Does age gap really make a difference in TTC? :S

OwlBump

Hubby, Son and Bump
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just curious more than anything.. Me and my OH were looking up if age makes a difference to male fertility (Just curious!) and came across this:

"The older a man is, the longer it will take him to get his partner pregnant. The chance of conception taking more than a year is:
about eight per cent when the man is under 25
about 15 per cent when the man is over 35

An age gap can make a difference, too . If a woman's partner is at least five years older than her, she has less chance of conceiving within a year than if her partner is the same age. That's the case whatever the woman's age.
https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a564598/dads-how-your-age-can-affect-your-fertility-and-your-babys-health#ixzz2e0gyCYQd"

This may well have been breaking news at some point but it's new to me! Starting to wonder if its some of the reason why me and OH have been trying 8 months without charting, using kits etc with no luck there's 8 years between us. i'm 21 and he's 29 and i'm now using temp charts and OPK :)

Anyone with a larger age gap taking "longer" ?

I'm 23 and my husband is nearly 30, could explain why it's taking us 3 years :haha: I don't really believe it's down to age though!

How long have you been TTC?

I was finding it a little hard to believe haha, now i think about it i know a couple that are 22 and 31 that have been popping them out yearly for 3 years running :p

We've been trying for 8 months without charting just kinda guessing when to BD but this month I've started to chart so i'm hoping for more luck this next few months :)

:dust:

Yeah that's great, why don't you use OPKs? That's what my husband and I was doing, just sort of guessing when to bed for the last few years but since I've come on here I've gotten my self lots of tools to help me. Good luck xx

Wooops I started to use OPK's the same time as Temping (a few days ago) just to see if it helps me understand my charts better.

I've found it so helpful on here seeing what people recommend; i must say this is not something i'd have decided to do without see its help people first :D

Good luck to you xx

I certainly think age has a factor in it.. ie a 40 year old woman will take longer than the average 25 year old woman to conceive due to fertility. But I don't beleive that age gaps have anything to do with it!

There's 5 years between me and my husband (I'm 25 and he's 30) and it normally takes us a few months xx

Knowing someone who has a big age gap and are very fertile is just anecdotal evidence and doesn't disprove anything, one couple don't represent the average. And you can "not believe" it, but the evidence is still there. If you select show references and then go to the research article they got this fact from then you can read the research article where the information was obtained from a large sample of couples (14 893).

This is where they got that information from.
https://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/8/1703.full.pdf+html
It may be considered that logistic regression is not sensitive enough to untangle the different independent relationships of two variables that are so very closely related as maternal and paternal age. We investigated this in more detail by looking at the influence of the age difference between the woman and the man on the likelihood of delayed conception. After adjusting for female age together with all the other factors in the logistic regression model, women whose partners who were ≥5 years older than themselves (n = 1949) had a reduced chance of conception both within 6 and 12 months when compared to women whose partners were the same age or younger (n = 2288). For conception within 6 months, the odds ratio was 0.84 (95% CI 0.71, 0.98; P = 0.007) and for conception within 12 months 0.73 (95% CI 0.59, 0.89; P = 0.001). Thus it is likely that there is an independent relationship between the man's age and delayed conception.

my dad is 14 years older and it took my mum 3 months to conceive me and 6 months with my sister. He was in his forties when my sister was conceived.

It may be true but not in every case so anyone with age gaps don't lose hope

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->