufferers? Should I prepare myself for a very long journey, even to just get such treament? Has this happened to anyone?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :cry:
xxxx

Hi Melon,

firstly don't panic just yet. It's early days, and plenty of women still conceive with PCOS. If it is confirmed, you will likely get medication for it. You don't need to go on Clomid, but they may do so. They are likely to give you something like "Metformin" which is just as effective with PCOS suffers. They may do an internal scan, which is kind of like a pap smear.

Never prepare for a long journey - we can't prepare, we just hang on.

Best of luck.

PCOS doesn't have to mean that you can't get pregnant easily. I got my :bfp: after just a few months TTC (since then no luck, but hey, it happened once).

The doctor probably means that your hormone levels are consistant with PCOS, but the doctors like to see an vaginal ultrasound of the ovaries before a definite diagnosis.

I'm not sure about the UK, but in the Netherlands you don't have to wait to start on Clomid. You can start as soon as you get a SA for your partner. Metformin is also an option, particularly if you also have problems with your insulin levels. I didn't (and am also normal weight) so that's why I started Clomid rather than Met.

Hi Melon, I'm in the Uk so i will tell you what happened with me.

I had my first appointment in May and this is when the doctor suspected PCOS (I had all the blood tests) at this point my cycles were irregular and long so he put me on Metformin straight away and told me to come back in 3 months to see if its helped.

So i went back at the beginning of August and had an internal scan to look at my ovaries and at this point the dr confirmed it was PCOS. My cycles still hadn't really sorted themselves out so he has now put me on clomid to see if he can get me to ovulate earlier. At this point i'm still waiting to see if this works.

I hope this helps a bit. So its been 4 months now since my first appointment and we're still trying.

PCOS isn't a scary thing as so many women have it and fall pregnant so don't worry yourself too much yet!

Good luck!

Dear NeyNey, Diana_ & MillieMoo,

Thank you very much for your words of wisdom, you have put my mind at rest! I think it's the not-knowing that is awful. Although, I've prepared myself for the idea that I have got PCOS.

Let's hope my doc is as helpful as all of yours.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for your help.

Melon

melon,
i had some blood tests back mid june which i got the results back a couple of weeks later, & my lh hormone was raised, pointing towards possibly having pcos. i'd already mentally prepared myself for that diagnosis. within a few weeks, i'd had a scan, the scanning woman (don't know her official title) was really nice, & said she couldn't see anything major, so if there is anything, it's likely to be a milkd case. i need to call my doctor & arrange a follow up appointment.
when the doctor saw me after my bloods, she mentioned being put on metformin, so i reckon it'll be that if necessary.
good luck - if you want to talk to someone in a similar position, you can always message me.
*hugs*
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"