does anyone else have a family history of genetic disease?

mrskx0x0

Scarlett's Mummy
Reaction score
sorry, me again.

I was just wondering,

did you decide to have screening or any kind of medical help with ttc or have you just decided to go for it? My cousin has Cystic Fibrosis and we suspect that my Grandather's sister had it also (she died before WW2 before she reached her teens).

My Auntie would be upset if she knew me and DH haven't even had any tests done but I really don't want any invasive procedures. My friend (who has a gorgeous DD) doesn't understand. She says it's natural to be worried but that's easy for her to say, she has no family history of anything and she has never had a miscarriage :cry: Before my chemical pregnancy I never thought something like that could happen to me but it did.

:hug:

Cystic Fibrosis is in my DH side of the family, his young nephew has it, and so has one of his cousins. apparently the test is only a saliva swab so not too bad, saying that DH hasn't had it yet, but as our family don't know we are ttc we've decided to wait until I'm pg before doing it. There's no history of it in my family though, so if DH does have the gene and I don't then our children won't suffer from it but may carry the gene onto their children. Is there any history in your OH side of the family, or just yours?

He has no family history of anything thank goodness. I am worried if we get tested it will come up as both positive and then I will be terrified! saliva isn't so bad, I might ring NHS direct and ask if we can get it done locally. Thanks for mentioning that :hugs:

Try not to worry about it too much, if there's no history of it in your OH family, then it's unlikely he will carry the gene. You never know, you might not even carry it! When I get pg DH will have the test first, and if it's positive then I'll have it as well. But there's no history of it on my side so I'm not worrying too much yet. :hug:

Okay, I will join you in the not worrying :) I just know it's the first thing my Auntie will say- definitely before congratulations lol. bfp will = big fat test lol. Thanks xxx

It's the first thing my in laws will say to us as well...Get Tested!!!!.....and then congrats! :rofl:

Hey hun. OH and I went through a horrendous scare with our LO who failed her CF screening, but passed her further tests. This means that she's a carrier of the disease.

In order for you to have a child with CF, you BOTH have to be carriers, and even then there is still a chance a child would be born a carrier, and not have the disease.

OH and I are planning on sitting genetic tests before we TTC next year, but if they come back that we are both carriers then we will not have any more children, and look at other options such as donation or adoption. I think now there is even embryonic treatment that can be done, so the child is biologically yours, and you carry it too.

OH and I could both be carriers, we have no idea yet. If we are, for me, personally, it's not something I could do as the risks are so high. I won't be TTC before the tests are complete, but that's my personal decision.

Why does everything have to be so hard for us sensible responsible people? I almost wish I could be like the people on jeremy kyle lol. Tried to ring NHS direct (again) and (as usual) they are experiencing "exceptionally high call volumes", if the volume is constant then it can't be described as "exceptional" can it? :hissy: Thanks rafwife

Sorry i just found this thread whilst searching about CF, My son has this, he is 7 months and was diagnosed in the early weeks. I know media etc make this disease sound awful and yes of course i would do anything to take this away from my son. My OH and i are obviously carriers but were completley unaware as have never heard of it on either side. To diagnose Max he had to have a 'sweat test' which is completley harmless and doesnt affect baby at all, so im sure the test for you wouldnt be painful :)

You would never tell that Max has this, honestly he is just like any other child his age and is a massive 21.11lb at 7 months! Im extremly proud :D

They are also currently running a pilot study into gene therapy which will be tested on CF patients in 2010, fingers crossed this will be the cure to help my little boy :happydance:

Sorry if i have gone off subject a tad, i just wanted to put across the happy side of CF!

:hugs: I hope everything works out for you, will be keeping fingers crossed! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->