Does anyone give the occasional formula feed?

jovi_girl

Reaction score
Thomas is still completely breastfed and i dont intend on stopping anytime soon. And we havent really started him on solids yet so breastmilk is all he knows.....

However, i really hate expressing and would really like for him to take the odd formula feed when we go out. I just tried him with a bottle and he screamed the house down. Hes had plenty of bottles of EBM so i know its not the bottle - its whats inside it.....Should i try a different brand of formula? Should i just persevere with the brand i have? Any ideas how long it will take him to get used to it? It's been a very stressful morning...:wacko:

When did he last have a bottle? Aisling doesn't seem to care whether she has formula or ebm but if it's been a few weeks since she's had a bottle she'll just cry and refuse. I've now decided to ditch the bottles and give it to her in her doidy cup instead which works better.

I'd say give the same formula a try again just in case that's not the issue or you'll end up spending a fortune! Otherwise, you might just have to try other brands and see how you go. Good luck :hugs:

Hi I have given my lo aptimil. He is ok taking it if someone else fives it to him but if I try he gets very cross and distressed!! He also likes it really warm, almost to the point that I thinks it's too hot!! But obviously not burning temp!!! How about seeing if someone else can give it to him whilst u r in another room?!
Hope u find a solution
bonnie

I give one ff at night, and have on a couple of occasions used instant ff when out and about if I don't have any EBM handy as I don't feel comfortable BF'ing in public.
What formula are you using? I use Aptamil 1 (as it is a breast feeding supplement) It is supposed to be close to breast milk, luckily my LO seems to like it.

I know that they say that it takes a baby 15 tries of some foods when weaning to get used to a new taste so i assume it might be the same with formula?

I've started giving Ryan the odd FF in the evening so that we don't run into problems later on and also so that I can express a bit - as Ryan still feeds every 2 hours in the day and only sleeps for 30mins I can't fit expressing in any other way! Luckily we've always given him his gaviscon/ gripe water in a bottle so he's fine with that but it has taken a few formula feeds for him not to cry when starting a FF.

I started by warming the formula just to take the cold edge off - so that it doesn't feel either hot or cold when i put a drop on my wrist IYKWIM? Then I have gradually reduced the warming and now he's happy to have it cold straight from the carton, which is really useful if we're out and about. Althought I do still warm it if I'm giving formula as his pre-bedtime feed as it seems to make him more sleepy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->