Doctor says that my baby's weight is below normal

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Hopes, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Hopes

Hopes Well-Known Member

Hello ladies
    As the title says my baby weights 11.4 Ib at 3 months old, do u this is normal, she is a very poor feeder and hardly manages to finish 90 ml every 3 hours..she is on formula 'bebelac' as advised from the dc. But i really want her to drink more milk ,, any advise would be very appreciated

2. loobylou99

loobylou99 Well-Known Member

Doesnt sound that bad to me? My LO cant be far off that. I dont get her weighed very often as i prefer to use my own common sense. I dont know how much she drinks because she is bf but she is happy and i know she is putting on weight. She has her 2nd injections soon and i know they will weigh her then so i wont bother going to the clinic. Every baby is different though, trust your judgement, you cant force her to take more if she dont want it. If she is happy and filling her nappies i wouldnt worry too much about following what a little red book tells you.:flower:

3. nugget80

nugget80 Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me. At 12 weeks my lo weighed 11lb 12oz. He hates his milk and has been slow to gain but is happy and healthy which is more important.

4. mummy2lola

mummy2lola Mum to 2 trying for 3

That sounds like a normal weight to me hun,how much did bubba weigh at birth? It's very stressful wen baby doesn't want to feed and u must b worrying constantly but as long as the weight is going up and not down then that's a positive Hun xx

5. Hopes

Hopes Well-Known Member

Thnks all but i didnt think about her weight before,, its just the way she feed is soo poor cz wen i offer her the bottle she keeps playing with the nipple
    Or sleep but i make her take it and sometimes it takes half an hour for her yo finish and she never cries for food except if its after5 to 6 hours!

6. summer rain

summer rain Mum of 5

Its below the middle line on the chart (just below the 25th line) at least on the UK charts but this doesn't mean underweight xx

7. Leanne09

Leanne09 Mum of 2 boys x

That doesnt sound bad to me. Charlie weighs 12lbs 9 at the mo x

8. Itsychik

Itsychik Well-Known Member

I think most doctors think babies are either too big or too small... :shrug:

At 3 months my LO weighed 13lbs, but they say that boys are often heavier than girls.

What happens when your LO drinks the 90mls? Does she just refuse to drink anymore? My LO will refuse to drink sometimes until he gets burped/winded...

9. amygwen

amygwen Mom to Kenny & Gwendoline

Sounds really normal to me?

10. torch2010

torch2010 Well-Known Member

My Lo is 12 weeks and weighs 12lb 13oz. She was 2 weeks early and weighed 6lb 7oz. My friends little boy was 11lb 7oz at 12 weeks x

11. Neko

Neko Well-Known Member

Your baby's weight sounds fine. Half of all babies weight is "below normal".

12. prettykitty

prettykitty loving been a new mum!

Our LO was only 5lb 14oz at birth - she never lost any weight after birth like babies often do and was always gaining. She's still gaining but when checked a few weeks ago she was 9lb 4oz and they wernt happy :s

She's taking her feed fine and she's mega long. So we have to take her back this week (she will be 11 wks then) and see what they say. But I'm so proud of her & all babies are different & she's healthy & well - so I wouldn't worry about their charts hunny. I know it's guidelines & they have to advise but your the LO ones mum xx

13. Hopes

Hopes Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, she was 7 lb. at birth so her weight was good and I also gave up breastfeeding because she was very lazy,, she used to latch on and sleep after 2 mins and she stayed like that for 1 month and then I started bumping so she started to drink her milk but then again she started playing with nipple and projectile vomit once every 3 days... It's really frustrating and now I gave up and I have been giving her formula.

14. Hopes

Hopes Well-Known Member

Oh and I forgot to say that she doesn't demand more when she finishes her 90 ml, she takes half an hour to finish her bottle!

15. summer rain

summer rain Mum of 5

From my understanding your LO is considered to be on the same line on the charts as at birth; just double checked the UK growth charts and this is indeed the case-your LO was born just above the 25th line and now is slightly below it, anything more than halfway up towards a centile line is classed as still being on that centile. This may sound like jargon but the basic jist is; your baby is gaining weight fine and not underweight. Now what you describe with regard to the feeding; and it being similar when BF and bottle fed screams 'tongue tie' to me or maybe an other issue with the mouth such as a high palate (roof of mouth), lip tie or receding lower jaw, with the other issues you may need to look into a different type of bottle or even something like a haberman feeder but with the tongue tie its a simple operation to have it fixed and it can make such a huge difference xx