Doctors, nurses, or medical personell?

jjbubbles28

Reaction score
I am still TTC, but I am a manager and veterinary nurse for 3 practices. When you conceived were there any things you avoided? Im assuming to wear gloves with all meds, anesthetics, and handling sick or feline patients, and no heavy lifting. Is there anything else Im not thinking of?

Is toxoplasmosis that you have to watch for from cat faeces although cat owners and possibly vets may well already be immune.
As in any workplace you need to do a risk assessment, you should be able to get the info from a hse website. Do you have a hr department? Normally them or a line manager will do it with you.
I think a lot of people are over cautious, you can basically carry on as normal but be careful with chemicals and obviously don't go into xray rooms.
Xx

None of the above, but I can say that the heavy lifting ban is crap. I work at Target and within 14 hours of my IVF transfer, I was lifting and hauling 40 pound bags of dog food, 20-40 pounds of litter, and the laundry detergent comes 4 to a box, and I was manhandling those half the night. Still got a 3+ on the digital this morning.

That said, I guess you're conceiving the old-fashioned way, so you might just want to be careful you don't tweak your back and then not feel up to the 'trying' part of ttc.

You should also be okay with the sick animals since most of those ailments aren't going to cross the species barrier. Check with the vet to be sure, but a sick bunny or horse is unlikely to share the germs with you in a meaningful way.

Good luck to you!!!!

Chelle

There are only certain meds to be careful handling without gloves. Finasteride is one of them but that is the only one I was told not to touch (worked at a pharmacy for five years). Other than that, the taxowhatever disease. But most other diseases are not transferable between pets and humans.

I worked in a mixed practice when I was pregnant with my first so had to be careful with any lambs/ewes and the clothing that the vets wore when out on farm etc because of the risk of toxo. I was tested with both pregnancies and have never been exposed to it despite doing the job for 8 years, fostering cats and kittens and handling feral cats so I avoided handling litter trays where possible or wore gloves.
I avoided gaseous anaesthesia-masking or using the tank for the first trimester but still did normal anaesthetic monitoring and stayed away from radiography for the entire pregnancy.
I did still lift dogs, bags of food etc but was careful not to injure my back by following the manual handling guidlines.

I worked as an emergency room nurse during my first pregnancy. It was rough, but mainly I avoided the trauma bay (due to continuous xrays) unless in very few instances where I had on a vest. Other than that I did almost anything, until the end. I had to turn very heavy patients, pull on them, sedation, etc. My doctor knew my job (actually he would see me there during his consults) and told me it was fine unless it hurt or made me uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->