Doctor Messed Up

Ktcanta

Reaction score
Four weeks ago, our OB told us that he was 93% sure that we were having a girl. We had a gender reveal party for our family and had a name picked out. Well, today during our 20 week scan, there were some definite boy parts!!! We are thrilled to have a healthy baby boy! Luckily we hadn't painted the room pink or bought tutus yet...thank goodness! So a word of advice--don't jump the gun and go overboard on the gender excitement if your OB tells you early! :haha:

Four weeks ago, our OB told us that he was 93% sure that we were having a girl. We had a gender reveal party for our family and had a name picked out. Well, today during our 20 week scan, there were some definite boy parts!!! We are thrilled to have a healthy baby boy! Luckily we hadn't painted the room pink or bought tutus yet...thank goodness! So a word of advice--don't jump the gun and go overboard on the gender excitement if your OB tells you early! :haha:

Wow. Glad to hear your taking it in stride. Congrats!

LOL im glad im not the only one that asks twice i wanted to make sure i was having a girl

Oh dear! But glad you are having a healthy boy, congrats! I actually saw my baby boys bits at the 20 week scan before the tech did! But I did double check at a repeat scan yest just for piece of mind and she even gave us a scan pic of his bits as proof lol, there was no denying that! Xxx

I was told boy at my 20wk scan and then the little exhibitionist had his legs akimobo for the world to see his bits when I went back for another scan a week later. The technician actually laughed and said..."Well, definitely a boy and definitely not shy!" Haha. Glad to hear you're taking it in your stride and hadn't gone too bananas buying pink bits!

Welcome to team blue!

I had a scan at 19 and 21 weeks and both said girl but I'm worried about this. I have another scan next week at 28 weeks do if they also say girl, I might feel a little better.

Congratulations on your healthy boy :)

Congrats on your son!

I just posted recently about my surprise that so many people do sexing ultrasounds at 16 weeks given the relatively high rate of them being wrong that early.

Congrats on your son!

I just posted recently about my surprise that so many people do sexing ultrasounds at 16 weeks given the relatively high rate of them being wrong that early.

I agree with you. Sixteen week scans determining girl are often incorrect simply because the area is still small. With my first pregnancy, my sixteen week scan didn't tell us a THING and I ended up waiting till 34 weeks to find out what we were having. I much prefer waiting till closer to 20 weeks simply because the chances of a wrong gender are much smaller. Yup, it means being patient (I've got a month to go!!), but I want as close a guarantee as I can get! I don't wanna get burned again!

Congrats on your son!

I agree with you. Sixteen week scans determining girl are often incorrect simply because the area is still small. With my first pregnancy, my sixteen week scan didn't tell us a THING and I ended up waiting till 34 weeks to find out what we were having. I much prefer waiting till closer to 20 weeks simply because the chances of a wrong gender are much smaller. Yup, it means being patient (I've got a month to go!!), but I want as close a guarantee as I can get! I don't wanna get burned again!

Totally. I know people are desperate to know the sex, as evidenced by scrutinizing early ultrasound photos for signs of a nub, a slope of the skull, a placenta on one side, and so forth. But the truth is...none of these things work reliably. Chinese gender charts, swaying, a needle over the belly, whatever that cabbage juice trick was....those and all the ultrasound theory approaches would be used a lot more by actual people in the medical community if they worked with any remote reliability.

My advice, just be patient and get excited about your child without focusing so much on if they will be a boy or girl. You have their entire lives to shower them with gender expectations and plan nursery design and wardrobes and so forth. I was happy to find out what sex my child was, but to no greater degree than I was to find out anything about her, and much less degree than I was to find out that she was healthy, to all appearances.

I am so gratified to see how well the OP has taken this little hiccup because once you know the sex, you start picturing the child as that sex. I hope if I found out they were wrong I would be able to shift over as well as she did!! Good job OP!

Totally. I know people are desperate to know the sex, as evidenced by scrutinizing early ultrasound photos for signs of a nub, a slope of the skull, a placenta on one side, and so forth. But the truth is...none of these things work reliably. Chinese gender charts, swaying, a needle over the belly, whatever that cabbage juice trick was....those and all the ultrasound theory approaches would be used a lot more by actual people in the medical community if they worked with any remote reliability.

My advice, just be patient and get excited about your child without focusing so much on if they will be a boy or girl. You have their entire lives to shower them with gender expectations and plan nursery design and wardrobes and so forth. I was happy to find out what sex my child was, but to no greater degree than I was to find out anything about her, and much less degree than I was to find out that she was healthy, to all appearances.

I am so gratified to see how well the OP has taken this little hiccup because once you know the sex, you start picturing the child as that sex. I hope if I found out they were wrong I would be able to shift over as well as she did!! Good job OP!

Bingo. There wasn't any skull or nub theories floating around during my last pregnancy, and I totally fell for it when I came here. LOL It wasn't until I looked into it and found that they're not accurate that I got schooled.

The HOT topic on pregnancy forums around the world is...
The angle of the dangle topic​
Q. Can they tell the sex of baby at 12 week scan ?
A. At around 12 weeks a sonographer may make a 'best guess' as to the gender of baby from a scan, but this can, and will be, only a little better than 50/50.

Sure, it's fun to do the old wives things and speculate on skulls or nubs, but I think that if you put too much interest in it, you're just going to be disappointed. All of it is just a guess anyway till at the earliest 14 weeks when a little winkie of a boy might be easily identified.

congratulations on team blue :) boys are so much fun!!

Oh wow...seems a lot of these cases. But welcome to team blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->