Doctor vs. Midwife - Which do you prefer?

PugMama22

Reaction score
Hey girls! I was wondering which you prefer - doctor or midwife and WHY?

I had midwfie led care with my first and I'm having it again this time around. with the care I had I seen the same midwife everytime I had a hospital appointment and she delivered my daughter, it was lovely! I had built up a rappour with her and trusted her very much.

But i suppose if there is complications or anything a doctor is advantageous!

I had a doc for my first which worked out for me as I went into preterm labor which them managed to stop but then I had 36 hrs of labor followed by an emergency C-section. Some of my friend swear by mid wives so I think which ever way you go it will be fine

https://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttd3bc4.aspx

PugMama just so you know the US and the UK use midwives differently. If you are having a low risk pregnancy in the US a midwife is a great option. They are more in tune to you and what is going on and spend more time with education and teaching. If you have any complications she will switch you over to a doc in her group. Midwives generally also spend more time with you during the birthing process, rather than just catching the baby last minute! So if you are looking for a more personal experience, and looking to be a part of the decision making a midwife is a better option IMO!

i dont mind as long as they do their jobs properly. they should both be trained well in what to do :)

I dont mind but i wouldnt choose midwifry lead i`d like the doctors to be not too far away xx

i need a doc cause of my repeat sections - i think i would perfer a doc if i had a choice i feel like they know more

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two in the US? I know that a mid-wife can't perform a c-section, but is that the only difference?

I prefer a Midwife so she knows what she is doing wit her job and sort out interpreters for me whilst doctors dont do that!

With my first pregnancy with my son, I had a midwife up to 32 weeks pregnant then transferred to a Consultant due to my low BMI and weight, and in labour I had a midwife there with me. But in the end of day I had a c-section everyone was in there with me. :) X

There is a big difference in the US between Doctor care and midwife care. Most OBs are train to look for problems, and are not educated when it comes to a normal, non-medicated, non intervention birth. Most of the time you will only spend a few minutes with your OB during your appointment. Your birth will be much more controlled in a hospital, and your options for your birth will be very limited.

Midwife care is much more whole in my opinion. You will spend at least 45 minutes with your midwife per appointment. They will ask you about your physical, mental and emotional health, and often want to know how your partner is doing as well.

Depending on where you choose to birth with a midwife, you will have more options for your birth. Midwives as a rule don't automatically use intervention methods Doctors commonly use. A midwife won't induce you, she won't put you on a drip as soon as your labor start, and she won't put you on a clock once your labor starts.

It really depends on what you want out of your birth experience. If you want a natural non medicated birth on your terms, find a midwife.

The Business of Being Born is a really great documentary about the situation in the US when it comes to birth.

I used a midwife for my son, and even though I transfer to the hospital, and ended up having a c-section, I will be using a midwife this time as well. The care is far superior in my opinion. If I went to an OB, I would have almost no choice in trying for a VBAC, most doctors just refuse to do them.

Samantha said it perfectly.

I'm in the U.S. and am using a midwife/birth center. In the U.S., only about 10-15% of women go this route - which is really unfortunate. Unlike traditional OB/hospital care, midwives believe that pregnancy and childbirth are a natural process that can take time, patience, and emotional support. Good midwives, who follow this philosophy, will not treat you like a number, and during labor do not expect you to follow a certain pattern. In the hospitals, if you aren't following their 'pattern' of how they think labor should go, they start up with the interventions. I know only one person who had an intervention-free hospital delivery! That's it! I find it hard to believe that so many women 'need' these interventions.

Not to mention, by going with a midwife/free standing birth center I will be allowed to choose my position for labor and delivery. I will be encouraged to eat and drink, and won't be told when and how to push. I definitely feel like it's the right choice for me.

thank you for all your responses! this is my first baby and ive heard great things about both. I am from the US and I guess I automatically assumed a doctor rather than midwife bc that is what most women do! I am going to keep researching. Is a doula the same as a midwife? My friend had a doula and an OB.

A doula is somebody meant to offer 'support' in labor and be an advocate for you - a midwife is more educated about the actual physical aspects of labor and handling complications such as a shoulder distocia, when to push, etc.

You need a midwife, a doula is a highly recommended bonus. . .especially if you are using an OB and want somebody to advocate for you.

HTH! :)

Midwife hands down!!! Although if you are in the small minority that needs medical intervention, Doctors are great. It doesn't mean you have to give up your mw though.

Midwives do still include the option for medication but it is not their first route as an OB's might be.
As for a doula you may be able to find a volunteer doula in your area. They are also free to military wives, as their husbands may be deployed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->