Doctors/Midwives

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Kirstin, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Kirstin

Kirstin Well-Known Member

Just wondering (in the UK) when you first get a :bfp: do you go to the doctors or contact a midwife? I assumed you went to the doctors and they would put you in touch with a midwife but I've just read somewhere else you can contact a midwife directly?

2. Tinkxabell

Tinkxabell Active Member

Hi, I did about 5 hpt then a digital just to make sure. The next day I called my doctors and they gave me the midwifes number. I called straight away and she booked me in for week 7 (Next Tues 21st). xxx

3. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Went to see my GP at 5-6 weeks and they just said come back if you get to 8 weeks and we will refer you to a midwife. I think it depends where you are in the country :)

4. babystar

babystar Guest

depends where you are. Up her ein scotand u go to GP and GP refers you to midwife and also for a scan etc :)

good luck

xxx

5. Kimboowee

Kimboowee Complete

I went to the doc, i had no clue what to do lol! He gave me a prescription for folic acid and passed my details on to the midwife.

If you give the surgery a ring im sure they'll tell you whether you need to see him first or straight to midwife x

6. jennie_78

jennie_78 Mum to Caitlin, and TTC

i visited the doctor, he then printed me a sheet out of what appointments to expect during the pregnancy. It had the midwifes number on and i had to ring an arrange an appointment.

7. puppycat

puppycat Mum & PAL

I went to the Dr who checked my HB and listened to my chest then referred me to the MW. He also sent me to have blood taken.

That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard from the MW to arrange anything.

I had a leaflet from the DRs which said I could expect an appt with the MW at about 9 weeks so I guess I wait?! (It also had her phone number written on which is useful but I'm too scared to call her!)

8. Fluxuspoem

Fluxuspoem Mama

Depends on which part of the country you are as the girls said above. Usually the GP will refer you to the midwife team of the relevang area hospital in London

9. staceymy

staceymy Mummy To Two Princesses

I saw my doctor both times. Then had to fill a form for the midwife at the reception. MW got in contact with me a few weeks later at 7wks for booking in appt.

10. Mynx

Mynx Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!

I saw my GP and they have a community MW who holds appointments at the surgery once a week. I booked in with her at reception but managed to get a quicker appointment. When I saw her, she took my history, blood, urine, weight, height, bmi etc and then said she'd contact the hospital about a dating scan etc. I got the date for my scan within a few days :)

11. Kirstin

Kirstin Well-Known Member

I phoned and asked the doctors and they said doctors first:)

12. Lazy Leo

Lazy Leo Well-Known Member

I went to the doctors who then sent my details to the maternity hopital. They arranged for my booking in appointment and dating scan at what should have been 12 weeks (it was actually 11) and then i was told to make an appointment to see a midwife for four weeks later. So I won't see a midwife until nearly 16 weeks.