Does anyone give a formula feed alongside bfing?

Finsmummy

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
I did this with my 1st baby. DH would give 1 bottle in the evening to allow me to have a stretch of 4-5 hrs sleep, which made me cope better in the earlier days. Trouble is I have tried expressing for this feed but I cant get enough.

Any others do this and happy with giving a formula feed?

i did every 3 days but it got to be a pain so i've stopped for now- will start again in a few weeks. it didnt do my lo any harm but it was infrequent.

If you supplement with formula, your body makes less milk. You need the demand from your child to stimulate the supply. If you want to start expressing milk for that feed, you will have to work on stimulating your supply for that time of day. It may take a while and I'm not an expert at that.

In the first 6 weeks its important to pump every time LO has a feed if you're not nursing to stimulate supply.

However, if you are happy with the arrangement, then I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
I had to pump exclusively for a while at first and I did use formula to help me get 'ahead' on my pumping so after his bottle of BM, I'd pump for the next feed etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->